The direct ancestor of this family was SIR ROBERT BAGOD, born in 1213, Chief Justice of the Irish Common Pleas, 1274, who obtained a grant of the manor of The Rath, near Dublin (known today as Baggotrath; and also the lands of Baggotstown in County Limerick.
Sir Robert died after 1298.
His lineal descendant,
EDWARD BAGOT (1620-1711), of Harristown, King's County, and Walterstown, County Kildare, was a Royal Commissioner for King's County, 1663, and High Sheriff of Kildare, 1677, and King's County, 1680.
He married, in 1659, Catherine, daughter of William Colborne, of Great Connell, County Kildare; and died in 1711, aged 90, leaving
MILO, his heir;The eldest son,
COLONEL MILO BAGOT (1660-1730), of Ard, Newtown, and Kilcoursey, wedded, in 1700, Margaret, daughter of Edmond and sister of Colonel Andrew Armstrong, of Mauricetown, County Kildare, and had issue,
JOHN, his heir;The eldest son,
Charles, ancestor of BAGOT of Kilcoursey;
JOHN BAGOT (1702-60), of Ard, King's County, espoused, in 1728, Mary Herbert, of Durrow Abbey, King's County, and had issue,
Milo, dsp;The fourth son,
JOHN LLOYD, of whom hereafter;
JOHN LLOYD BAGOT, of Ard and Ballymoe, Captain in the 37th Foot, and ADC to Lord Cornwallis during the American war, wedded, in 1775, Catherine Anne, daughter of Michael Cuffe, of Ballymoe, a descendent of James, Lord Tyrawley, and of Elizabeth Cuffe, alias Pakenham, created Countess of Longford.
He died in 1718, leaving issue,
John Cuffe, dsp;He was succeeded by his third son,
THOMAS NEVILLE, of whom we treat;
Cordelia; Louisa; Maria.
THOMAS NEVILLE BAGOT (1784-1863), of Ard and Ballymoe, who espoused, in 1811, Ellen, daughter of John Fallon, of County Roscommon, and had issue,
JOHN LLOYD NEVILLE BAGOT, his heir;The eldest son,
Christopher Neville, of Aughrane Castle;
Letitia Mary; Ellen; Catherine.
JOHN LLOYD NEVILLE-BAGOT JP (1814-90), of Ballymoe, married, in 1843, Anne Georgina, daughter of Edward Henry Kirwan, of Ballyturin Castle, County Galway, and had issue,
EDWARD THOMAS LLOYD, his heir;Mr Neville-Bagot was succeeded by his eldest son,
Edward Henry Kirwan;
John Christopher, of Ballyturin House;
Charles Henry, of Curraghmore;
Anna Isabella; Ellen Georgina.
EDWARD THOMAS LLOYD NEVILLE-BAGOT (1848-90), of Ballymoe and Aughrane, County Galway, who married, in 1876, Ellen, daughter of Francis Meagher, of Ballinderry, County Tipperary, and had issue, an only child,
MILO VICTOR NEVILLE-BAGOT (1880-), of Ballymoe and Aughrane, and Turin, Italy, who married, in 1908, Maria, only daughter of Signor Boccacio, of Turin, Italy, in a childless marriage.
|Photo credit: Dr Patrick Melvin & Eamonn de Burca|
AUGHRANE CASTLE (or Castle Kelly), near Ballygar, County Galway, was a castellated house of 19th century appearance.
It had small bartizans at the corners; plain windows with hood mouldings; and a simple, battlemented porch.
There was a gabled range at one end; a gabled tower behind.
It is said that the Bagot family played a very passive role in the life of the area, other than to collect rents due.
Christopher Bagot spent very little time on the estate and left the management to his two brothers, Charlie and John.
Christopher Bagot bought a house in a fashionable part of London, and entertained fairly lavishly.
Through these parties he came to know a young society lady of great charm and beauty called Alice Verner.
Within a short time they were married – believed to be in 1874.
In due course a son was born to them.
Mrs Christopher Bagot continued to have a high life and relations between herself and her husband soon became strained.
They returned to Castle Kelly in 1876, and some time later he banished her and their young son from his home.
He subsequently drew up a will leaving his entire estate to his brother, John Bagot.
His health failed rapidly and he died in 1877.
Mrs Bagot contested the last will made by her husband, and a much-publicised trial ensued at the Probate Court in Dublin.
The trial lasted for a month, and the court found in favour of Mrs Bagot and her son.
The Court administered the estate on their behalf until the young heir came of age.
The entire estate was offered for sale in 1903.
The Irish Land Commission was the purchaser, and later the Irish Forestry Commission acquired Castle Kelly and the 1,600 acres surrounding it.
The house was demolished in 1919.
First published in March, 2013.