This ancient family claims descent from the house of HARCOURT, in Lorraine, who were Counts in Normandy. In 1461,
JOHN HARE, son of Thomas Hare, by Joyce, his wife, daughter of John Hyde, of Norbury, resided at Homersfield, in Suffolk and had a son,
NICHOLAS HARE, father of
JOHN HARE, who, by Elizabeth Fortescue, his wife, had two sons, viz.
NICHOLAS;The younger son,
JOHN HARE, having eventually inherited the estates of his brother, Sir Nicholas, became of Stow Bardolph.
He had a numerous family, seven sons and three daughters. Of the former,
RICHARD, the eldest, was ancestor of the HARES of Stow Bardolph, raised to the degree of Baronet in 1641; and
JOHN HARE, the youngest, a bencher of the Middle Temple, wedded Margaret, daughter of John Crouch, of Cornbury, Hertfordshire; and by her had a son,
HUGH HARE, a faithful adherent of CHARLES I, by whom he was created BARON COLERAINE.
His lordship married and had issue.
RICHARD HARE, of Ennismore, (3rd son of John Hare, of Cork, a native of Norfolk),the immediate founder of this family, married Catherine Maylor, and had issue,
WILLIAM, his successor;
John, died unmarried, 1774;
Mary; Margaret Anne.
WILLIAM HARE (1751-1837), represented Cork and Athy in the Irish parliament from 1796 until the final dissolution of that assembly.
Mr Hare was elevated to the peerage, in 1800, as Baron Ennismore; and advanced to a viscounty, in 1816, as Viscount Ennismore and Listowel.
His lordship was further advanced to the dignity of an earldom, in 1822, as EARL OF LISTOWEL.
RICHARD, father of WILLIAM, 2ND EARL;He espoused secondly, in 1812, Anne, second daughter of John Latham, of Meldrum, County Tipperary.
Margaret Anne; Mary; Louisa; Catharine.
His lordship was succeeded by his grandson,
WILLIAM (1801-56), 2nd Earl.
The heir presumptive is the present holder's brother, the Hon Timothy Patrick Hare (b 1966).
- William Hare, 2nd Earl (1801–56);
- William Hare, 3rd Earl (1833–1924);
- Richard Granville Hare, 4th Earl (1866–1931);
- William Francis Hare, 5th Earl (1906–97);
- Francis Michael Hare, 6th Earl (b 1964).
THE PRINCIPAL family seat was Convamore, County Cork, though they were also seated at Ennismore Park, County Kerry, which was sold by the Bailey family to the Hares in the late 18th century.
William, 1st Earl of Listowel, built a new house beside the River Blackwater in the early 19th century.
He was residing at Convamore in 1814.
It remained the family seat in 1894. The house was burned in 1921 and is now a ruin.
The family's town residence was Kingston House, Knightsbridge, London. The 3rd Earl, the then owner of the Kingston House estate, was admitted as copyholder and secured the ground's enfranchisement from manorial control.
In 1855, the substantial portion of the estate built up with houses and stables in the 1840s and early 1950s was sold by the 2nd Earl, but the greater part, including Kingston House itself, remained in the possession of the Hare family until shortly before the Second World War.
With the death of the 4th Earl in 1931, the estate passed not to his eldest son, the socialist 5th Earl, but on trust to a younger son, the Hon John Hare, later 1st Viscount Blakenham.
The 3rd Earl died at Kingston House in 1924, and the last occupant was his widow, who in turn died there in 1936. In March, 1937, the contents were sold and that autumn the house itself was demolished for the building of flats.
CONVAMORE HOUSE was a large and plain two-storey early 19th century mansion, situated above a fine stretch of the River Blackwater in County Cork.
The entrance front had a single storey Doric portico; while the block with the main rooms was faced with Victorian stucco and plate-glass windows.
The walls of the old Roche castle are said to be stained with tar from a beacon that was lit when EDWARD VII paid a visit as Prince of Wales.
The castle belonged lately to a Major Hirtch, whose father built a gabled fishing lodge beside it.
These decorative cast-iron entrance gates and finely carved piers of solid limestone blocks exhibit high levels of craftsmanship.
The gateway to Convamore House was erected for a visit by the Prince of Wales in 1886.
Listowel arms courtesy of European Heraldry. First published in February, 2012.