JOHN ALEXANDER, of Eredy, County Donegal, in 1610,
"was on lands he rented from Sir James Cunninghame of Glengarnock, Ayrshire, who had acquired them on condition that he did not 'alienate the premises to no mere Irishman or any other person unless he or they first take the Oath of Supremacy".
He was succeeded by his eldest son,
THE REV ANDREW (John) ALEXANDER DD, of Eredy, a Presbyterian minister, who married Dorothea, daughter of Rev James Caulfeild. Dying ca 1641, his only child,
CAPTAIN ANDREW ALEXANDER, married twice. In 1666 he was granted the lands of Ballyclose, near Limavady, by Sir Thomas Phillips, Governor of Culmore Fort. In 1689 he was attainted by JAMES II's parliament in Dublin. His 2nd son,
JOHN ALEXANDER, married and died in 1747. His 2nd son,
NATHANIEL ALEXANDER (1689-1761), married Elizabeth, daughter of William McClintock. He was an alderman of Londonderry in 1755. His 4th son,
ROBERT ALEXANDER, (1722-90) married Anne, daughter of Henry McCullogh, in 1759.
This gentleman lived at Boom Hall, County Londonderry (so named because of its proximity to where the boom was placed during the siege). His eldest son,
THE RT REV AND RT HON NATHANIEL ALEXANDER DD (1760-1840), of Portglenone House; nephew of James, 1st Earl of Caledon; married Anne, daughter of the Rt Hon Richard Jackson MP, of Coleraine, in 1785.
This divine was Lord Bishop of Meath. He was educated at Harrow and Cambridge. Bishop Alexander, a privy counsellor, lived at Portglenone House, County Antrim, which he built, and took up residence there.
His 5th son,
HENRY ALEXANDER (1803-77), of Forkhill House, County Armagh, married Lady Louisa Juliana, daughter of Thomas Knox, 2nd Earl of Ranfurly, in 1839.
Henry Alexander was a practising barrister and High Sheriff in 1856. His eldest son,
CAPTAIN GRANVILLE HENRY JACKSON ALEXANDER JP DL (1852-1930), of Forkhill House, wedded Daisy, daughter of M Matthews, in 1880. They had no children.
Captain Alexander was a lieutenant in the the 83rd Regiment; Captain, 3rd Battalion, Royal Irish Fusiliers; High Sheriff in 1883; and a Deputy Lieutenant.
He sold most of the estate under the 'Wyndham' Land Act about 1905; and the remainder, including the mansion, in 1924.
Though known as Forkhill House, the pre-1834 building has gone, with the exception of one wing.
The part-walled demesne of 100 acres is in an outstanding position on the south- facing slopes of Tievecrom Mountain.
At the present time it is practically treeless, but the grounds contain some very interesting ornamental features that are not operational, but could be.
The ponds are drained but artificial islands, with parts of rustic buildings and a boat-house in good condition remain. A mountain top turret view point affords excellent views.
The walled garden is used for grazing. The gate lodge has been enlarged and decorated many times during the 19th century.
FIRST PUBLISHED IN AUGUST, 2010.