This is a branch of the noble house of BUTLER, Earls and Marquesses of Ormonde, springing from
THE HON RICHARD BUTLER (1500-71), second son of Piers, 8th Earl of Ormonde, who was created VISCOUNT MOUNTGARRET, in 1550.
He married firstly, Eleanor, daughter of Theobald Butler, of Nechum, County Kilkenny, and had one son, Edmund.
He wedded secondly, Catherine, daughter and heir of Peter Barnewall, of Stackallan, County Meath, and had Barnewall, who died unmarried, Pierce, and other issue.
His lordship espoused thirdly, in 1541, Anne, daughter of John, Lord Killeen, from whom he was divorced in the first year of his marriage.
He was succeeded by his eldest son,
EDMUND, 2nd Viscount (c1562-1602), who married Grizzel, daughter of Barnaby, 1st Baron Upper Ossory, and was succeeded by his eldest son,
RICHARD, 3rd Viscount (1578-1651), who wedded firstly, Margaret, eldest daughter of Hugh O'Neill, Earl of Tyrone, by whom alone he had issue, and was succeeded by his eldest son,
EDMUND, 4th Viscount (1595-1679),
Piers James Richard [Butler], 18th and present Viscount, is de jure 27th Earl of Ormonde and 21st Earl of Upper Ossory following the death of the 7th Marquess of Ormonde in 1997.
- Edmund Butler, 2nd Viscount (d 1602);
- Richard Butler, 3rd Viscount (1578–1651);
- Edmund Butler, 4th Viscount (1595–1679);
- Richard Butler, 5th Viscount (d 1706);
- Edmund Butler, 6th Viscount (1663–1735);
- Richard Butler, 7th Viscount (1685–1736);
- James Butler, 8th Viscount (1686–1749);
- Edmund Butler, 9th Viscount (1687–1751);
- Edmund Butler, 10th Viscount (d 1779);
- Edmund Butler, 11th Viscount (1745–93);
- Edmund Butler, 12th Viscount (1771–1846) (created Earl of Kilkenny in 1793).
Earls of Kilkenny (1793)
Viscounts Mountgarret (continued)
The current heir presumptive is the present holder's brother, Edmund Henry Richard Butler (b 1962).
- Henry Edmund Butler, 13th Viscount (1816–1900)
- Henry Edmund Butler, 14th Viscount (1844–1912)
- Edmund Somerset Butler, 15th Viscount (1875–1918)
- Piers Henry Augustine Butler, 16th Viscount (1903–66)
- Richard Henry Piers Butler, 17th Viscount (1936–2004)
- Piers James Richard Butler, 18th Viscount (b 1961)
This house makes an important impression in a landscape dominated by late 20th-century industrial ranges.
First published in February, 2012. Mountgarret arms courtesy of European Heraldry.