Thursday 4 January 2018

Tiptree Tomato Ketchup

I've been fond of tomato ketchup since I was a lad in short trousers.

Forty years ago there was little choice other than the famous Heinz variety.

I remain unenthusiastic about the Heinz ketchup, one factor being its viscosity.

In comparison with Tiptree ketchup it's quite thin.

The percentage of tomatoes in Tiptree ketchup probably remains at 75%.

I must have consumed unimaginable amounts of the stuff over the decades.

The peculiar thing is that, when I was ten years old, I enjoyed corned-beef sandwiches with salad-cream; whereas my pal, John, insisted on ketchup!

Tiptree Tomato Ketchup by Wilkin and Sons is the best, to my mind.

I really ought to be a shareholder in the company, given the amount of their ketchup I consume.

The first Tiptree conserves were made in 1885 on the Tiptree estate in Essex and are still made there to this day.

Fruit crops include strawberries, loganberries, mulberries and damsons, to name but a few.

The signature fruit is the Little Scarlet strawberry, a tiny wild variety, originally brought to the United Kingdom by the Wilkin family in the early 1900s.

It is believed that they are unique in the world in growing this difficult crop.

Wilkin's received their first Royal Warrant from GEORGE V in 1911 and remain Royal Warrant-holders to this day, as purveyors of Tiptree products to Her Majesty The Queen.

Their products are available in over seventy countries, on luxury cruise-liners, in de-luxe hotels and on leading airlines.

First published in October, 2009.

4 comments :

Sandy said...

A couple of years ago Heinz produced an organic tomato ketchup which had a green top, I think. It was delicious.
It has mysteriously disappeared from the shelves.

belfast cabby said...

I agree with sandy the Heinz organic was simply lovely, i don't even like ketchup!

Sine Nomine said...

I am often bemused by the raft of 'foreign' words that have entered our day to day language over the years. Take the post in question; 'ketchup', that word means absolutely nothing in the English language. What is wrong with the more straight forward 'tomato sauce'? While we are on the subject of food perhaps His Lordship may offer insight as to why even the most refined eating establishments now universally refer to 'dessert' on a menu rather than 'pudding'?

Timothy Belmont said...

Sine Nomine, I tend to agree with you.

I generally still refer to pudding myself, if it's any consolation!

Whatever happened to received pronunciation? Verbs like Distribute and Contribute are pronounced CONtribute and DIStribute instead of the usual British English conTRIBute and so on.

Tim.