THE BRYANS WERE MAJOR LANDOWNERS IN COUNTY KILKENNY, WITH 8,209 ACRES
The immediate ancestor of this family, JOHN BRYAN, was younger brother of James Bryan, of Bawnmore, and son of John Bryan, of Bawnmore (whose father, Lewis Bryan, had a grant from Thomas, Earl of Ormonde, of Whitewalls, alias Bawnmore, County Kilkenny, and died in 1568).
He married Anna, daughter and heir of Henry Stains, of Jenkinstown, County Kilkenny, and left a son,
JAMES BRYAN, of Jenkinstown, 1673-4, who was father of
PIERCE BRYAN, of Jenkinstown, whose will was proved in 1777. He wedded Jane, daughter of George Aylmer, of Lyons, County Kildare, and had issue,
JAMES BRYAN, of Jenkinstown, born in 1719, who died unmarried in 1805 and was succeeded by his nephew,
GEORGE BRYAN, of Jenkinstown, born in 1770; married, in 1794, Maria Louisa, Comtesse de Rutaut. His eldest son,
GEORGE BRYAN, of Jenkinstown, born in 1796, wedded and left issue, his surviving daughter,
AUGUSTA MARGARET GWENDOLINE BRYAN, who married, in 1853, Edward Joseph, 2nd Lord Bellew.
His 2nd surviving son was
GEORGE LEOPOLD BELLEW BRYAN, of Jenkinstown; who died in 1848 and was succeeded by his only son,
GEORGE LEOPOLD BRYAN JP DL, of Jenkinstown, MP for County Kilkenny; high sheriff, 1852; born in 1828.
This gentleman married, in 1849, Lady Elizabeth Georgina Conyngham, daughter of the 2nd Marquess Conyngham KP. Dying without male issue, he was succeeded by his nephew,
GEORGE LEOPOLD BELLEW-BRYAN JP DL, 4TH BARON BELLEW (1857-1935), of Jenkinstown, County Kilkenny; born in 1857; assumed the surname of BRYAN in lieu of BELLEW, by royal licence dated 1880; major, 10th Royal Hussars, and served with them throughout the Afghan campaign, for which he received medal and clasp; Lord-Lieutenant of Louth, 1898-1911.
Lady Bellew moved out in 1935, first to Kilcreene and then to Butler House on Patrick Street, Kilkenny, on an annuity of £500 a year. She died in 1973 aged 88 years and is buried at St Kieran’s cemetery.
JENKINSTOWN HOUSE, Ballyragget, County Kilkenny, was an early 19th century house in "pasteboard Gothic", following the traditional Palladian plan of a centre block joined to wings by single-storey links.
The house was built for Major George Bryan to the design of William Robertson.
There is a two-storey centre block; a two-storey projecting porch crowned with a battlemented gable and pinnacles; two-storey end towers with quatrefoil windows.
Later in the 19th century, one of the wings was re-built with corbelled bartizans; and the centre block was demolished apart from one of its walls.
The 4th Lord Bellew lived in one wing of the house; his staff in the other. Alas, by the 1930s, the house had become somewhat dilapidated.