Thursday, 30 June 2016

Carrigoran House


This is a very ancient branch of the noble and illustrious race of the GERALDINES, seated at an early period at the castle of Pallas, County Limerick.

Family tradition relates that the descendant of that family and the direct ancestor of the Carrigoran Fitzgeralds was instrumental in saving the life of CHARLES I at the battle of Naseby.

Naseby House, Northamptonshire, was built by the FitzGeralds, lords of the manor of Naseby.

Of the Clare family there were two branches, the representative of one, that of Moigh Castle and Sixmilebridge, namely

COLONEL AUGUSTINE FITZGERALD,  died in 1776, having devised the reversion of his property to his kinsman, of Carrigoran.

The estate of Carrigoran was acquired by EDWARD FITZGERALD, of Rynana, County Clare, in 1667, from Colonel Daniel O'Brien, afterwards the Viscount Clare.

His son and heir,

JOHN FITZGERALD, of Carrigoran, County Clare, married Helen, daughter of Pierce Butler, Viscount Ikerrin; from whom descended,

COLONEL EDWARD FITZGERALD (c1736-1814), of Carrigoran, MP for County Clare, 1782, was left a large estate by his relative, Colonel Augustine FitzGerald, of Sixmilebridge and Silvergrove.

He had issue,

SIR AUGUSTINE FITZGERALD, (c1765-1834), a lieutenant-general in the Army, who was created a baronet in 1821.

Sir Augustine died without male issue and was succeeded by his brother,

SIR WILLIAM, 2nd Baronet (c1780-1847), who espoused, in 1805, Emelia Cumming, youngest daughter of William Veale, of Trevaylor, Cornwall; and by her had issue,
EDWARD, his heir;
Augustine, East India Company; 3rd Baronet;
William Thomas Burton; 4th Baronet;
George Cumming; 5th Baronet;
Emilia Mary;
Georgina Mary. 

  • Sir William Fitzgerald, 2nd Baronet (c1780-1847);
  • Sir Edward Fitzgerald, 3rd Baronet (1806-65);
  • Sir Augustine Fitzgerald, 4th Baronet (1809-93);
  • Sir George Cumming Fitzgerald, 5th Baronet (1823-1908).
The title became extinct on the death of Sir George Cumming FitzGerald, 5th Baronet, in 1908.

Other Seats - Trevaylor, Penzance, Cornwall; Killybegs House, Naas, County Kildare.

Photo credit: Clare County Library - Bluett Collection

Carrigoran House was the seat of the FitzGerald family in the 18th and 19th centuries.

An earlier house was reputedly destroyed by fire in the late 18th century.

Carrigoran was advertised for sale in 1856.

By the 1880s, the FitzGeralds had acquired the Trevaylor estate in Cornwall.

When Clara, Lady FitzGerald,  widow of the last baronet, died in 1922, Carrigoran was sold to the Sisters of Charity of the Incarnate Word.

It was still in use in the 1940s, though was demolished in the 1980s.

First published in May, 2012.

Wednesday, 29 June 2016

The Glory of Westminster Abbey


It is over one thousand years old; the royal church of coronations, dedicated on December 28th, 1065; the first recorded coronation being one year later, in 1066.

This glorious kingly place of worship, the very embodiment of English and British history, final resting place of so many Sovereigns, where the shrine of St Edward the Confessor lies, is Westminster Abbey.

I do feel "carried away" here; I feel the history coming from the stones and walls of this place.

I feel at home here. This Abbey and Collegiate Church is a National monument; a precious treasure; even a ancient museum of tombs and monuments.

It is, to me, probably the most sacred, significant building in Christendom.

I arrived at ten twenty-seven; and left over three hours later, at one fifty-five, when I walked over to St Margaret's, parish church of Westminster and somewhat dwarfed by the great Abbey beside it.

St Margaret's itself is medieval; a "youngster" compared to the Abbey. 

In the Abbey, I marvelled at the innumerable monuments and tombs of our Kings and Queens; statesmen; poets; admirals and generals.

The Royal Air Force has a tiny chapel at the east end, within the Lady Chapel (above).

Also in the Lady Chapel are the stalls and banners of the Knights Grand Cross - military and civil - of the Most Honourable Order of the Bath.

Here we have the Arms of our most senior admirals, generals and air chief marshals; and the most senior civil servants in the Kingdom.

While I passed close to the shrine of St Edward, I was approached by a truly lovely lady who, it transpired, was a member of clergy on duty in the Abbey that day. 

We chatted at length about the Abbey and also about her own church, St Bartholomew-the-Less in the City.

She said she'd noticed me spending time in wandering round the Abbey; and would have invited me to join her for prayers at the shrine of St Edward, which I'd have been honoured to do.

To my mind, Westminster Abbey is one of the the most important buildings in England.

A visit - or pilgrimage - to this glorious abbey church is essential.

The Hamilton Baronetcy (1781)


JOHN HAMILTON, of Dullerton, County Tyrone, and jure uxoris of Manor Elieston, married Sarah, daughter of Sir William Hamilton, of Manor Elieston, son of Sir Claud Hamilton, brother of James, 1st Earl of Abercorn, and son of Claud, 1st Lord Paisley.

Mr Hamilton's son,

JOHN HAMILTON, of Dunamanagh (Donemana), County Tyrone, had, with another daughter, wife of John Hamilton, of Hamilton's Grove, County Antrim, at least other three daughters and a son, viz.

WILLIAM HAMILTON, of Dunamanagh, County Tyrone, MP for Strabane, married, in 1735, Catherine, daughter of the Rev George Leslie DD, of Ballyconnell House, County Cavan. His son,

(SIR) JOHN STUART HAMILTON (c1740-1802), MP for Strabane, 1763-76; married the Hon Sarah Hamilton, daughter of Frederick, 3rd Viscount Boyne.

