The noble family of CAVENDISH, of which two branches obtained dukedoms, laid the foundations of its greatness originally on the share of abbey lands, obtained, at the dissolution of the monasteries, by Sir William Cavendish, who had been gentleman usher to Cardinal Wolsey, and died in 1557; and subsequently, by the abilities and the good fortune of Elizabeth, his widow, who re-married George, Earl of Shrewsbury.
But though thence arose the exalted rank and extensive possessions enjoyed at present by the Cavendishes, be it not supposed that their remote ancestors were obscure.
Whether the first of the name who enjoyed the lordship of Cavendish, in Suffolk, was or was not the son of a member of the baronial family of GERNON, it is clearly ascertained that Sir John Cavendish was Chief Justice of the King's Bench, 1372-81.
In 1753, the 4th Duke and Duchess inherited the Lismore estate, located mainly in County Waterford.
The present Duke continues to own property in and around the town of Lismore, County Waterford, including Lismore Castle.
LISMORE CASTLE, County Waterford, is an impressive building of great historic importance, incorporating the fabric of various building projects dating primarily to the 17th and 19th centuries.
The remains of medieval fabric to some towers confirm the archaeological significance of the site.
Well maintained, the castle retains most of the original fabric throughout, both to the exterior and to the interior, while internal schemes, including the Great Hall completed to the designs of John Gregory Crace (1809-89) and Augustus Welby Northmore Pugin (1812-52), incorporate features of artistic design importance, together with open timber roof constructions of technical interest.The Castle has been visited by renowned dignitaries, and has played a central role in the development and historic events of the locality.
It comprises a multiple-bay, two, three, four and five-storey rubble stone edifice, reconstructed in 1849, on a complex quadrangular plan about a courtyard incorporating fabric of earlier rebuilding in 1812.
The original castle of 1612 contains medieval fabric throughout, comprising a single-bay, five-stage entrance tower on a square plan having shallow segmental-headed carriageway, single-bay three-stage flanking tower to west on a square plan, four-bay two-storey range to east extending into single-bay three-stage corner tower to south-east on a square plan having single-bay four-stage turret to south, and three-bay two-storey range to west.Its construction is complex and further reading can easily be obtained elsewhere.
It is set back from the road in own grounds, forming a demesne with gravel courtyard to the centre of buildings.
Landscaped grounds are to the north, falling down to the River Blackwater.
First published in April, 2012.