Thursday, 16 April 2015

Fellows Hall

THE ARMSTRONGS WERE MAJOR LANDOWNERS IN COUNTY ARMAGH, WITH 2,279 ACRES

EDWARD ARMSTRONG, son of William Armstrong, by Jane Garver his wife, married, in 1760, Grace Jones, and had two sons,
WILLIAM JONES;
Edward.
The elder son,

THE REV WILLIAM JONES ARMSTRONG, rector of Termonfeckin, County Louth, wedded, in 1786, Margaret, third daughter of Alderman John Tew, Lord Mayor of Dublin (and Margaret Maxwell his wife, grandniece of John, 1st Lord Farnham), and granddaughter of Alderman David Tew, Lord Mayor of the same city in 1752, by whom he had issue,
WILLIAM JONES, his heir;
John Tew;
Thomas Knox, of Fellow's Hall, JP;
Helen; Anne; Diana Jane.
The eldest son,

WILLIAM JONES ARMSTRONG JP DL (1794-1872), of Killylea, High Sheriff of County Armagh, 1840, espoused, in 1842, Frances Elizabeth, widow of Colonel Sir Michael McCreagh CB KCH, and only daughter of Captain Christopher Wilson, of the 22nd Foot, and by her had issue,
WILLIAM FORTESCUE, 7th Hussars (1843-71);
HENRY BRUCE, of whom hereafter.
Mr Armstrong assumed, in 1868, the name and arms of WRIGHT under the will of Lady (Frances Elizabeth) Wright-Wilson.

His younger son,

THE RT HON HENRY BRUCE WRIGHT-ARMSTRONG JP DL (1844-1943), of Killylea, and Dean's Hill, both in County Armagh, High Sheriff for that county in 1875, and High Sheriff of County Longford, 1894, married, in 1883, Margaret, daughter of William Leader, of Rossnalee, County Cork, and had issue,
WILLIAM FORTESCUE, lieutenant RA;
Michael Richard Leader;
Henry Maxwell;
James Robert Bargrave;
Frances Margaret Alice; Dorothea Gertrude; Margaret Helen Elizabeth.
Phoro credit: http://www.stonedatabase.com

FELLOWS HALL, Killylea, County Armagh, is a Victorian-Italianate reconstruction of a house of 1762 (which itself was rebuilt in 1752).

It comprises two storeys over a basement, with a five-bay front.

Round-headed windows conatin keystones in the upper storey.

The doorway is tripartite, with a triple window above.

The Hall passed through marriage from the Maxwell family to the Armstrong and Stronge families; thence to the family of McClintock.

The Armstrong Papers are held at PRONI.

No comments :