Mr Hamilton was created a baronet in 1781.
Sir John was a member of the Dublin Society, 1769-76. His membership lapsed in 1777 but was renewed more than twenty years later in 1798. He was listed by the Society as a member in 1802-03, and deleted ca 1804.
It is thought that the following statement alludes to the 1st Baronet, Sir John Stuart Hamilton:
"When he was but nineteen he was unanimously elected one of the representatives in Parliament for Strabane, in which high and honourable station he behaved for upwards of thirty years with a conduct suitable to the great confidence reposed in him:

To his immortal honour he was one of those heroic patriots of Fabrician fortitude, who signalized themselves in so conspicuous a manner in the successful defence of the pass, which in 1753 was strenuously attempted to be forced, in order to overthrow the parliamentary constitution of this country; for which they were distinguished from their opponents by their wearing gold medals in memory of that glorious epoch:

And so sensible were his constituents of his singular merit and invariable principles in favour of his country, that at the late general election they unanimously re-elected him
"to represent them in parliament; the goodness and benevolence of his heart endeared him to all, and render his death universally lamented. He is succeeded in his estate by John Hamilton, Esq., his eldest son and heir."
SIR JOHN CHARLES HAMILTON, 2nd Baronet, died in 1818, when the baronetcy expired. 

First published in January, 2011

Tuesday, 28 June 2016

Lismore House


ANDREW NESBITT, of Brenter (presumed to be son of Thomas Nesbitt, of Newbottle, and grandson of George Nesbitt, who died in 1590), assignee from the Earl of Annandale, of the estates of Brenter and Malmusock, County Donegal, was father of 

ANDREW NESBITT, who served in the army of CHARLES I in Ireland; whose eldest son,

THOMAS NESBITT, of Grangemore, County Westmeath, High Sheriff in 1720, and MP for Cavan, 1715-50, married twice.

His heir, 

COSBY NESBITT, of Lismore, born in 1718, MP for Cavan, 1750-67, High Sheriff, 1764, succeeded to the Cavan estates on the death of his father.

His eldest son, 

THOMAS NESBITT, of Lismore, a colonel in the army, MP for Cavan, 1768-99, High Sheriff 1769, married and was succeeded by his eldest son, 

COSBY NESBITT JP DL, High Sheriff, 1798, major in the Cavan Militia; whose second son, 

ALEXANDER NESBITT DL, of Lismore House, County Cavan, and Old Lands, Sussex, born in 1817, was High Sheriff of Cavan, 1862.

This gentleman died without issue and succeeded by his sister, 


THOMAS COSBY BURROWES JP DL, of Lismore, County Cavan, born in 1856, was High Sheriff, 1888, succeeded his uncle in 1886.

Mr Burrowes married, in 1885, the Hon Anna Frances Maxwell, sister of 10th Baron Farnham, and had issue,
Eleanor Mary (1886-1962);
Rosamund Charlotte, born 1891.
Rosamund Charlotte Cosby Burrowes married Major Shuckburgh Upton Lucas-Clements in 1922.

She was with Voluntary Aid Detachment during the 1st World War, where she was mentioned in dispatches.

She lived in 1976 at Lismore, and had issue,
Elizabeth Anne, b 1922;
Thomas, b 1925;
John, b 1930;
Robert Henry, b 1930.

LISMORE HOUSE, near Crossdoney, County Cavan, was built ca 1730.

The main block was of two storeys over a high basement, with a pediment breakfront centre and a widely spaced Venetian window in both storeys.

There were two bays either side of the centre, overlapping tower wings of one storey each.

The house had a solid roof parapet with urns and oculi in the upper storey of the office wings.

Lismore passed to the Lucas-Clements family through the marriage of Miss R Burrowes to Major Shuckburgh Lucas-Clements in 1922.

Having stood empty for many years, the house fell into ruin and was finally demolished ca 1952, with the exception of a tower wing.

The estate is three miles from the Farnham estate and hotel.

The office wings were used as farm buildings and appear to have been converted to modern living accomodation. The family moved to the former agent's house.

First published in May, 2012.

Monday, 27 June 2016

Burton Hall


SIR EDWARD BURTON, Knight, of Longner, representative of the family, was with EDWARD IV, successful in fourteen set battles between the Houses of York and Lancaster; and for his great loyalty and services, he was made knight-bannaret, under the royal standard in the field, in 1460.

He was succeeded by his son,

SIR ROBERT BURTON, Knight, of Longner, who was knighted by EDWARD IV, in 1478.

This gentleman received a grant of arms from John Writhe, Norroy King of Arms, in the same year, and was father of

SIR EDWARD BURTON, Knight, of Longner, Master of the Robes to HENRY VII. who wedded Jocosa, daughter of Thomas Cressett, of Upton Cressett, Shropshire.

He died in 1524, leaving, with a younger son, Thomas, an elder son, his successor,

JOHN BURTON, of Longner, who married Elizabeth, daughter of Thomas Poyner, of Boston, Shrophire, and had issue,
EDWARD, his successor;
Jane; Eleanor; Ankekoka; Ann; Ankred; Mary.
Sir Edward died in 1543, and was succeeded by his only son,

EDWARD BURTON, of Longner, who wedded Ann, daughter and heir of Nicholas Madocks, of Wem and Coton, Shrophire, and had issue,
THOMAS, his heir (ancestor of BURTON of Longner);
EDWARD, of whom we treat;
Mary; Dorothy; Katherine.
Mr Burton's second son,

EDWARD BURTON, had issue, two sons, who both settled in Ireland in 1610,
Francis, dsp;
THOMAS, of whom hereafter.
The younger son,

THOMAS BURTON, of Buncraggy, County Clare, whose will was proved in 1666, married Ann, daughter of _____ Shepherd, of Baycote, Herefordshire, and had issue (with two daughters), an only son,

SAMUEL BURTON, of Buncraggy, who married Margery Harris, and died in 1712, leaving issue,
Francis, of Buncraggy, MP;
BENJAMIN, of whom hereafter;
The third son,

BENJAMIN BURTON, becoming an eminent banker in Dublin, was Lord Mayor of that city, 1706, and represented it in parliament, 1703-23.

