The younger at Lymm Hall, Cheshire, of which
GILBERT DOMVILLE (2nd son and heir of William Domville, of Lymm Hall),
removed into Ireland in the beginning of the reign of JAMES I, and was clerk of the Crown and Hanaper there, having for his colleague the ancestor of the Wellesley family. This gentleman was MP for County Kildare in 1618.Mr Domville married Margaret, daughter of the Most Rev Thomas Jones, Lord Archbishop of Dublin, LORD CHANCELLOR OF IRELAND, father of the 1st Viscount Ranelagh.
THE RT HON SIR WILLIAM DOMVILLE, was attorney-general for Ireland in 1660, MP for County Dublin, a privy counsellor, and Speaker of the general Convention of Ireland at the Restoration.
Sir William wedded Miss Lake, daughter of Sir Thomas Lake, of Cannons, Middlesex, Secretary of State to JAMES I, and had issue,
William (Sir), MP for Co Dublin;The younger son,
THOMAS, of whom we treat.
THOMAS DOMVILE, of Templeogue, was created a baronet in 1686
SIR THOMAS DOMVILE (c1650-1721), of Templeogue, clerk of the Crown and Hanaper, was created a baronet in 1686.
He wedded firstly, the daughter of his cousin, Sir Launcelot Lake, by whom he had a daughter (married to Barry, 3rd Lord Santry).
He espoused secondly, the Hon _____ Cole, daughter of Arthur, Lord Ranelagh, but had no issue.
Sir Thomas married thirdly, Anne, daughter of the Hon Sir Charles Compton, second son of Spencer, 2nd Earl of Northampton, by whom he had issue,
COMPTON, his heir;Sir Thomas was succeeded by his son,
Elizabeth, mother of CHARLES DOMVILE.
THE RT HON SIR COMPTON DOMVILE (1696-1768), 2nd Baronet, clerk of the Crown and Hanaper, privy counsellor, MP for Dublin for forty-four years.
At the decease of this gentleman, in 1768, the baronetcy expired, and his estates devolved upon his nephew,
CHARLES POCKLINGTON, sometime MP for County Dublin, who assumed, pursuant to the will of his uncle, the surname and arms of DOMVILE only.
He wedded Margaret, daughter of ______ Sheppard, and had issue,
COMPTON, created a baronet as above;The eldest son,
Henry Barry, in holy orders;
William, in holy orders;
Elizabeth; Margaret; Anna Maria;
Caroline; Louisa; Mary; Bridget.
COMPTON POCKLINGTON DOMVILE (1775-1857), was created, in 1815, a baronet, of Templeogue and Santry House, both in County Dublin.
He married firstly, Elizabeth Frances, daughter of the Hon and Rt Rev Charles Lindsay, Lord Bishop of Kildare, and cousin of Lord Balcarres; by whom he had a son,
SIR CHALES COMPTON WILLIAM DOMVILE (1822-84), 2nd Baronet.
The baronetcy expired on the death of the 4th Baronet.
- Sir Charles Compton William Domvile, 2nd Baronet (1822-84) son of 1st baronet; married Lady Margaret St. Lawrence; no issue;
- Sir William Compton Domvile, 3rd Baronet (1825-84) son of 1st baronet; married Caroline Meade; one son and three daughters, including Mary Adelaide, later wife of Sir Hutcheson Poë, 1st Baronet
- Sir Compton Meade Domvile, 4th Baronet (1857-1935) son of 3rd Baronet; never married.
SANTRY COURT, Santry, County Dublin, was a very important, early 18th century mansion of red brick with stone facings, built in 1703 by the 3rd Lord Barry of Santry, commonly called Lord Santry.
It was of two storeys over a singularly high basement, with a dormer attic behind the roof parapet.
It had a nine-bay entrance front with a pedimented breakfront.
There were Corinthian columns at the head of a great flight of steps.
Curved wings and sweeps were added later, ca 1740-50, by the 4th and last Lord Barry (Lord Santry).
The Court had a fine interior with a large hall; good plasterwork.
Following the death of Henry, 4th Baron Barry of Santry, the Domvile family inherited the Santry estate, including Ballymun.
Santry Court and nearly 5,000 acres of land remained in the Domvile family’s hands for almost 200 years (1751-1935).
Much of the historical records for the Santry Estate date from Sir (Thomas) Compton Domvile's inheritance of Santry Estate in 1751.
There is some evidence that the Santry estate was experiencing financial difficulties, partly due to the expenses incurred building Santry Court, but also because of the lavish habits of the 4th Baron.
When Sir Charles, 2nd Baronet, inherited Santry Court, demesne and estate from his father in 1857, he began the largest renovation and building programme (gardens and house) that the Santry estate had seen since its construction in the early 18th century.
A vast number of maps, diagrams and plans have survived from this period. Sir Charles was the last member of the Domvile family to reside permanently at Santry. He married Lady Margaret Frances St Lawrence, a daughter of the 3rd and last Earl of Howth.After the death of Sir Charles, Santry Court passed briefly to his brother, Sir William, 3rd Baronet, and then to the Pöe family who were relatives of the Domviles by marriage.
Shortly after 1935, Santry Court became a residential care home.
The house fell into disrepair, initially at the turn of the 20th century as the estate proved not to be economically viable; but ultimately after the Domvile family left Ireland in 1921.
It came into the possession of the Irish state, which intended to repair it and use it as a mental asylum.
This plan was shelved by the start of the 2nd World War; the need to increase security around Dublin Airport meant it was used as an army depot, and part of the gardens as a firing range.
There are many theories locally about what happened next, but it appears that soldiers of the Irish army caused a fire and the house was severely damaged in 1947; followed by demolition shortly afterwards.
First published in November, 2011.