WILLIAM MACKAY, of Belmont, County Londonderry, married, in 1796, Ann, daughter of James Porter.
He died in 1849, having by her had issue, a son and heir,
JAMES THOMPSON MACKY JP DL (1800-85), of Belmont, and of Castlefin, County Donegal, High Sheriff of County Londonderry, 1860, director, Finn Valley Railway.
Mr Macky wedded, in 1843, Caroline, daughter of Rear-Admiral Francis Holmes Coffin (1768-1842), of Alwington House, Stonehouse, Devon, and by her had issue,
William;Mr James Thompson Macky was succeeded by his younger son,
FRANCIS COFFIN, of whom hereafter;
FRANCIS COFFIN MACKY JP DL (1847-1920), of Belmont, High Sheriff of County Donegal, 1888, captain, 3rd Dragoon Guards, who espoused firstly, in 1873, Frances Caroline, daughter of the Rev George Robinson, and by her had issue,
FRANCIS CHARLES THOMPSON, born in 1874.He married secondly, in 1881, Emma Clara, daughter of John Barré Beresford JP DL, of Learmount and Ashbrook, County Londonderry, and by her had further issue,
John Barré Beresford, b 1889;
Eleonora Caroline Lucia; Frances Mary;
Gladys Kathleen; Emma Clara.
BELMONT HOUSE, Londonderry, thought to date from 1833, is an early Victorian house in Neo-Renaissance Style.
Its character is retained in the west and south façades, the entrance hall and main staircase area.
Segmented bays are a feature of the south side.
Additional alterations were undertaken in the second half of the 20th century.
BELMONT'S original history can be traced as far back as 1696.
The family of Lecky, from Scotland, leased the land from the Honourable the Irish Society in 1614, and proceeded to build a large house, in 1696, on a hill at Belmont on the present site of Belmont House.
In 1692, Alderman Lecky was the mayor of the city.
The Leckys lived at Belmont until about 1831, when it was sold.
In 1833, Dr Sir William Miller, Mayor of Londonderry 1875-77, is believed to have built the house, when it was described as being a "plain lodge".
The house and estate were acquired by the Macky family ca 1837, who lived there until the 1940s.
In 1858, James Thompson Macky was lessee; the Honourable the Irish Society and the Marquess of Londonderry, the lessors.
|ca 1930s, photo credit ~ Gordon Bell|
The Mackys remained resident at Belmont until the outbreak of the 2nd World War, when it was occupied by the American Forces.
After the war the house was divided into flats.
In the late 1950s, it was acquired by the Education Authority.
Belmont Special School was opened in 1961.
In the early 1970s, the Western Education & Library Board assumed responsibility for the area, during which period numerous additions and adaptations took place to and within the original building.
In the walled garden is an inauguration stone (St Columb's Stone), believed to be one of the crowning stones of the ancient kings of Ulster.
A member of the Macky family, Captain Ross Macky, records that his father dug around the stone in 1900, searching for treasure though none was found.
However it revealed that the stone was pear-shaped.
Near the stone, buried in the ground, a stone effigy of an armoured knight was unearthed in the 19th century.
The effigy, clad in cloak and armed with brooch and sword, with hands joined and head missing, appears similar to the figure on O'Cahan's tomb in the former Augustinian Monastery in Dungiven, County Londonderry.
THE WALLED GARDEN is recorded in the Heritage Gardens Inventory of 1992 and is partly cultivated.
Parkland remains around the house in an otherwise built-up area and contains some fine mature trees.