JOHN WOODS, of Yorkshire ancestry, who went to Ireland on military service at the time of the Revolution, married Isabella Bruce, a lady of Scottish origin, and had a son,
THOMAS WOODS, of Kilmeage, County Kildare, who wedded Margaret O'Hara; and dying in 1745, left a daughter, Araminta, and a son,
GEORGE WOODS, of Dunshaughlin, County Meath, and of the city of Dublin, who espoused, in 1737, Mary, daughter and co-heiress of John Hogan, of County Dublin (by Isabella his wife, daughter of Cornelius Hamlin), and by her had issue,
JOHN, his successor;Mr George Woods died in 1781, and was succeeded by his eldest son,
Catherine; Maria Isabella;
Hester; Elizabeth; Harriet.
JOHN WOODS (1738-1826), of Winter Lodge, County Dublin, who wedded, in 1783, Hannah, eldest surviving daughter and co-heiress of Joshua Warren, of Galtrim, County Meath, and by her had issue,
GEORGE, his heir;Mr Woods was succeeded by his only son,
GEORGE WOODS JP (1786-1876), of Milverton Hall, County Dublin, High Sheriff, 1822, who married, in 1812, Sarah, eldest daughter of Hans Hamilton, of Abbotstown, County Dublin ( MP for that county for thirty years), and by her had issue,
John (1813-19);Mr Woods was succeeded by his only surviving son,
HANS HAMILTON, of whom hereafter;
Sarah Jane, m to G A Rochfort-Boyd, of Middleton Park;
Hannah Maria; Frances Sophia; Jane Law.
HANS HAMILTON WOODS JP DL (1814-79), of Whitestown House, and Milverton Hall, County Dublin, High Sheriff of Dublin, 1854, who wedded, in 1840, Louisa Catherine, third daughter of the Hon and Rev Edward Taylor, of Ardgillan Castle, County Dublin, by his wife Marianne, eldest daughter of the Hon Richard St Leger, son of 1st Viscount Doneraile, and had issue,
George John (1842-85);Mr Woods was succeeded by his second son,
EDWARD HAMILTON, of whom hereafter;
Warren St Leger;
Hans Charles Maunsell;
Marianne Sarah; Louisa Harriet.
EDWARD HAMILTON WOODS JP DL (1847-1910), High Sheriff of Dublin, 1883, late lieutenant, Royal Meath Militia, who espoused, in 1879, Katherine Margaret, fourth daughter of Captain Richard Everard, of Randlestown, County Meath, by his wife, Mathilde Arabella, daughter of Le Marquis d'Amboise, and had issue,
EDWARD GEORGE, his heir;Mr Woods was succeeded by his eldest son,
Arthur Hans Hamilton (1881-2);
Reginald Everard (1883-96);
Kathleen May Ethel;
Violet Amy; Eileen Sylvia.
EDWARD GEORGE WOODS (1880-1954), of Milverton Hall, captain, 8th Hussars, served in South African War, 1900-02.
The entrance front had three centre bays recessed between one-bay projections; a deep, single-storey, balustraded Doric portico; five-bay side elevation.
Edward George Woods brought forward plans to rebuild the Hall and decided to knock the old house and build a new one on the site.
The new Italianate Milverton Hall was built in two years, to the designs of the architect, Rawson Carroll, and cost over £16,000.
A very impressive house was built and the Woods family continued to live there until the 1950s.
The Wentges family then came to Milverton through marriage, and they have managed the estate for the past 40 years.
The Wentges built a modern dwelling in the 1960s.
When Edward Woods died, death duties ensued with a tax bill.
Robert and Rosemary Wentges were faced with difficult times and decisions; and, in the interests of saving the estate, they knocked down the old house in 1961, building the present home on the same site.
From then on the family, including Michael Wentges, have expended considerable effort in maintaining the demesne, planting twelve acres of woodland and forming a new lake for a wildlife habitat.
The planting began in 1961 and has carried on in such idyllic locations as Shady lane Wood, Foxes Hole Wood, Sophie’s Wood, Grange, Rosemary’s Wood, Balcunnin, Hill of Ardla and Hannah’s Wood.
The present family attachment at Milverton spans three centuries, a quite remarkable feat when one considers the likes of the estates at Ardgillan and Newbridge House, as well as Malahide, which have long since been taken over by local councils.
However, the very nature of the people behind Milverton suggests that their love of the place will never die and their hold on it will always remain in some form.
This estate has been maintained and managed very well by all the owners. Over the years thousands of trees have been planted.
There are three small lakes on the land, wetlands, wildlife habitats and an equestrian centre.
Part of the farm at Ardla has been given over to the local council and a new graveyard developed there to supplement the ancient Holmpatrick cemetery.
The present demesne comprises some 437 acres, and there has been a planning proposal to develop two golf courses, a golf club house, tennis academy, putting and practice ranges, a hotel comprising 250 bedroom and suites; and 50 houses.
As of today, Milverton demesne retains many of the features of an old demesne landscape: gate lodges at entry points, mature trees as shelter belts, woodland belts within the demesne to act as cover and shelter, a historic core containing ornamental tree species which suggests the remains of ornamental gardens.
In addition, the site included the remains of an early church site and graveyard, which are listed as a recorded monument.
Together with the adjoining Ardgillan Demesne, Milverton and its woodland forms a substantial block of mature trees when viewed from Skerries and the coast.
First published in August, 2012.