|Arms of 1st Earl of Abercorn|
THE RT HON SIR CLAUDE HAMILTON (c1576-1614), of Bodoney, County Tyrone, second son of Claude, 1st Lord Paisley, and brother of James, 1st Earl of Abercorn; Gentleman of the Chamber, and Privy Counsellor.
Sir Claude married the daughter and heir of Sir Robert Hamilton, Knight, and died in 1614, leaving with five younger sons, Alexander, Robert, George, Claude, and James, all of whom dsp, and an elder son and heir,
SIR WILLIAM HAMILTON, Knight, of Manor Elieston, County Tyrone, who married twice.
He was buried in Bodoney parish church, Killeter, Castlederg, County Tyrone.
The eldest son of his second marriage, with Beatrix Campbell,
CLAUD HAMILTON, of Montaloney, County Tyrone, had, by Isabella his wife, five daughters, viz. Beatrix, Mary, Agnes, Margaret, and Rebecca; and two sons,
WILLIAM, his successor;Mr Hamilton was succeeded by his eldest son,
Claud, of Strabane, ancestor of Hamilton Baronets of Woodbrook.
WILLIAM HAMILTON, of Beltrim, County Tyrone, who left, by Mary his wife, two sons and three daughters. His son,
CLAUD HAMILTON, of Beltrim, married his cousin, Letitia, daughter of Claud Hamilton, of Strabane, by whom he had,
LETITIA, of whom hereafter;Mr Hamilton was succeeded by his daughter,
LETITIA HAMILTON, of Beltrim, who espoused, in 1780, the Hon Arthur Cole MP, afterwards COLE-HAMILTON, of Skea, County Fermanagh.
Mr Cole-Hamilton was the second son of John, 1st Baron Mountflorence, and brother of William, 1st Earl of Enniskillen.
Mr Cole-Hamilton left issue,
CLAUD WILLIAM, his heir;
Letitia; Elizabeth Ann; Isabella.
CLAUD WILLIAM COLE-HAMILTON (1781-1822), who married, in 1805, Nichola Sophia, daughter of Richard Chaloner, of Kingsfort, County Meath, by whom he left at his decease, two sons,
ARTHUR WILLOUGHBY, his heir;Mr Cole-Hamilton was succeeded by his elder son,
MAJOR ARTHUR WILLOUGHBY COLE-HAMILTON JP DL (1806-91), of Beltrim Castle, who married, in 1831, Emilia Katherine, daughter of Rev Charles Cobbe Beresford, and granddaughter of the Hon John Beresford, second son of Marcus, 1st Earl of Tyrone, and brother of George, 1st Marquess of Waterford.
He had issue,
WILLIAM CLAUD, his heir;Major Cole-Hamilton was succeeded by his eldest son,
Charles Richard, Commander RN;
Arthur Henry (Rev);
John Isaac (father of Air Vice-Marshal John Cole-Hamilton);
Letitia Grace; Emily Harriet; Selina.
CAPTAIN WILLIAM CLAUD COLE-HAMILTON (1833-82), of Ballitore House, County Kildare, who wedded, in 1858, Caroline Elizabeth Josephine, daughter of Hon Andrew Godfrey Stewart, and granddaughter of Andrew Thomas, 1st Earl Castle Stewart; and dvp in 1882, having had, with other issue,
ARTHUR RICHARD, his heir;Captain Cole-Hamilton was succeeded by his eldest son,
William Andrew Thomas;
COLONEL ARTHUR RICHARD COLE-HAMILTON JP DL (1859-1915), of Beltrim Castle.
