JOHN HAMILTON ESQ (1576-1639), of Coronary, County Cavan, and Monella, County Armagh, next brother of James Hamilton, created Viscount Claneboye.
Mr Hamilton died at Killyleagh, County Down, in 1639, having married, in 1617, Sarah, daughter of Anthony Brabazon, Governor of Connaught, brother to Edward, Lord Ardee, father of William, 1st Earl of Meath, and had issue:
The Rt Hon Sir Hans, Baronet, MP;
James, of whom presently;
Francis, of Tullybreck, County Armagh.
JAMES HAMILTON, of Baileborough, County Cavan, married and was succeeded by his son,
JAMES HAMILTON, MP for Carlow. His 2nd son,
JAMES HAMILTON, of Sheephill and Holmpatrick, deputy prothonotary of the Court of King's Bench, married and had issue,
HANS HAMILTON, MP for County Dublin for thirty years. Dying in 1863, he was succeeded by his only surviving son,
THE RT HON ION TRANT HAMILTON, 1ST BARON HOLMPATRICK (1839-98).
Mr Hamilton succeeded his father as MP for County Dublin in 1863, a seat he held until 1885. He was admitted to the Irish Privy Council in 1887 and also served as Lord-Lieutenant for County Dublin, 1892-98.
In 1897, Mr Hamilton was elevated to the peerage as BARON HOLMPATRICK, of Holmpatrick, County Dublin.
Lord Holmpatrick married Lady Victoria Alexandrina, daughter of Major-General Lord Charles Wellesley and granddaughter of Arthur Wellesley, 1st Duke of Wellington, in 1877.
HANS WELLESLEY [HAMILTON] (1886-1942), 2nd Baron, DSO, MC, DL, was decorated with the Military Cross; Captain, 16th Lancers; fought in the First World War, was mentioned in despatches and was wounded; awarded Distinguished Service Order.
JAMES HANS [HAMILTON] (1928-91), 3rd Baron; an officer in the 16th/5th Lancers, 1947-52.
The 4th and present Baron lives in Cornwall.
ABBOTSTOWN HOUSE, Castleknock, County Dublin, is a two-storey house, extended at various times, though mainly early to mid-19th century.
It has a five-bay entrance front, the central bay breaking forward with a triple window above a projecting, pilastered porch.
There is a similar side elevation, with a single-storey, pillared bow in lieu of a porch; elongated by a full-height curved bow.
Abbotstown House remained the seat of the HolmPatricks until 1947, when the 3rd Baron lost part of his lands under a Compulsory Purchase Order to allow for the building of a Hospital.
Later, Lord HolmPatrick sold remaining lands at Abbotstown to the Marine Institute of Ireland, which was located at Abbotstown House until 2005, when the house was acquired for Sports Campus Ireland.
In the late 1990s, half of the lands under the ownership of the local health board were sold for development in order to finance the redevelopment of the hospital buildings.