This is a branch of the ancient family of HEYGATE, seated in the counties of Essex and Suffolk.
THOMAS HEYGATE, of Hayes, in Middlesex,
Provost-Marshal-General of the army in 1557 which, in alliance with the Spaniards, besieged St Quentin (held by the French), and subsequently Provost-Marshal in Scotland.He married Elizabeth, daughter of Thomas Stonor, of Stonor; and dying in 1576, was succeeded by his eldest son,
THOMAS HEYGATE, of Hayes, a Justice of the Peace for Middlesex, and Provost-Marshal-General under the Earl of Essex, at the capture of Cadiz, in 1596.
This gentleman wedded Margery, daughter of Ralph Skipwith, of Parkbury, Hertfordshire, and had surviving issue,
Thomas, of Hayes, barrister-at-law;The second son,
RALPH, of whom presently;
Katherine, m R Tyrwhitt, master of the buck-hounds to CHARLES I;
Letitia, m Dr P Heylin, prebendary of Westminster.
RALPH HEYGATE, settled in London, and married twice; but had issue by his second wife (Anne, daughter of Nicholas Spicer, of the city of Exeter) only.
His elder son,
NICHOLAS HEYGATE, who was one of the court of Assistants of Merchant Taylors' Company, and a collector of curious books and writings, espoused Elizabeth, daughter of Thomas Cotton, of Loughton, and granddaughter of Edward Shuckburgh, of Naseby, Northamptonshire, by whom he had an only surviving child,
ROBERT HEYGATE, of Husband's Bosworth, Leicestershire, who wedded Anne, daughter of John Freeman, and left at his decease, in 1736, an only surviving son,
NICHOLAS HEYGATE, of West Haddon, Northamptonshire, born in 1705.
This gentleman espoused Mary, daughter of John Cooke, of Hill Morton, Warwickshire, and had issue,
THOMAS, of Husband's Bosworth, father of THOMAS;Mr Heygate's youngest son,
JAMES, father of WILLIAM, created a baronet.
JAMES HEYGATE, of Hackney, Middlesex, and Southend, Essex, born in 1747, a banker, married and left issue, his eldest son,
WILLIAM HEYGATE (1782-1844), of Chatham Place, Blackfriars, London, and Holwood, Kent, who married, in 1821, Isabella, fourth daughter of Edward Longdon Mackmurdo, of Upper Clapton, Middlesex, and had issue,
FREDERICK WILLIAM, his successor;This gentleman was created a baronet in 1831.
Robert Henry John.
Sir William held the office of Alderman of London; Lord Mayor of London, 1822; MP for Sudbury.
He was a partner in the banking firm of Pares and Heygate, Aldermanbury.
Sir William was succeeded by his eldest son,
SIR FREDERICK WILLIAM HEYGATE DL (1822-94), 2nd Baronet.
Sir Frederick was baptized at the Mansion House during the mayoralty of his father and in the presence of HRH The Duke of York, who stood sponsor, and at whose wish the baronetcy was conferred.
He married Marianne Gage in 1851, thus acquiring the estate of Bellarena, County Londonderry.
He was MP for County Londonderry from 1859-74.
His eldest son,
SIR FREDERICK GAGE HEYGATE JP DL (1854-1940), 3rd Baronet, of Bellarena, married Flora, daughter of John Walter, in 1888;
Major, Mid-Ulster Artillery; barrister; DL, County Londonderry; Justice of the Peace; Parliamentary Under-Secretary to the Lord Lieutenant of Ireland, Lord Londonderry, 1887-88.His cousin,
SIR JOHN EDWARD NOURSE HEYGATE, 4th Baronet (1903-76), of Bellarena, married firstly, in 1930, the Hon Evelyn Florence Margaret Winifred Gardner, daughter of Herbert, 1st Baron Burghclere of Walden; and secondly, in 1936, Gwyneth Eliot, daughter of John Eliot Howard Lloyd; and thirdly, in 1951, Dora Luz, daughter of John Harvey.
