The branch, of which the BARONS GARVAGH are members, removed into Ulster in the reign of ELIZABETH I, when
GEORGE CANNING (a military officer, it was presumed), youngest son of Richard Canning, of Foxcote, was an agent of the Ironmongers' Company of London.
This George died ca 1646, and was succeeded by his eldest son,
WILLIAM CANNING, of Garvagh, to whom succeeded his son,
GEORGE CANNING, of Garvagh, who was succeeded by his son,
GEORGE CANNING (-1711), of Garvagh, Lieutenant-Colonel of the Londonderry Militia, who married Abilgail Stratford, aunt of John, 1st Earl of Aldborough, by whom he left an only son,
STRATFORD CANNING (1703-75), of Garvagh, who married Letitia, daughter and heir of Obadiah Newburgh, of County Cavan, by whom he had issue,
GEORGE, father of RT HON GEORGE CANNING;Mr Canning was succeeded by his second son,
PAUL, who succeeded at Garvagh;
Stratford, a London merchant; father of STRATFORD CANNING;
Mary; Jane Elizabeth; Frances; Letitia.
PAUL CANNING (c1736-1784), of Garvagh, who espoused, in 1776, Jane Charlotte, daughter of Conway Spencer, of County Antrim, by whom he had an only son,
GEORGE CANNING (1778-1840), first cousin of the Rt Hon George Canning, Prime Minister in 1827, who was elevated to the peerage, in 1818, by the title of BARON GARVAGH, of Garvagh, County Londonderry.
His lordship wedded, in 1803, Georgiana (d 1804), fourth daughter of Robert, 1st Marquess of Londonderry, by whom he had no issue.
He married secondly, in 1824, Rosabelle Charlotte Isabella, daughter of Henry Bonham MP, of Titness Park, Berkshire, by whom he had issue,
CHARLES HENRY SPENCER GEORGE, his successor;His lordship was succeeded by his eldest son,
Albert Stratford George;
CHARLES HENRY SPENCER GEORGE, 2nd Baron, JP, DL (1826-71), who wedded, in 1851, Cecelia Susannah, daughter of John Ruggles-Brise,
The heir apparent is the present holder's son, the Hon Stratford George Edward de Redcliffe Canning (b 1990).
- Charles Henry Spencer George Canning, 2nd Baron (1826-71);
- Charles John Spencer George Canning, 3rd Baron (1852–1915);
- Leopold Ernest Stratford George Canning, 4th Baron (1878–1956);
- (Alexander Leopold Ivor) George Canning, 5th Baron (1920-2013);
- Spencer George Stratford de Redcliffe Canning, 6th Baron (b 1953).
|© Garvagh House, The Sam Henry Collection, courtesy of the Craig Family|
GARVAGH HOUSE is claimed to have been first built in the early 17th century and enlarged twice since then.
There was a long enfilade of reception rooms, one having a modillion cornice and a Georgian bow; another with a broken pediment of a 19th century appearance over its door-case.
|Garvagh arms at porch|
The house had fallen into disrepair over the years, suffering from wet and dry rot, and vermin infestation.
County Londonderry Education Committee decided to demolish Garvagh House and to build a new primary school on its site.
This was duly done and Garvagh Primary School opened in 1965.
The village of Garvagh is unique in that, unlike other villages in the county, it was not developed by the Irish Society, nor was it an ancient settlement.
It is, in fact, a private plantation; that is, a town set up over a period of nearly 300 years and developed by the local Lords of the Manor, the Cannings.
The family association with the Garvagh area began in 1615 when George Canning, of Foxcote in Warwickshire, was appointed the Agent for the Ironmongers' Company of London, a company actively involved in JAMES I's Plantation of Ulster.
To begin with, the townland of Garvagh was not part of the Ulster Plantation, as it had been granted to Manus O'Cahan, the local Irish chief, as a native freehold. After the Great Irish Rebellion of 1641 the situation changed, when O'Cahan joined forces with Sir Phelim Roe O'Neill in the insurrection and, as a result, he lost the freehold.
In 1649, one of George Canning's sons, Paul Canning, acquired the townland of Garvagh and began to develop it, by first building St Paul's parish church, which initially was intended as a private chapel for him and his family.
The Canning family continued to play an active part in the development of Garvagh until 1920 when they sold the estate and moved to England, exactly three centuries after they had established the first village.
The Garvagh Estate formerly extended to 8,427 acres.
Garvagh lies between Coleraine and Maghera. There is a museum and heritage centre in the village.
Covering over 550 acres, Garvagh Forest is situated on the Western outskirts of the village, with trees from over 80 years old to those only planted at the turn of the century.
The final unusual habitat in Garvagh Forest is the Garvagh Pyramid, created as a burial chamber for Lord Garvagh in the 19th Century.
Unfortunately the pyramid was never allowed to fulfil the task it was designed for and was sealed shut, with no incumbent, a number of years ago.
First published in February, 2010.