Wednesday, 29 April 2020

Strangford House

THOMAS DAWSON, elder brother of the Rt Rev Dr Robert Dawson, consecrated Lord Bishop of Clonfert, 1627, went to Ireland in 1601, it is stated, from Temple Sowerby, Westmorland, and purchased the lands of Castle Dawson, County Londonderry.

His son and successor,

THOMAS DAWSON, Commissary of the Musters of the Army in Ireland, died in 1683, and was succeeded by his son,

THOMAS DAWSON (c1654-1732), of Castle Dawson, MP for Antrim borough, 1695-9, who married Olivia Upton, of Castle Upton, County Antrim, and was succeeded by his brother,

JOSHUA DAWSON (c1660-c1725), of Castle Dawson, MP for Wicklow Borough, 1705-14, Secretary for Ireland during the reign of QUEEN ANNE, who wedded, ca 1695,  Anne, daughter of Thomas Carr (son of Sir George Carr, Secretary for Ireland), and had issue,
Arthur, ancestor of DAWSON OF MOYOLA PARK;
CHARLES, of whom we treat;
Mr Dawson's youngest son,

CHARLES DAWSON, HM Inspector of Customs for Ireland, espoused Sarah, daughter of John Downing, of Bellaghy and Rowesgift, County Londonderry (eldest son of Colonel Adam Downing, and grandson of Henry Downing, younger brother of Sir George Downing Bt, the eminent statesman), and had issue, two sons and three daughters.

The elder surviving son,

REAR-ADMIRAL JOHN DAWSON (1760-), of Carrickfergus, County Antrim, and of County Cavan, married his first cousin, Medicis, eldest daughter of the Rev Alexander Clotworthy Downing, of Bellaghy and Rowesgift, Rector of Leckpatrick, County Tyrone, and of Thamazine his wife, daughter and heir of Albert Nesbitt, of Tubberdaly, King's County, and had issue,
Charles, died in infancy;
Alexander, died 1841 sp;
Andrew Hamond Snape, died 1873 sp;
The younger daughter,

ANNE ARABELLA DAWSON, of Corratinner, County Cavan, wedded, in 1847, the Rev John Wrixon, Vicar of Malone, County Antrim, and had issue,
ANNA MEDICI, of Dunloskin, Carrickfergus, m JG Echlin, of Ardquin;
MARIE ELIZABETH, of whom we treat.
The younger daughter,

MARIE ELIZABETH WRIXON, of Corratinner, County Cavan, espoused, in 1879,

GEORGE FRANCIS SAVAGE-ARMSTRONG (1845-1906), of Strangford House, County Down, only surviving son of Edmund John Armstrong, by his wife Jane, daughter and eventual heiress of the Rev Henry Savage, of Glastry, County Down, incumbent of Ardkeen.

On the death of a maternal uncle, he assumed by deed poll, in 1890, as representative of his grandfather, the additional surname of SAVAGE.

They had issue,
John Raymond Savage, b 1882;
Arabella Guendolen Savage.

STRANGFORD HOUSE, Castle Street, Strangford, County Down, is a late 18th century house of three storeys, built about 1789 by HM Collector of Customs, a Mr Norris.

It has a three-bay front, and the centre bay breaks forward.

The doorway has a fanlight with sidelights; and the door lintel is adorned with carved swags.

The top storey has no windows at the front, though there are rectangular blind panels in lieu of the windows instead.

First published in October, 2017.

No comments :