He is chiefly remembered for his liaison in 1929 with Evelyn Gardner while she was married to Evelyn Waugh.
Heygate and Gardner subsequently married, then divorced.
He is portrayed as "John Beaver" in Waugh's A Handful of Dust.
By the 1970s, the 4th Baronet was living alone in Bellarena when, in 1976, he shot himself.
Sir George Lloyd Heygate was the 5th Baronet (1936-91).
Sir Richard John Gage Heygate (b 1940) is the 6th and present Baronet.
It is thought that the Heygate family lives in London today.
Photo credit: Brian McElherron
The land was settled in the mid-17th century by a Northamptonshire gentleman, William Gage, who bought the lease of the estate - then called Ballymargy - from the Lord Bishop of Derry.
It was named Bellarena - the beautiful strand - in the later 18th century by the Earl Bishop.
Marcus McCausland, of Drenagh, son of Bellarena's heiress, assumed the surname Gage and added to the house in 1797.
His son, Conolly Gage, created the present library and managed to fit in a third storey at the rear of the house in 1822.
In the 1830s, Sir Charles Lanyon was employed to redecorate Bellarena, re-model the hall and add the porch.
Seemingly there was a degree of rivalry between cousins and in-laws at Bellarena and Drenagh!
A final extension was made by Conolly and Henrietta Gage's daughter, Marianne, who married Sir Frederick Heygate, 2nd Baronet, in 1851.
Bellarena House has a two-storey, five-bay entrance front faced in dark-coloured basalt; a notably wide Venetian window in the centre of the upper storey, which rises into a baseless, floating pediment.
Below this window is Lanyon's semi-circular porch, fronted by a pair of Ionic columns either side of the doorway.
On one side of the entrance front there is a wing, set back. The rear of the main block consists of four bays, all having Wyatt windows in both storeys.
The hall contains a double staircase with cast-iron balusters, which rise between two Corinthian columns, painted to resemble marble.
The drawing-room ceiling has elaborate plasterwork, remarkably similar to that of Drenagh House.
The most noteworthy room in the house is probably the library of 1822 (below), a tall, spacious room with a coved ceiling, surrounded on three sides by a gallery with a balustrade of exquisite ironwork.
To the rear of the house there is a commodious, cobbled office courtyard, with a central pond and fountain; while the impressive stable block boasts a spire and pediment.
Beyond the courtyard is a complete range of early 19th century farm buildings.
The demesne was founded in the mid 17th century on flat ground on the River Roe.
The site is excellent, with fine views of Binevenagh.
There are lawns round the house and large mature shrubs with requisite shelter trees beyond, both around the house and as shelter belts for the fields.
Sampson, in the Statistical Survey of the County of Londonderry of 1802, noted that it had
‘… been well planted with variety of forest trees and shrubs; considering the lightness of the soil, which, for the most part, is sandy, these plantations succeed remarkably well’.The walled garden, which is pre-1830s, has been cleared of original planting for modern convenience.
The eastern end was formerly an orchard, with a gardener’s house at the north-east corner.
Glasshouses are gone. There is a roughly-built folly tower, or look-out, in a field to the north of the house, and an ice house.
There are three gate lodges, the oldest having been built in 1797.
In 1742, Conolly McCausland, of Drenagh, married Elizabeth, daughter of Thomas Gage, of Magilligan.
Conolly's son Marcus, under the terms of his mother's will, succeeded to the Bellarena estates and assumed the name of Gage in 1816; hence the proud name of Gage lived on at Bellarena.
Bellarena was acquired by the Heygate baronets when the 2nd Baronet, Sir Frederick, married Marianne Gage in 1851.
Sir John, 4th Baronet, was the last of the Heygates to live at Bellarena.
By the 1970s, he was living alone in the house and, alas, in 1976, he took his own life by shooting himself.
Bellarena is now the residence of Mr Denis Desmond, CBE, and his family.
First published in February, 2010.