He espoused, in 1686, Grace, elder daughter of Robert Stratford, of Belan, County Kildare, and had six sons, with as many daughters,
Charles (Sir), MP for Dublin; cr a
Mary; Grace; Elizabeth; Lettice; Abigail; Jane.
The eldest son of Benjamin Burton, of Dublin,

SAMUEL BURTON, of Burton Hall, MP for Sligo, 1713, and for Dublin, 1727, High Sheriff of County Carlow, 1724, espoused firstly, in 1708, Anne, daughter of Charles Campbell, of Dublin, and by her (who was killed by the fall of a scaffold at the coronation of GEORGE I in 1714) had issue,
BENJAMIN, his heir;
Katherine; Mary.
He was succeeded by his eldest son,

THE RT HON BENJAMIN BURTON MP, of Burton Hall, a distinguished politician and statesman, who wedded, in 1734, the Lady Anne Ponsonby, daughter of Brabazon, 1st Earl of Bessborough, and had issue,
Benjamin, High Sheriff, 1760; MP for Sligo, 1757; d unm, 1763;
WILLIAM, succeeded to the estates;
Sarah; Anna. 
His second but eldest surviving son, 

WILLIAM HENRY BURTON MP (1739-1818), of Burton Hall, married, in 1765, Mary, only child of Henry Aston, County Wicklow, and had issue,
BENJAMIN, his heir;
William Henry;
Mr Burton's eldest son, 

BENJAMIN BURTON, of Walcot House, Stamford, Lincolnshire, born in 1766, married and had issue,

WILLIAM FITZWILLIAM BURTON JP (1796-1844), of Burton Hall, High Sheriff of County Carlow, 1822, who wedded twice and had a numerous family.

His eldest son, 

WILLIAM FITZWILLIAM BURTON JP (1826-1909), of Burton Hall, High Sheriff of County Carlow, 1849, 4th Light Dragoons, married twice and was succeeded by his eldest son,

WILLIAM FITZWILLIAM BURTON (1849-1927), of Burton Hall, County Carlow, and Goltho Hall, Wragby, Lincolnshire, who married, in 1877, Georgiana Spencer, fourth daughter of Captain the Hon William Henry George Wellesley RN, and granddaughter of Henry, 1st Lord Cowley.

Mr Burton, High Sheriff of County Carlow, 1910, sold Gotho Hall in 1918.

His children assumed the additional surname of Mainwaring.

He was succeeded by his eldest son, 

MAJOR WILLIAM MAINWARING-BURTON (1881-1964), of Marsham Lodge, Gerrard's Cross, Buckinghamshire, who married and had issue.

BURTON HALL, near Carlow, County Carlow, a house of considerable significance, was begun in 1712.

It contained three storeys on a lofty plinth and nine bays, with a three-bay breakfront centre.

The doorway was rusticated, with many steps; bold quoins; a solid roof parapet.

A bow window was added to the garden front ca 1840, and the top storey was removed.

Burton Hall was sold by William Fitzwilliam Burton in 1927 (who died in the same year) and demolished five years later.

All that remains of Burton Hall's former existence is a three-bay, single-storey (over basement) granite building, originally a wing of the house, with carved stone dressings.

First published in May, 2012.

Saturday, 25 June 2016

Glenart Castle


The family of PROBY, of antiquity and distinction, came originally from Wales, and were there named Ap-Probyn; though they flourished for many ages in Huntingdonshire.

RANDOLPH PROBY, of the city of Chester, settled at Brampton, Huntingdonshire, at the close of the 15th century, and by his wife, Alice Bernard, had two sons,
RALPH, of Brampton, dsp;
PETER, of whom we treat.
His surviving son,

SIR PETER PROBY, of Brampton, Huntingdonshire, and Swithin's Lane, London, served the office of Lord Mayor of London in 1622, and dying three years afterwards, left several children, of whom the eldest,

SIR HENEAGE PROBY (1600-67), Knight, of Elton, married Helen, daughter of Edward Allen, of Finchley, and had two sons.

Sir Heneage served the office of Sheriff of Buckinghamshire, and was MP for Agmondesham.

He was succeeded by his elder son,

SIR THOMAS PROBY (1632-89), who was created a baronet in 1662.

He married Frances, daughter of Sir Thomas Cotton Bt, of Connington, Huntingdonshire, and left an only surviving daughter, Alice, who wedded Thomas Wentworth, and was mother of Thomas, Marquess of Rockingham.

Sir Thomas dying thus without male issue, the baronetcy expired, but the estates devolved upon his brother,

JOHN PROBY, at whose decease, in 1710, those estates passed to the next male heir,

WILLIAM PROBY (elder son of Charles, third son of Sir Peter Proby), governor of Fort St George, Madras, who married Henrietta, daughter of Robert Cornwall, of Borrington, Herefordshire, by whom he had a daughter, Editha, the wife of Sir John Osborne Bt, of Newtown, County Tipperary, and an only son,

JOHN PROBY, of Elton Hall,  MP for Huntingdonshire, who espoused Jane, eldest daughter of John, 1st Baron Gower, and had by her,
JOHN, his successor;
Thomas, killed at the attack of Fort Ticonderoga, 1756;
Charles, captain RN;
Baptist (Very Rev), Dean of Lichfield;
Mr Proby was succeeded by his eldest son, 

THE RT HON SIR JOHN PROBY KB (1720-72), MP for Huntingdonshire, and one of the Lords of the Admiralty in 1757, who was elevated to the Irish peerage as Baron Carysfort in 1752.

His lordship wedded, in 1750, Elizabeth, daughter of John, 2nd Viscount Allen, and co-heir of her brother John, 3rd Viscount, by whom he had issue,

JOHN JOSHUA, 2nd Baron, KP, who was created EARL OF CARYSFORT, in 1789.

This nobleman was appointed a Knight of the Most Illustrious Order of St Patrick in 1784

He espoused, in 1774, Elizabeth, only daughter of the Rt Hon Sir William Osborne Bt, of Newtown, County Tipperary, by whom he had issue,
WILLIAM ALLEN, Lord Proby (1779-1804); Captain, RN;
JOHN, 2nd Earl;
Granville Leveson;
The 1st Earl espoused secondly, in 1787, Elizabeth, daughter of the Rt Hon George Grenville, and sister of George, 1st Marquess of Buckingham, and left by that lady at his decease, in 1828, three other daughters, namely,
The Probys were a Patrick family, viz. three Earls were appointed to the Order of St Patrick.

In 1860, Lord Carysfort married Charlotte, daughter of Rev Robert Booshy, but the marriage was childless, and the titles expired on the death of the 5th Earl.

GLENART CASTLE, near Arklow, County Wicklow, was originally a hunting lodge of ca 1750, enlarged in the castellated style during the early 1800s by John Proby, 1st Earl of Carysfort.

It was known for a while as Kilcarra Castle.

Between 1177 and 1185, large quantities of land were granted by Prince John acting on behalf of his father, HENRY II, to Theobald Walter from whom were descended the Butler Family and the Earls of Ormonde.

The Butlers held their possession in this area for the next 500 years.

Glenart was enlarged again in 1869.

It is a fairly austere structure, mainly two-storey, though partly of three storeys dominated by a square, battlemented tower.

There are large rectangular windows with hood mouldings, three-sided bows and a battlemented parapet.

The Castle was partially burnt in 1920, though the remaining half continued to be inhabited by the family as an occasional residence till it was sold during the 2nd World War to a religious order, which rebuilt it in an institutional style. 

Other seat ~ Elton Hall, Peterborough.
Former town house ~ 11 Lower Berkeley Street, London.

Carysfort arms courtesy of European Heraldry.   First published in May, 2012.

Friday, 24 June 2016

House of Stewart

This branch of the noble house of STEWART claims a common ancestor with the Earls of Galloway; namely, Sir William Stewart, of Garlies, from whose second son, Sir Thomas Stewart, of Minto.

WILLIAM STEWART, of Ballylawn Castle, County Donegal (great-grandson of John Stewart, who had a grant from CHARLES I of Stewart's Court Manor, where he erected Ballylawn Castle), took an active part in Ulster affairs in order to prevent the subversion of the constitution, which JAMES II and his chief governor, the Earl of Tyrconnell, were attempting to effect.

He raised a troop of horse at his own expense when the city of Londonderry was occupied, and actively promoted the Protestant interest there by protecting those who were favourably disposed to WILLIAM III.

Mr Stewart was appointed lieutenant-colonel in the regiment commanded by Sir William Stewart, Viscount Mountjoy.

He married the daughter of William Stewart, of Fort Stewart, County Donegal (grandson of the Rt Hon Sir William Stewart Bt, whose descendant was created Baron Stewart of Ramelton and Viscount Mountjoy), and died leaving issue, a daughter,

MARTHA, who wedded John Kennedy, of Cultra, County Down; and two sons, of whom

THOMAS KENNEDY, the eldest, succeeded at Ballylawn Castle, and served as a captain in Lord Mountjoy's regiment.

He espoused Mary, second daughter of Bernard Ward (ancestor of the Viscounts Bangor), by Mary, sister of the Rt Rev Michael Ward, Lord Bishop of Derry; and dying without issue, 1740, was succeeded by his only brother,

ALEXANDER STEWART (1699-1781), who represented the city of Londonderry in parliament, and purchased the estate of MOUNT STEWART, County Down, from the Colville family.

He married, in 1737, his cousin Mary, only daughter of Alderman John Cowan, of Londonderry (by Anne Stewart, second daughter of Alexander Stewart, of Ballylawn Castle, and sister and sole heir of Sir Robert Cowan, Governor of Bombay), and had issue,
ROBERT, his heir;
William, died in infancy;
John, 1744-62;
Anne; Frances; Mary.
The eldest son,

ROBERT STEWART (1739-1821), of Ballylawn Castle, County Donegal, and of Mount Stewart, County Down, who, having represented the latter county in parliament, and having been sworn a member of the Privy Council, was elected to the Irish peerage, in 1789, as Baron Londonderry.

His lordship was advanced to a viscountcy, in 1795, as Viscount Castlereagh and, in 1796, Earl of Londonderry.

His lordship was further advanced, in 1816, to the dignity of a marquessate, as MARQUESS OF LONDONDERRY.

His lordship wedded firstly, in 1766, the Lady Sarah Frances Seymour-Conway, second daughter of Francis, 1st Marquess of Hertford, and had issue,
Alexander Francis, 1767-9;
ROBERT, his successor.
He wedded secondly, in 1775, the Lady Frances Pratt, eldest daughter of Charles, 1st Earl Camden, and had issue,
CHARLES WILLIAM, 3rd Marquess;
Alexander John, 1783-1800;
Thomas Henry, 1790-1810;
Frances Anne; Elizabeth Mary; Caroline; Georgiana;
Selina Sarah Juliana; Matilda Charlotte; Emily Jane; Catharine Octavia.
His lordship was succeeded by his eldest son,

ROBERT, 2nd Marquess (1769-1822), KG, GCH, PC.
The heir presumptive is his brother Lord Reginald Alexander Vane-Tempest-Stewart (b. 1977).
The heir presumptive's heir is his son Robin Gabriel Vane-Tempest-Stewart (b 2004).
Former seats ~ Mount Stewart, County Down; Wynyard Park, County Durham; Seaham Hall, near Stockton-on-Tees.

Former London residence ~ Londonderry House, Park Lane.

First published in March, 2012.

Thursday, 23 June 2016

Drumcondra House


The family of COGHILL was prominent in Yorkshire.

SIR JOHN COGHILL, LL.D, Master in Chancery in Ireland, married Hester, daughter of Tobias Cramer, of Ballyfoyle, County Kilkenny; and dying in 1699, left issue,
JAMES, of whom presently;
Hester, m Oliver Cramer, mother of
The younger son,

JAMES COGHILL, LL.D, Registrar of the Prerogative Court, wedded Mary, sister of Thomas Pearson MP, of Rathmore, County Meath.

He died in 1734, leaving an only daughter and heir,

HESTER COGHILL, who espoused Charles Moore, Earl of Charleville (who dsp 1764, when that dignity and the barony of Tullamore became extinct).

Her ladyship married secondly, Major John Mayne, who assumed the name of COGHILL, and was created a baronet in 1781; but dying without an heir, that title expired.

The Countess of Charleville thus having no issue by either of her husbands, bequeathed her property, at her decease, to her cousin (refer to issue of Hester, daughter of Sir John Coghill, Master in Chancery),

JOHN CRAMER (1732-90), of Coghill Hall, Knaresborough, Yorkshire, who thereupon assumed the name of COGHILL, and was created a baronet in 1778.

Sir John wedded Maria, daughter of the Most Rev Josiah Hort, Lord Archbishop of Tuam, by whom he had issue,
JOHN, his successor;
JOSIAH, 3rd Baronet;
Judith; Eliza; Frances; Priscilla; Sophia.
He was succeeded by his elder son,

SIR JOHN CRAMER-COGHILL (1766-1817), 2nd Baronet, who assumed, in 1807, the surname and arms of COGHILL only.

He died without issue, when the title devolved upon his brother,

VICE-ADMIRAL SIR JOSIAH COGHILL (1773-1850), 3rd Baronet, who married firstly, in 1812, Miss Dodson, by whom he had three daughters,
Caroline Mary;
Emmeline Katherine Egerton;
He wedded secondly, in 1819, Anna Maria, eldest daughter of the Rt Hon Charles Kendal Bushe, Lord Chief Justice of the Court of King's Bench in Ireland, by whom he had issue,
JOHN JOSCELYN, his successor;
Kendal Josiah William;
Rosanna Louisa; Sydney Alicia; Florence;
Georgina; Adelaide; Sylvia.
Sir Josiah was succeeded by his eldest son,

SIR JOHN JOSCELYN COGHILL, 4th Baronet (1826-1905), JP, DL, High Sheriff of County Dublin, 1859, who married, in 1851, the Hon Katherine Frances Plunket, daughter of John, 3rd Baron Plunket of Newton, and had issue,
EGERTON BUSHE, 5th Baronet;
Claude Plunkett;
Ethel Charlotte; Violet Alice Penrose.
Sir John's eldest son,

NEVILL JOSIAH AYLMER COGHILL VC (1852-79), Lieutenant, 24th Foot Regiment, was killed in action while saving the colours of his regiment.

His younger brother

SIR EGERTON BUSHE COGHILL, 5th Baronet (1853-1921), JP, DL, wedded, in 1893, Elizabeth Hildegarde Augusta, daughter of Lieutenant-Colonel Thomas Henry Somerville, and had issue,
Nevill Henry Kendal Aylmer, 1899-1980;
Katherine Adelaide Hildegarde.
Sir Egerton was succeeded by his eldest son,

LIEUTENANT-COLONEL SIR MARMADUKE NEVILL PATRICK SOMERVILLE COGHILL, 6th Baronet (1896-1981), TD, DL, who died unmarried, when the title devolved upon his brother,

  • Sir Joscelyn Ambrose Cramer Coghill, 7th Baronet (1902-83);
  • Sir Egerton James Nevill Tobias "Toby" Coghill, 8th Baronet (1930–2000);
  • Sir Patrick Kendal Farley Coghill, 9th Baronet (b 1960).

DRUMCONDRA HOUSE, Drumcondra, County Dublin, now All Hallows College, is an early 18th century house of considerable significance.

It comprises three storeys with two adjoining fronts.

The more august of the two has massive Corinthian pilasters which support a balustraded Corinthian entablature.

This feature is adorned with niches, aedicules and segmental pediments above the windows and two doorways.

The plainer front was designed by Sir Edward Lovett Pearce for Marmaduke Coghill, MP, Chancellor of the Irish Exchequer, and Judge of the Prerogative Court.

In the grounds is a temple with pediment and Corinthian pilasters.

Other former seats ~ Randall's Park, Surrey; Glen Barrahane Castle, Castletownshend, County Cork.

Wednesday, 22 June 2016

Loftus Hall


The family of LOFTUS, or, as it was anciently spelt, Lofthouse, appears, from the archives of York Minster, to have flourished in Yorkshire as early as the reign of ALFRED THE GREAT.

Before the advent of the Normans, this family held the town and lands of Loftus, Yorkshire, by thaneage, and after the Conquest, by military tenure.

The same records show that Christopher Lofthouse was prior of Helagh, Yorkshire, in 1460.

EDWARD LOFTUS, of Swineshead, Yorkshire, whose descendants have been, in different branches, thrice elevated to the Irish peerage, had two sons, namely,
The elder son, Robert, whose second son,

ADAM LOFTUS, an eminent lawyer, was appointed LORD CHANCELLOR OF IRELAND in 1619; and created, in 1622, Viscount Loftus, of Ely, a dignity which expired with his lordship' grandson ARTHUR, 3rd Viscount.

The younger son,

THE MOST REV ADAM LOFTUS, accompanied, as private chaplain, the Viceroy, Thomas, Earl of Sussex, into Ireland, and was consecrated Lord Archbishop of Armagh, 1562-3.

In 1567, the Lord Primate was translated to the see of Dublin; and six years afterwards we find him Lord Keeper of the Great Seal.

In 1578, His Grace was constituted LORD CHANCELLOR OF IRELAND, and he continued to hold the seals until his death.

This esteemed divine having a principal share in the foundation of Trinity College, Dublin, was appointed by charter its first Provost, which office he resigned in 1594.

He married Jane, eldest daughter of Alan Purdon, of Lurgan Race, County Louth, and by her had twenty children, of whom seven died young. The survivors were eight sons and five daughters.

The Archbishop died in 1605, and was succeeded by his eldest son, 

SIR DUDLEY LOFTUS, of Rathfarnham, who wedded Anne, daughter of Sir Henry Bagenal, of Newry, and had, with other issue,
ADAM, 1st Viscount Lisburne;
NICHOLAS, of whose line we are about to treat;
The second son of Sir Dudley Loftus, 

NICHOLAS, of Fethard, born in 1592, Joint Clerk of the Pells and of The Treasury in Ireland, wedded and was succeeded by his eldest surviving son, 

SIR NICHOLAS LOFTUS, of Fethard, who married twice, and had several children, all of whom died issueless, when the estates descended to his brother,

HENRY LOFTUS, of Loftus Hall, who married twice and was succeeded, in 1716, by his elder son,

NICHOLAS LOFTUS, MP for County Wexford, who was elevated to the peerage as Baron Loftus, of Loftus Hall, in 1751.

His lordship was sworn of the privy council in 1753; nominated Governor of County Wexford, and advanced to a viscountcy, as Viscount Loftus, of Ely, in 1756.

He married firstly Anne, 2nd daughter of William, Viscount Duncannon, by whom he had issue,
NICHOLAS, his successor;
HENRY, succeeded as 4th Viscount Loftus;
Mary; Anne; Elizabeth.
His lordship wedded secondly, Letitia, daughter of Sir John Rowley, knight, by whom he had no issue.

He died in 1763, and was succeeded by his elder son, 

NICHOLAS, 2nd Viscount, who was advanced to the dignity of Earl of Ely in 1766.

He married Mary, eldest daughter and heir of Sir Gustavus Hume Bt, of Castle Hume, County Fermanagh; and dying in 1766, was succeeded by his only son, 

NICHOLAS, 2nd Earl, who died unmarried, in 1769, when the earldom expired, but the viscountcy and barony reverted to his uncle,

THE HON HENRY LOFTUS, as 4th Viscount, born in 1709.

His lordship was advanced to an earldom, as Earl of Ely, in 1771; and installed a Knight Founder of the Most Illustrious of St Patrick, in 1783.

