CHALLIS HAYES, son of Challis Hayes, of Bridgewater, Somerset, vice-consul at Lisbon, married Miss Deborah Holditch, of Totnes, Devon.
Mr Hayes was murdered by his servant at Lisbon in 1737, and left an only surviving son,
SAMUEL HAYES, who married Mary, daughter and heiress of William Basil, of Drumboe Castle, County Donegal, and of Wilton Park, Buckinghamshire, by whom he had issue,
SAMUEL, his successor;His son,
SAMUEL HAYES (1737-1807), MP for Augher, 1783-90, who married Mary, daughter of William Basil (previously Ball), of Wilton Park, Buckinghamshire, and Drumboe Castle.
Mr Hayes was created a baronet in 1789; and dying in 1807, was succeeded by his son,
SIR SAMUEL HAYES, 2nd Baronet (1773-1827), of Drumboe Castle, who married, in 1803, Elizabeth, daughter of Sir Thomas Lighton Bt, and had issue,
EDMUND SAMUEL, his heir;Sir Samuel was succeeded by his son,
Anne; Harriet; Mary.
SIR EDMUND SAMUEL HAYES, 3rd Baronet (1806-60), of Drumboe Castle, MP for County Donegal, 1831-60; founding member of the Carlton Club.
He married, in 1837, Emily, daughter of Hon Hercules Robert Pakenham, son of Edward, 2nd Lord Longford.
His eldest son and heir,
SIR SAMUEL HERCULES HAYES, 4th Baronet, (1840-1901), of Drumboe Castle, wedded, in 1878, Alice Anne, daughter of James, 4th Viscount Lifford and had issue, a daughter, Alice Emily Hayes.
10th (North Lincoln) Regiment of Foot, 1858; Captain, 2nd Regiment of Life Guards; High Sheriff of Donegal, 1884-87.His brother,
SIR EDMUND FRANCIS HAYES, 5th and last baronet (1850-1912), of Drumboe Castle, inherited the family estate in 1901 on the death of his brother, Sir Samuel, 4th Baronet.
He married Alice Isabella, daughter of Judge Wilkinson, of Sydney, Australia, in 1900.
Sir Edmund died at Drumboe Castle.
On his death the baronetcy became extinct.
Lady Hayes died in 1943 from injuries sustained after stepping in front of a tramcar, in 1943, in Sydney.
DRUMBOE CASTLE, near Stranorlar, County Donegal, was a Georgian house comprising a three-storey centre with a three-sided centre bow and pillared porch; and bow-ended wings.
There was a Wyatt window on either side of the centre bow.
In 1622, Robert Redington sold the estate at Ballybofey to Sir Ralph Bingley.
Bingley erected the original Drumboe Castle, which had four large towers.
Its location protected a ford across the river.
After the death of Sir Ralph, his widow, Jane, and Robert Harrington took charge until 1641, when it was granted to Sir William Bazil, Attorney-General for Ireland.
A descendent of Sir William Bazil was William Basil (formerly William Ball), who married Frances Dowdeswell ca 1736.
Their daughter, Mary Basil, married Sir Samuel Hayes Bt and through this marriage it became the home of the Hayes Baronets, of Drumboe Castle, from 1789 until 1912.
It became the General Headquarters for the forces of the Irish Free State in County Donegal during the Irish Civil War.
It is infamous for being the location of the Drumboe massacre during the Irish Civil War.
The house has been ruinous since 1945.
First published in July, 2013.