Friday, 30 November 2012

Castle Crine

THE BUTLERS WERE MAJOR LANDOWNERS IN COUNTY CLARE, WITH 11,389 ACRES

WILLIAM BUTLER, of Rossroe Castle, County Clare, serving as High Sheriff of the county in 1712, left a daughter, Anne, wife of St John Bridgeman, and two sons, viz.
HENRY, of Rossroe Castle;
THOMAS, of Castle Crine.
The second son,

THOMAS BUTLER, of Castle Crine, was father of 

WILLIAM BUTLER, of Castlecrine, who succeeded to the landed property of his cousin, Henry Butler, of O’Brien’s Castle, in 1791.

He wedded Anne D'Alton and had issue, his son,

JAMES BUTLER, of Castle Crine, who espoused Mary, daughter of Robert Ievers, of Mount Ievers, County Clare; and died ca 1821, having had issue,

HENRY BUTLER JP DL, of Castle Crine, who married Anna, daughter of Major Irvine, and by her, he left at his decease, in 1857, three daughters, of Castle Crine, his co-heiresses, of whom only one,

Sophia Mary, married the 5th Lord Clarina.
Lady Clarina had no male issue, and on the marriage of her eldest daughter, the Hon Sophia (Zoƫ) Butler-Massey to the Hon Eric Henderson, the Castle Crine estates were settled upon her, subject to the life interests of her mother and aunts.
On the death, in 1938, of Miss Anna Butler, the last survivor, Mrs Butler-Henderson (who with her husband assumed the surname of BUTLER in addition to that of HENDERSON) succeeded to Castle Crine estate.

Her daughter, Mrs Wordsworth, resided there until 1951, when the estate was sold. 


CASTLE CRINE, near Sixmilebridge, County Clare, was a castellated late-Georgian house, comprising a two-storey block with two curved bows beside each other at one end; one with pointed Gothic windows and a three-storey tower.

Little battlements; corbelled turret on tower.

Castle Crine was demolished in 1955.

No comments: