Saturday 5 August 2017

The Prince Henry

A photograph of my late father, Major Thomas Ferres TD, being presented to Field Marshal His late Royal Highness The Prince Henry, Duke of Gloucester, Earl of Ulster, KG KT KP GCB GCMG GCVO (1900-74).

Prince Henry was appointed Field Marshal in 1955, so this picture would have been taken at some time in the 50s or early 60s, I think. My father was a captain at the time.

Prince Henry was the third son of King George V and Queen Mary, and thus uncle to Elizabeth II.

He was appointed potential regent for his niece, when his brother (George VI) came to the throne in 1936, and was required to stay in the United Kingdom until she came of age in case her father died and she ascended the throne under age.

HRH served as the 11th Governor-General of Australia, from 1945-47.

At his death, Prince Henry was the last surviving Knight of the Most Illustrious Order of St. Patrick.

7 comments :

Gavin Bamford said...

Hi, I am interested in the Major on the left as he looks a bit like my late father, Major G W Rea Bamford (RASC) who died in 1961. The uniforms are strange but must be a No. 1 dress version. Do you have any names etc? Have you ever researched your father using his army officer number in the London Gazette website? It is possible to obtain an officers full promotional listing. Regards, Gavin

Timothy Belmont said...

Hi Gavin

No, I'd need to search for his number. The major to left could well have been your Dad. Can you enlarge and see regimental badge? My Dad's would have been REME and I recognize it. It would have been No 1 Dress and I have my father's cap with gold braid in a display cabinet in the hall! The uniform was navy blue - almost black - and scarlet trim.

Timothy Belmont said...

I had a look at the major's lapel badge and it's definitely a star, like a guards regiment or RCT. Does that help at all?

Tim

Timothy Belmont said...

Re badge: Royal Army Service Corps had a star badge and the major in pic was most likely your Dad, Gavin.

Anon, CAPTION: 'How about an Earldom, your Highness? It's not for me you understand...'

REPLY: "Not at all; a marquessate would be more appropriate. I'll have a word with The Queen."

Gavin Bamford said...

Yes, I would agree with RASC and have cheekily taken a copy for myself.

I have also found a booklet produced a few years ago about the history of the TA & TAVR in Northern Ireland. If you have not got that booklet, I will e-mail you some scans of the REME pages.

What is your family surname?

Regards

Gavin

Timothy Belmont said...

If you "contact me" at the link to left-hand side I'll give you more details, Gavin.

Timothy Belmont said...

Gavin, any idea what year the photo was taken?