DR WILLIAM YOUNG (1792-1854), of Galgorm Castle, County Antrim (son of William Young by his wife, Jane Hunter), thrice married, graduated as a Doctor of Medicine.
He married firstly, Anne, daughter of William Gihon, in 1823; secondly, Jane Crawford after 1835; thirdly, Maria Miller after 1844.
By his first wife he had issue,
John, of Galgorm Castle;The younger son,
WILLIAM ALEXANDER, of whom we treat.
WILLIAM ALEXANDER YOUNG (1829-94), married Margaret Gihon, daughter of Andrew Todd Dickey, and had issue, four children, of whom two survived:
KINTULLAGH CASTLE, near Ballymena, County Antrim, is a Victorian-Jacobean house, not dissimilar in appearance to Tempo Manor in County Fermanagh.
Its construction, ca 1863, has been attributed to Thomas Turner, of Belfast.
It has curvilinear gables; rectangular and round-headed plate glass windows, some of the former having entablatures on which there is strap-work.
There is a square corner turret with belfry and ogee spire.
THE RIGHT HON JOHN YOUNG, chairman and founder of the Braidwater Spinning Company, purchased the land at Kintullagh from Sir Robert Shafto Adair Bt in 1864.
Kintullagh Castle was built as a wedding gift for Mr Young's son and daughter-in-law, William and Margaret, said to be of French origin.
The initials of the bride and groom (Margaret and William) are engraved over the doors and windows of Kintullagh, and the French emblem is very much in evidence all over the building.
The Misses Mary and Edith Young continued to live at Kintullagh until 1918, when it was purchased by two brothers-in-law, Dr E B Armstrong and Mr S Gilmer.
In the early 1920s, Kintullagh changed hands again: It was bought on behalf of the Roman Catholic parish of Ballymena and rented to the Sisters of Saint Louis (who purchased it outright in the 1960s).
Mr John Bryson is married to Rose Young, great-granddaughter of William and Margaret Young.
First published in September, 2013.