THOMAS LUCAS, of Saxham, Suffolk, secretary to Jasper Tudor, Duke of Bedford, and solicitor to HENRY VIII, married Elizabeth, daughter of R Kemys, of Raglan, Wales, and had issue,
Jasper, of Saxham;The second son,
HENRY, of whom presently;
HENRY LUCAS, wedded firstly, Mary, daughter of Edward Grene, of Bury St Edmunds, and had by her nine sons and two daughters.
He espoused secondly, Alice, daughter of Simon Bradock, of Horam, Suffolk, and had issue by her, FRANCIS, Henry, Thomas, and Martha.
FRANCIS LUCAS, of Hollinger, near Bury St Edmunds, married Anne, daughter of _____ Munings, of Monk's Ely, Suffolk, and had a son,
FRANCIS LUCAS, of Elmsett and Grunsborrow, Suffolk, who wedded Matilda, daughter of Thomas Munings, of Monk's Ely, and had two sons,
Thomas, of Colchester;The younger son,
FRANCIS, of whom hereafter.
FRANCIS LUCAS, Cornet in the army, the first of Castle Shane, whose will was proved in 1657, wedded Mary Poyntz, and had issue,
FRANCIS;Mr Lucas was succeeded by his eldest son,
FRANCIS LUCAS (1646-1705), of Castle Shane, High Sheriff, 1673, and had issue, by Mary his wife, three sons and three daughters, namely,
FRANCIS, his heir;The eldest son,
EDWARD, successor to his brother;
Anne; Lucy; Jane.
FRANCIS LUCAS, of Castle Shane, High Sheriff, 1703, MP for the borough of Monaghan, 1713-46, died unmarried in 1746, and was succeeded by his brother,
EDWARD LUCAS, of Castle Shane, High Sheriff, 1709, who married firstly, in 1696, Elizabeth, daughter of Thomas Smyth, of Drumcree, County Westmeath; and secondly, in 1723, Abigail, widow of the Rev William Brooke, and daughter of Thomas Handcock, of Twyford, County Westmeath.
By the former he had issue,
THOMAS, predeceased his son EDWARD;Mr Lucas died in 1756, and was succeeded by his grandson,
Mary; Anne; Jane.
EDWARD LUCAS (1720-71), of Castle Shane, MP for Monaghan, 1761-75, High Sheriff, 1752, who wedded Elizabeth, daughter of Francis Savage, of Ardkeen, and had issue,
Francis, dsp;The eldest surviving son,
CHARLES, of whom presently;
Robert, Lt-Col in the army;
Mary; Alice; Abigail; Elizabeth; Hester.
CHARLES LUCAS (1757-96), of Castle Shane, High Sheriff, 1795, Barrister, wedded firstly, in 1786, Sarah, daughter of Sir James Hamilton, Knight, of Monaghan; and secondly, Louisa, daughter of Charles Avatt, of Mount Louise.
By the former he left at his decease an only child and successor,
THE RT HON EDWARD LUCAS JP DL (1787-1871). of Castle Shane, High Sheriff, 1818, MP for County Monaghan, 1834-41, Privy Counsellor, 1845, who espoused, in 1812, Anne, second daughter of William Ruxton, of Ardee House, County Louth, MP for Ardee, and had issue,
Francis, died unmarried 1846;Mr Lucas was succeeded by his son,
EDWARD WILLIAM, his heir;
Fitzherbert Dacre, father of EDWARD SCUDAMORE;
Catherine Anne; Anna Isabella; Isabella Florinda.
EDWARD WILLIAM LUCAS JP DL (1819-74), of Castle Shane, Lieutenant, 88th Regiment, who was succeeded by his nephew,
EDWARD SCUDAMORE LUCAS-SCUDAMORE JP DL (1853-1917), of Castle Shane, and of Kentchurch Court, Hereford, High Sheriff of Monaghan, 1879, Honorary Colonel, 4th Battalion, The King's Shropshire Light Infantry.
He assumed by royal licence, in 1900, the additional surname and arms of SCUDAMORE.
Mr Lucas-Scudamore espoused, in 1900, Sybil Frances, youngest daughter of Colonel George Webber CB, and had issue,
JOHN HARFORD STANHOPE;
Geraldine Clara, b 1903.
Druminargle House, Scarva, County Armagh, was the most valorous member of the Lucas family.
Druminargle is now a guest-house.
CASTLE SHANE HOUSE, near the village of Castleshane, County Monaghan, replaced an earlier dwelling.
The original house on the site was constructed in 1591.
The Elizabethan or Jacobean style house was built in 1836 for the Lucas family.
Castle Shane comprised a four-storey tower with corner bartizans and a main three-storey block.
The house had three centre bays with three-sided bays to each side with mullioned windows, curvilinear gables and tall Tudor chimneys.
The house was burnt in 1920 and all that remains is part of a three-storey bay window and gable end, the rest having been demolished.
There is also a much extended gate lodge and an unusual bellcote in the walled garden.
The former demesne is now mainly gone and belongs mostly to the Irish forestry commission.
First published in October, 2012.