Sunday 8 March 2009

John Dory's: Still Great

I'd intended going to see a movie in Belfast last night. I even considered having a meal as well. Victoria Square came to mind; parking at Gloucester Street and walking a few minutes to the complex. The Odyssey Pavilion also came to mind; though there's not the same choice of restaurants at the Odyssey as at Victoria Square. The Film? The Young Victoria. Anything with Julian Fellowes' involvement must be good (Brideshead Revisited comes to mind).

In the event, I couldn't be bothered! The weather was dreary last night, so I battened down the hatches. Not before jumping into the two-seater and motoring over to the preferred fish-and-chip emporium, John Dory's.

Dory's remains a force to be reckoned with, in the heady world of cod-fish and fried spuds. They continue to give their rivals a good battering (forgive the floury language please). I tried a new fish-and-chip shop several weeks ago; however, I'm pleased to say, Dory's remain as principal purveyors of traditional fish suppers to the Belmont household (and possibly the Earldom itself).

They run a professional, well-oiled and sedulous operation; consistent standards, too, in my experience. Last night the chips, in particular, had real flavour. Sometimes chips can be tasteless; not this variety. The onion rings were freshly prepared, very large and, again, using real onion slices with a golden batter. It was a generous portion for £1.70.

So I whacked the stuff in the boot and whizzed back to put the old feet up, figuratively speaking.

No comments :