Friday, 5 February 2021

1st Baron Penrhyn

THE BARONS PENRHYN WERE THE LARGEST LANDOWNERS IN CARNARVONSHIRE, WITH
41,348 ACRES


The family of PENNANT derives its descent from TUDOR TREVOR, Lord of Hereford and Whittington, founder of the tribe of The Marches.

JOHN PENNANT, merchant, of Liverpool, the immediate ancestor of the Pennants, of Pennryn Castle, was second son of Edward Pennant, of Clarendon, in Jamaica, chief justice of that island, by Elizabeth his wife, daughter of Colonel John Moore, and grandson of Gifford Pennant, a military officer who went to Jamaica, and who was second son of Henry Pennant, of Holywell and Bagillt.

This John Pennant married Bonella, daughter of Joseph Hodges, of Jamaica, and had issue, two sons,
John, dsp;
RICHARD, of whom hereafter.
The younger son,

RICHARD PENNANT MP (1737-1808) was elevated to the peerage of Ireland, in 1783, in the dignity of BARON PENRHYN, of the Kingdom of Ireland.

He married Anne Susannah, daughter and heir of General Hugh Warburton, but dsp in 1808, when he was succeeded by his cousin,

GEORGE HAY DAWKINS-PENNANT MP (1763-1840), of Penrhyn Castle, Carnarvonshire, who married Sophia Maria, daughter of Cornwallis, 1st Viscount Haywarden, and had issue,
JULIANA ISABELLA MARY, of whom presently;
Emma Elizabeth Alicia.
The elder daughter,

JULIANA ISABELLA MARY DAWKINS-PENNANT, of Penrhyn Castle, wedded, in 1833, EDWARD GORDON DOUGLAS-PENNANT MP, and had issue,
GEORGE SHOLTO GORDON, his heir;
Archibald Charles Henry;
Eleanor Frances Susan; Caroline Elizabeth Emma; Emma S.
Colonel Douglas-Pennant, MP for Carnarvonshire, 1841-66, Lord-Lieutenant of Carnarvonshire, 1866-86, was elevated to the peerage, in 1866, in the dignity of BARON PENRHYN (2nd creation), of Llandegai, Carnarvonshire.

His lordship was succeeded by the eldest son,

GEORGE SHOLTO GORDON, 2nd Baron (1836-1907), JP DL.

The heir apparent is the present holder's son, the Hon. Edward Sholto Douglas-Pennant (b 1966).

Penrhyn Castle (Image: North Wales Holiday Cottages)

PENRHYN CASTLE, near Bangor, Carnarvonshire, was built by the architect Thomas Hopper, also known for the design of Gosford Castle in County Armagh.

Hopper also supervised the designing and making of furniture, carpets and decorative objects for the castle, all in the Neo-Norman style.

Featuring fantastical beasts, faces and patterns, the furnishings drew on the skills of local craftsmen, with furniture created in oak, ebony, marble and even in slate from Penrhyn quarry.

In 1840, with the mansion completed, George Hay Dawkins-Pennant died.

His daughter, Juliana, inherited Penrhyn, and her husband, Edward Gordon Douglas adopted the name Pennant and later became 1st Baron Penrhyn.

In 1949, after the death of the 4th Baron, the land and title separated, and the land was inherited by the 4th Baron's niece, the Lady Janet Harper.

Two years later, Penrhyn Castle, along with the Ysbyty Ifan and Carneddau estates, came under the care of the National Trust.

Former Town House ~ Mortimer House, Halkin Street, Belgrave Square.

No comments :