PROPERTY: Cullintraw, Ballydrain, County Down
EXTENT: 13.91 acres
DONOR: Joan Morrow
Mr Steenman was recorded as the occupant of the site between 1863-81, although the Belfast Street Directories state that the "wine stores" were administered by the Malcolmson Brothers in 1868, George McChesney in 1877, and William Nixon in 1880, presumably the publicans.In 1892, the property was acquired by James McEntee and Henry McKenna, two publicans who also owned pubs in the area around Castle Street.
Henry McKenna's public house also included a bottling store which was located off Pottinger's Entry, in Pottinger's Court.Mr McKenna continued to operate the public house until 1926.
The Irish Builder records that in 1924 renovation work was carried out to the bar which repaired damage incurred during an arson assault. The Morning Star was burnt out in a sectarian attack, part of the sectarian violence common in the post-partition years of 1921-23. Renovation work was carried out by Messrs F & J McCardle.In 1935, the bar was administered by the Madden Brothers, having passed from Henry McKenna in 1924.
The Maddens also owned the Ivy Bar in Church Lane; Dufferin House in Whitla Street; the Sportsman's Arms in York Street; and spirit stores in Duncairn Gardens.The current horseshoe bar and the exterior sign are amongst the features installed as a result of the Madden Bros. 1924 reconstruction.
two-storey stucco building of considerable character, tall pilastered front with etched glass windows and boldly moulded base panels; projecting sign in brass and glass with bronze urn on top; a winged lion stands guard over the corner entrance.
|20 Windsor Avenue, Belfast|
|Orangefield Lane entrance in 2015; the site of twin gate lodges|
|Photo credit: Matt Maginnis © 2013|
Established in 2007. Writing about a wide variety of topics including the Monarchy, the Nobility, the Gentry, Heraldry, Pageantry, Heritage, Country Houses, the National Trust, Conservation, Brackenber House School, Food, Drink, Entertainment, Travel.