Captain,7th Hussars; fought in the Egyptian Campaign, 1882; Captain, Royal Scots Fusiliers; Sudan Campaign, 1885-86; Lieutenant-Colonel, 6th Service Battalion, East Lancashire Regiment; lived at Caddagh, Wilkinstown, County Meath, and Beltrim, Gortin, Newtownstewart, County Tyrone; Lieutenant-Colonel and Honorary Colonel, 6th Battalion, Royal Irish Rifles; 1st World War service, where he was mentioned in despatches; fought in the Gallipoli Campaign.Colonel Cole-Hamilton married firstly, in 1882, Jeannette, eldest daughter of Samuel Moore, of Moorlands, Lancashire, and by her had issue, an only child,
WILLIAM MOORE, his heir.He wedded secondly, in 1884, Florence Alice, daughter of James Duke Hughes, of Brentwood, Surrey.
Colonel Cole-Hamilton died in 1915, aged 56, at The Dardenelles, Turkey, killed in action.
His only son,
MAJOR WILLIAM MOORE COLE-HAMILTON (1883-1948), of Beltrim Castle, married, in 1903, Ada Beatrice, daughter of William Peter Huddle; Lieutenant, King's Royal Rifle Corps; fought in the Boer War, 1901-2; fought in the 1st World War; Major, Royal Army Service Corps.
His only son,
WILLIAM ARTHUR RICHARD COLE-HAMILTON (1906-36), married Barbara, daughter of Edward J Deane, in 1932. They had two daughters,
A memorial screen at Kilwinning Old Parish Church, Ayrshire, was erected from a generous gift made by John Cole-Hamilton and was dedicated on 10th June, 1990.
It was erected in memory of Mr Cole-Hamilton’s father, Colonel Arthur Richard Cole-Hamilton, who died at Gallipoli in 1915; his mother Sarah who died on 18th September, 1942; and his wife Gladys who died on 4th October, 1989. Mr Cole-Hamilton died on 10th November, 1991. The Screen incorporates the Cole-Hamilton shield and the seal of the Abbot of Kilwinning.
BELTRIM CASTLE, near Gortin, County Tyrone, is a five-bay, two-storey, rendered house, built ca 1780-1820.
It is L-shaped, facing west, with a multi-bay, two-storey return.
The formal appearance of the west front to Beltrim Castle owes its existence to early 19th century improvements, which also saw the remains of the 17th century bawn incorporated into a long rear return.
The 19th century house retains most of the original features.
In is said to be not only of local importance, but also of national significance.
Beltrim's associated outbuildings, former bawn, and gardens contribute significantly to the architectural and historic interest of the property.
The only part of the original castle which remains standing is a gable wall which is no part of the present building.
Beltrim is now part of the Blakiston-Houston Estate.
Richard Patrick Blakiston-Houston OBE JP DL was born in 1948; educated at Eton; registered as a Professional Associate, Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors, 1972; High Sheriff of County Down, 1989. His wife,
Dr Lucinda Mary Lavinia Blakiston-Houston DL (b 1956), daughter of Lt.-Cdr. Theodore Bernard Peregrine Hubbard and Lady Miriam Fitzalan-Howard; graduated from Leeds University with a Bachelor of Science (B.Sc.); Liverpool University, Master of Science (M.Sc.); Queen's University, Belfast, Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.).
Other residence: The Roddens, Ballywalter, County Down.
Interestingly, the Blakiston-Houston family appear to be related to General Sam Houston, after which Houston, Texas, USA, was named.
Orangefield Park in east Belfast was the family home of the Houston family in the 18th century. The head of the family, John Holmes Houston, was a partner in the Belfast Banking Company and lived at Orangefield House with his family.First published in December, 2009.
Orangefield was situated at the end of what is now Houston Park and the estate itself extended to almost 300 acres. John and Eliza's daughter, Mary Isabella, was born in 1793 and later married Richard Bayly Blakiston.
The two families joined names, leaving J Blakiston-Houston in charge of the Orangefield estate from 1857.
In 1934, the Blakiston-Houston family offered Belfast Corporation (now the council) part of the Orangefield estate to develop as a public park. The corporation, although keen to buy the land, felt that the price was too high.
After lengthy negotiations, they bought part of the site in 1938 for £20,000 (£1.1 million in today's values). Development work was put on hold due to World War II and plans for the park were only drawn up in 1947.