Saturday 16 August 2014

BBC Concert

Ulster Hall

I motored into Belfast at about five-thirty yesterday, endeavouring to get into the right lane - or avoid so-called bus lanes - for Howard Street.

Last week I found a space on Brunswick Street, right outside Deane's; and yesterday the same space awaited me.

How remarkable.

Howard Street restaurant is a hop and a skip from here. In fact, it's opposite the Presbyterian Assembly building.

I enjoyed a really good meal at Howard Street, comprising Stilton Fritters, Pork Belly, and Rhubarb crème brûlée. Three courses cost £19.95.

Having detached the ancient nose-bag an hour or so later, I strode briskly onwards, along Brunswick Street, taking a sharp left turn at James Street South, emerging at Bedford Street and the august Ulster Hall.

This Victorian edifice looks particularly impressive at night, though my photograph has not done justice to the lovely colour-scheme.

Last night's concert was for BBC Radio 3. It comprised works by Sibelius and Nielsen.

Sharon Bezaly and Esa Heikkilä

The conductor was Esa Heikkilä and the soloist was the celebrated flautist - with her golden flute - Sharon Bezaly.



Our Ulster Orchestra performed excellently as usual. I particularly enjoyed the final piece, The Wood Nymph, by Sibelius.

No comments :