JOHN FOSTER, of Dunleer, County Louth, son of Colonel Anthony Foster, married Elizabeth, youngest daughter of William Fortescue, of Newrath, County Louth, and aunt of William Henry, 1st Earl of Clermont, and by her had issue,
ANTHONY, his heir;Mr Foster died in 1747, and was succeeded by his eldest son,
John William, MP for Dunleer;
Margaret; Charlotte; Alice.
ANTHONY FOSTER (1705-79), of Collon, County Louth, who wedded firstly, in 1736, Elizabeth, daughter of William Burgh, by whom he had issue,
JOHN, his heir;He espoused secondly, in 1749, Dorothea, daughter of Thomas de Burgh.
William (Rt Rev);
Mr Foster was succeeded by his elder son,
THE RT HON JOHN FOSTER (1740-1828), of Dunleer, County Louth, MP for Dunleer, who married Margaretta Amelia Foster, VISCOUNTESS FERRARD in her own right.
In 1821, Mr Foster was created BARON ORIEL, of Ferrard, County Louth.
His wife, Margaretta Amelia (daughter of Thomas Burgh MP, of Bert, County Kildare) was created Baroness Oriel in her own right, in 1790; and Viscountess Ferrard in 1797.
They had issue,
THOMAS HENRY;The only son and successor,
Anna Dorothea, m to Lord Dufferin.
THOMAS HENRY (1772-1843), 2nd Viscount Ferrard, wedded, in 1810, Harriet, Viscountess Massereene and Baroness Loughneagh in her own right.
In consequence of this union, Lord Ferrard assumed the Viscountess's surname of SKEFFINGTON, and the arms of her ladyship's family.
The earlier house was known simply as Collon.
The Temple had a pedimented portico and a room painted by Peter de Gree.
About 1812, Mr Speaker Foster added to the Temple and it became a somewhat amorphous two-storey house with the entrance doorway in a bow, under a pedimented porch with two, fluted, Doric columns.
It is now greatly altered.
One of the main features of this period around Collon was the return of the Cistercian Order to the district in 1938.
The Order purchased Oriel Temple and surrounding lands and established a new monastery there.
It is located about three miles from the ruins of their first foundation in Ireland.
Mother Mary Martin, the founder of the medical and nursing order of nuns, The Medical Missionaries of Mary, established her first house of the Order, in Collon, in 1938.
The order moved to Drogheda shortly afterwards where they built the Lourdes Hospital.
First published in September, 2011.