Lord Loftus married twice, though died without issue, in 1783, when the titles became extinct; while the estates devolved upon his nephew, 

THE RT HON CHARLES TOTTENHAM, who then assumed the surname and arms of LOFTUS, and was created, in two years afterwards, Baron Loftus, of Loftus Hall.

His lorship was advanced to a viscountcy, as Viscount Loftus in 1789; Earl of Ely in 1794.

This nobleman was further advanced, to the dignity of a marquessate, as MARQUESS OF ELY, in 1800.
His lordship was postmaster-general of Ireland in 1789; privy counsellor; Knight of St Patrick; governor of Wexford; governor of Fermanagh; colonel, the Wexford Militia.
GEORGE HENRY WELLINGTON, 7th Marquess (1903-69), styled Viscount Loftus between 1925-35, became known by the courtesy title Viscount Loftus when his father succeeded in the marquessate in 1925.

He was educated at Lancing College and served as a major in the North Irish Horse during the 2nd World War. He was also High Sheriff of Fermanagh in 1931. In 1935 he succeeded in the marquessate on the death of his father.


CHARLES JOHN, 8th Marquess, who died in 2006 aged 92, was a Canadian prep school headmaster for some 40 years and a dogged, if silent, attender at the House of Lords for almost 30 years until his exclusion by Tony Blair's reforms. He was appalled by the "constitutional vandalism" that cost him his seat.

His eldest son, John, who was born in 1943, succeeded to the titles as 9th Marquess.

The Ely Papers are deposited at PRONI.

LOFTUS HALL, near Fethard-on-Sea, County Wexford, is, according to Mark Bence-Jones, a gaunt, three-storey mansion of 1871, with rows of plate-glass windows and a parapet, incorporating parts of a previous, late 17th century house.

The house stands near the tip of Hook Head, an extremely wind-swept spot bereft of trees and shelter.

The present house was built after his coming-of-age by the 4th Marquess of Ely (who also had plans for Ely Lodge in County Fermanagh).

It contains an impressive staircase hall.

In 1917, Loftus Hall was bought by the Sisters of Providence and turned into a convent and a school for young girls interested in joining the order.

In 1983, it was purchased by Michael Deveraux, who re-opened it as "Loftus Hall Hotel", which was subsequently closed again in the late 1990s.

It was privately owned by Deveraux's surviving family until late 2008, when it was sold to an unnamed buyer, rumoured to be "Bono" of U2 fame.

While in need of repair at the time of writing, the nine-bay mansion comprises seven reception rooms, twenty-two bedrooms and a function room spread across three floors.

Ely arms courtesy of European Heraldry.   First published in May, 2012.

Magherintemple House


This family came over to Ulster from Ramsey, Isle of Man, early in the 18th century.

HUGH CASEMENT (c1720-97), of Ballinderry, County Antrim, married, in 1740, Elizabeth, daughter of the Rev George Higginson, of Magheragall, and had issue,
George, surgeon RN; d 1834; father of Sir William Casement KCB;
ROGER, of whom presently;
Mary; Eleanor; Jane.
The second son,

ROGER CASEMENT (c1756-1832), of Harryville, County Antrim, wedded firstly, Catherine, daughter of the Rev Joseph Cosnahan, of Peel, Isle of Man, and had, with other issue,
THOMAS, of whom presently;
Robert (Rev).
Mr Casement espoused secondly, in 1819, Margaret, daughter of Andrew McQuilty, and had, with further issue,
George, of Fenagh, Co Antrim, barrister;
JOHN, succeeded his half-brother;
Mr Casement was succeeded by his eldest surviving son,

THOMAS CASEMENT JP (1799-1874), of Ballee House, County Antrim, High Sheriff of County Antrim, 1874, who married, in 1848, Dorinda Deborah, daughter of Thomas Abbot JP, of Mount Bellew, County Galway, and left an only daughter and heiress,

CATHERINE COSNAHAN CASEMENT, of Ballee House, who wedded, in 1869, Colonel Eldred Thomas Pottinger, Royal Artillery.

His half brother,

JOHN CASEMENT JP (1825-1902), of Magherintemple, County Antrim, High Sheriff of County Antrim, 1881, married firstly, in 1849, Charlotte, daughter of Brabazon Newcomen, of Camla House, County Rosscommon, and had issue,
ROGER, of whom presently;
Brabazon Newcomen, MD.
John, Rear-Admiral.
Mr Casement wedded secondly, in 1859, Charlotte, daughter of Alexander Miller, of Ballycastle.

He was succeeded by his eldest son,

ROGER CASEMENT JP DL (1850-1928), of Magherintemple, who married, in 1877, Susanna, daughter of James Beatty, and had issue,
JOHN, his heir;
Francis, DSO, Major-General in the army;
Roger Hugh;
Robert James;
Edgar Reginald.
The eldest son,

JOHN CASEMENT DSO DL (1880-1944), of Magherintemple, a captain in the Royal Navy, married, in 1916, ANNA BEATRICE, daughter of John Frederick William Hodges, of Glenravel, County Antrim, though died without male issue.

His widow,

ANNA BEATRICE, MRS CASEMENT OBE (1887-1975), inherited Magherintemple for her lifetime, with reversion to her nephew,  Francis Charles Casement.


Patrick Casement, OBE, was Chairman of the National Trust's  Northern Ireland Committee, 2000-2010. 
He is a zoology graduate from Oxford and holds a masters degree in Ecology; farms a large beef and sheep farm; has previously served on the Northern Ireland Council for Nature Conservation and the Countryside.  
(Sir) Roger Casement was a cousin of Patrick Casement's grandfather.

MAGHERINTEMPLE HOUSE, near Ballycastle, County Antrim, was built ca 1875 in the Scottish-Baronial style, the seat of the Casement family.

Mr Roger Casement (Sir Roger Casement CMG) was a member of this family.

An earlier, quite modest, house called Churchfield was described in 1835 as being a plain two storey dwelling, the property of the Casement family from 1790.

It was considerably enlarged in 1874-75 for John Casement, adding an austere Scottish-baronial block in Ballyvoy stone with gate lodge in matching style.

The grimness of the architecture is, to some degree, offset by the good high position of the house and its splendid views.

The gardens are maintained.

There is a walled garden on a slope, with a bog garden at the bottom.

The walled garden is fully planted up with vegetables, fruit and ornamental plants.

