This family and that of TRENCH, Earls of Clancarty, derive from a common ancestor, namely,
FREDERICK TRENCH, who settled at Garbally, County Galway, some time in the beginning of the 17th century, and dying in 1669, left by Anna, his wife, daughter of the Rev James Trench, two sons:
FREDERICK, of Garbally, founded the house of Clancarty;Dying in 1725, Mr Trench was succeeded by his eldest son,
John (Very Rev), Dean of Raphoe.
FREDERICK TRENCH, of Moate, County Galway, who married, in 1718, Mary, daughter and heiress of Richard Geering, Clerk of the Court of Chancery, and had to survive him,
FREDERICK, his heir;Anne; Mary; Elizabeth.He died in 1758, and was succeeded by his only surviving son,
FREDERICK TRENCH, of Moate and Woodlawn, both in County Galway, who wedded, in 1754, Mary, eldest daughter and co-heir of Francis Sadleir, of Sopwell Hall, County Tipperary.
He died in 1797, and left issue,
FREDERICK, his heir;
Francis, of Sopwell Hall, father of FREDERICK;
Thomas (Very Rev), Dean of Kildare;
William, of Cangort Castle;
Catharine; Mary; Elizabeth; Frances; Anne.
FREDERICK TRENCH (1755-1840), of Moate, espoused, in 1785, Elizabeth, only daughter and heiress of Dr Robert Robinson, and niece of the Hon Mr Justice Robinson, one of the judges of the Court of King's Bench, but had no issue.
Mr Trench was elevated to the peerage, in 1800, by the title of BARON ASHTOWN, of Moate, County Galway.
His lordship represented Portarlington in the Irish parliament from 1798-1800; and Maryborough, 1785-90.
- Frederick Mason Trench, 2nd Baron (1804–80)
- Frederick Oliver Trench, 3rd Baron (1868–1946)
- Robert Power Trench, 4th Baron (1897–1966)
- Dudley Oliver Trench, 5th Baron (1901–79)
- Christopher Oliver Trench, 6th Baron (1931–90)
- Nigel Clive Cosby Trench, 7th Baron (1916–2010)
- Roderick Nigel Godolphin Trench, 8th Baron (b 1944)
They were all descended from Frederick Trench who came to Ireland early in the 1600s.
Much of the Woodlawn estate was originally Martin and Barnewall lands which were purchased by the Trenches in the early 18th century.
In County Roscommon he held over a 1,000 acres; and in County Tipperary he held at least 21 townlands in the parishes of Ballingarry and Uskane, barony of Lower Ormond, inherited from the Sadleir family of Sopwell Hall.
In the 1870s Lord Ashtown is recorded as the owner of 11,273 acres in County Limerick and 4,526 acres in County Tipperary.
WOODLAWN HOUSE, near Kilconnell, County Galway, is a Palladian-style country house comprising a three-bay, three-storey central block built ca 1760, having slightly advanced end bays and projecting tetra-style Ionic portico to entrance bay.
There is an interesting video clip of the mansion house and ruinous outbuildings here.
It boasts 26 bedrooms, a walled garden, courtyard, gatehouse, gardener's house and a lake.
The central block has tripartite openings to end bays, ground floor of each end bay having segmental pediment and engaged Doric columns to slightly advanced middle light, and flanked by Doric pilasters.
This large house is an elaborate exercise in classical orders, the use of carved and cut limestone extending throughout the front elevation and evidence of both the skill of 19th century stonemasons and the wealth of the Trench family whose seat it was.
Although the motifs are classical, the extensive use of dark limestone, the variety of textures and treatments, and the use of pinnacles give it a somewhat Gothic appearance typical of the late 19th century.
During the 1920s, the 3rd Baron was declared bankrupt and, as a result, the house was closed up and its contents sold at auction; at one point, the IRA occupied one of the wings.
The 4th Baron eventually returned to Woodlawn, but in 1947 he sold the estate to his cousin, Derek Le Poer Trench who, in turn, disposed of it in 1973.
Ashtown arms courtesy of European Heraldry. First published in December, 2011.