Tuesday 3 March 2009

Car Tax Snag


I was inadvertently ensnared by the Chancellor of the Exchequer last year. I had just remitted my annual road tax payment to Vehicle Licensing in the middle of March; and, a week or so later, they returned it, informing me that I had sent the wrong amount.

As it happens, I sent them the amount they asked for on their form. However, since the 2008 Budget fell around that time, the Duty increased. Presumably they go through this rigmarole every year with innocent motorists, do they?

I shan't be caught out this year because the 2009 Budget falls on the 22nd April. If your Car Tax falls on this month, why not take the forms - in person - directly to a payment office. Don't post it to them around the middle of April unless you are prepared to have your form returned and they demand the new 2009 rate!

The Treasury knows which month the annual Budget will occur. Should Vehicle Licensing not forewarn drivers with an explanatory note; especially if the Budget falls in March or April?

No comments :