The present layout dates from 1973.

There are both woodland and shelter trees.

The gate lodge replaced an earlier lodge located on the opposite side of the gates.

Two small stone figures that are placed in the rockery in the garden are said to have come from Culfeightrin Church.

Magherintemple gate lodge is available for rent.

First published in December, 2010.

Tuesday, 21 June 2016

Archdale of Castle Archdale


The earliest reference to the Archdale family relates to Sir Edward Archdale of Norsom, Norfolk, and Macclesfield, Cheshire, who lived during the reigns of HENRY IV and HENRY V, and fought at the battle of Agincourt in 1415.

The first of the family to settle in Ulster, during the reign of ELIZABETH I, was 

JOHN ARCHDALE (1578-1621), of Darsham, Suffolk, who married Katherine, eldest daughter of Sir William Temple, provost of Trinity College, Dublin.

In 1612, this John was granted 1,000 acres of land in County Fermanagh as part of the plantation of Ulster.

This gentleman, by the inscription over the gateway in the ruinous castle, appears to have erected the old mansion-house of Archdale.

By his wife he had issue, two sons,
EDWARD, his heir;
John, Vicar of Luske.
Mr Archdale was succeeded by his eldest son,

EDWARD ARCHDALE, who espoused Angel, daughter of Sir Paul Gore Bt (ancestor of the Gores, Earls of Ross etc) and had issue.

During his time, the castle which his father had erected was taken and burned by the rebels under Sir Phelim O'Neill, in 1641, and only two children of a numerous family survived.

One, a daughter, who was absent and married; the other, an infant son, WILLIAM, preserved by the fidelity of his nurse, an Irish Roman Catholic, which

WILLIAM ARCHDALE JP, of old Castle Archdale, after succeeding to the estates, married, in 1677, Elizabeth, daughter of Henry Mervyn, of Omagh Castle and Trillick, both in County Tyrone, and had two sons and a daughter, namely,
MERVYNhis heir;
EDWARDheir to his brother;
ANGEL, heiress to her brother.
He was succeeded by his elder son,

MERVYN ARCHDALE, of Castle Archdale, County Fermanagh, who died unmarried in 1726 and was succeeded by his brother,

EDWARD ARCHDALE (1694-1728), of Castle Archdale, a captain in Sir Gustavus Hume's Regiment of Dragoons, and High Sheriff, 1722.

This gentleman married firstly, in 1728, Frances, daughter of Sir John Caldwell Bt; and secondly, Elizabeth, eldest daughter of John Cole, of Florence Court.

Dying without issue, however, before 1730, the estates devolved on his only sister,

ANGEL ARCHDALE, of Castle Archdale, who thus became heiress and representative of the family.

She espoused NICHOLAS MONTGOMERY, of Derrygonnelly, County Fermanagh, MP for that county, who assumed the surname and arms of ARCHDALE, and left, at her decease about 1742 or 1743, an only son,

COLONEL MERVYN ARCHDALE JP MP (1725-1813), of Castle Archdale, and of Trillick, County Tyrone, who married, in 1762, Mary, daughter of William, 1st Viscount Carlow, and sister of John, 1st Earl of Portarlington, by whom he had issue,
MERVYN, his heir;
WILLIAM, succeeded his brother;
EDWARD, succeeded his brother
Mary; Angel; Martha Caroline; Anna; Catherine;
Elizabeth; Sidney; Wilhelmina Henrietta.
Colonel Archdale was succeeded by his eldest son,

GENERAL MERVYN ARCHDALE (1763-1839), of Castle Archdale, and of Trillick, County Tyrone, who wedded, in 1805, Jane, daughter of Gustavus Rochfort MP, of Rochfort, County Westmeath.

General Archdale was returned for the tenth time for Fermanagh at the general election of 1832.

He resigned on account of ill-health in 1834; and died of a stroke in 1839, when he was remembered as ‘a gallant soldier, a good landlord, a kind friend and a staunch Conservative’.

By his will, dated 28 Sept. 1829, he made provision for his relations, including his ‘reputed’ children Henry and Jane Grey, but left his residual estate to his brother,

LIEUTENANT-COLONEL WILLIAM ARCHDALE (1768-1857), of Castle Archdale and Trillick, wedded Mary, daughter of James Clarke, in an issueless marriage, and was succeeded by his brother,

EDWARD ARCHDALE JP DL (1775-1864), of Riversdale, County Fermanagh, High Sheriff of Fermanagh, 1813, who espoused, in 1809, Matilda, daughter of William Humphrys, and had issue,
MERVYN EDWARD, his heir;
WILLIAM HUMPHRYS, succeeded his brother;
HENRY MONTGOMERY (Rev), succeeded his brother;
Nicholas Montgomery, of Riversdale and Crocknacrieve; father of 1st Baronet;
Ensign John;
Hugh Montgomery;
Audley Mervyn;
James Mervyn;
Richmal Magnall;
Mary; Letitia; Matilda.
Mr Archdale was succeeded by his eldest son,

MERVYN EDWARD ARCHDALE JP DL (1812-95), of Castle Archdale and Trillick, MP for Fermanagh, 1834-74, High Sheriff, 1879, who married, Emma Inez, daughter of Jacob Goulding, and had issue,
Mervyn Henry, m Mary de Bathe and had issue;
Hugh James (brigadier-general), 1854-1921;
Georgina Emma Matilda; Blanche Mary Mervyn; Evelyn Jane.
Mr Archdale's younger brother,

WILLIAM HUMPHRYS ARCHDALE JP (1813-99), of Castle Archdale, Riversdale, and Trillick, MP for Fermanagh, 1874-85, wedded firstly, in 1845, Emily Mary Rebecca, daughter of the Rev and Hon John Charles Maude, in a childless marriage; and secondly, in 1894, Matilda Mary, daughter of William Alley, in an issueless marriage.

His younger brother,

THE REV HENRY MONTGOMERY ARCHDALE (1818-98), Rector of Trory, 1847-76, wedded, in 1848, Sarah Elizabeth, daughter of James Blackwood-Price, and had issue,
EDWARD, his heir;
Henry Dawson, died young;
James Blackwood;
Audley Mervyn;
GEORGE, of Dromard, Kesh; father of
Elizabeth; Richmal Magnall; Sarah Blackwood; Matilda Humphrys.
The Rev Henry Archdale was succeeded by his eldest son,

THE RT HON EDWARD ARCHDALE JP DL (1850-1916), of Castle Archdale and Trillick, privy counsellor, Lord-Lieutenant of Tyrone, 1913, High Sheriff, 1902, who espoused, in 1908, Elizabeth, daugher of Nicholas Harwood, in a childless marriage.

He was succeeded by his brother,

JAMES BLACKWOOD ARCHDALE JP DL (1853-1936), of Castle Archdale and Trillick, High Sheriff of Tyrone, 1921, and of Fermanagh, 1923, who married, in 1886, Elizabeth, daughter of George May, and had issue, a son,

HENRY BLACKWOOD ARCHDALE (1887-1939), of Castle Archdale and Trillick, who wedded, in 1921, Dorothy Audley, daughter of William Audley Mervyn, in a childless marriage.

He was succeeded by his cousin,

MERVYN HENRY DAWSON ARCHDALE JP DL (1904-68), of Ashburton, New Zealand, and of Castle Archdale, High Sheriff, 1944, married Wilhelmina Rachael, daughter of John Castle, and had issue,
Denis Theodore.
Mr Archdale was succeeded by his eldest son,

DESMOND ARCHDALE (1932-), of Castle Archdale.

First published in March, 2012.

Sunday, 19 June 2016

Moydrum Castle


WILLIAM HANDCOCK (c1631-1707), of Twyford, County Westmeath, descended from a family of considerable antiquity in Lancashire, MP for that county in the first parliament after the restoration of CHARLES II, was nominated one of the council of Connaught, and obtained a patent in 1680, to erect his estates into a manor, under the designation of the manor of Twyford, with ample privileges.

Mr Handcock married, in 1652, Abigail, sister of Sir Thomas Stanley, by whom he had, with other issue,
THOMAS, his heir;
William (Sir), Knight; Recorder of Dublin;
Stephen (Very Rev), Dean of Clonmacnoise;
Matthew (Ven), Archdeacon of Kilmore;
Stanley, drowned;
Hannah; Sarah; Elizabeth.
The eldest son,

THOMAS HANDCOCK MP, of Twyford, was succeeded by his eldest son,

WILLIAM HANDCOCK, who married Miss Warburton, and was succeeded by his eldest son,

WILLIAM HANDCOCK, who espoused Elizabeth Vesey, second daughter of the Rt Rev Sir Thomas Vesey Bt, Lord Bishop of Ossory; but by her having no issue, he was succeeded by his brother, 

THE VERY REV RICHARD HANDCOCK, Dean of Achonry, who had a numerous family and was succeeded by his eldest son,

THE RT HON AND VERY REV WILLIAM HANDCOCK MP (1761-1839), Dean of Achonry, privy counsellor, governor and constable of Athlone.

Dean Handcock espoused Sarah, only daughter and heiress of Richard Toler, of Ballintore, County Kildare, by whom he had,
Sarah; Susanna; Dorothy; Mary; Elizabeth; Anne.
Dean Handcock was succeeded by his eldest son,

THE RT HON WILLIAM HANDCOCK MP (1761-1839), who was elevated to the peerage, in 1812, as Baron Castlemaine; and advanced to a viscountcy, as VISCOUNT CASTLEMAINE, in 1822.

On his lordship's death the viscountcy expired, though the barony passed to his brother.
The heir apparent is the present holder's only son, the Hon Ronan Michael Handcock. 
The 5th Baron was the last Lord-Lieutenant of County Westmeath, from 1899 until 1922.

 Roland Thomas John [Handcock], 8th and present Lord Castlemaine, MBE, lives at Salisbury, Wiltshire.

The heir is the present holder's son, the Hon Ronan Michael Handcock (b 1989).

MOYDRUM CASTLE, near Athlone, County Westmeath, was a seven-bay, two-storey over basement castellated country house, rebuilt ca 1812 (incorporating the fabric of an earlier house built c1750), having an advanced three-storey breakfront/gate tower (offset) to the west side of centre.

There were turrets on an octagonal plan to the corners of an advanced tower and to the west end of the front fa├žade (north); a turret on square plan to the east end.

The house is now out of use, derelict and partially collapsed to the west side.

There were rough-cast, cement-rendered walls, now failing and exposing limestone rubble construction below, with cut stone plinth to base.

Clasping buttresses between bays to the east side of tower; extensive decoration to walls with incised cross loop motifs, cut stone quatrefoils and cut stone hoodmouldings over window openings.

The walls are now largely overgrown with ivy.

Square-headed openings to main body of structure, originally having cut stone surrounds and cut-stone tracery.

Tudor Gothic-arched doorcase to front face of tower, inset within a Tudor-Gothic arched recess and originally with cut stone surrounds (now gone).

Pointed-arched window over doorcase to first storey, originally with Geometric tracery.

Set back from road in extensive mature grounds with remains of a walled garden and ancillary structures to the rear.

These remain impressive and picturesque ruins of a large-scale, Gothic-Revival, castellated country house.

The scale and the attention to detail are still apparent, despite its ruinous condition; and fragments of the early cut stone detailing are still evident to a number of openings from behind the extensive ivy growth.

This important Gothic-Revival essay was built to designs by Sir Richard Morrison (1767-1849), who was commissioned by William Handcock to rebuild an existing house befitting of his new status as Lord Castlemaine, c.1812.

The house was burnt in 1921 and has remained a ruin ever since.
Moydrum Castle, given its status as the seat of HM Lord-Lieutenant of County Westmeath and a member of the House of Lords, was chosen as a suitably symbolic target for Irish republican reprisals: On the night of July 3rd, 1921, an assembly of IRA members marched on the castle.

The 5th Baron was out of Ireland at the time, but Lady Castlemaine and their daughter, together with several servants, were in residence and were woken from their sleep by knocking at the door.

They were given time to gather together a few valuable belongings before the building was set alight. The blaze completely destroyed the castle.
Following the establishment of the Irish Free State, much of the land belonging to Lord Castlemaine was acquired by the Irish Land Commission.

The Castlemaines were never to return to Moydrum.

These impressive and romantic ruins have been much photographed since and a picture of the remains featured on the cover of the U2 album 'The Unforgettable Fire'.

These ruins have now become almost a place of pilgrimage for U2 fans and the interior walls are now covered with graffiti relating to the band, giving this site a new cultural significance.

Castlemaine arms courtesy of European Heraldry.  First published in May, 2012.