This branch settled in Ulster at the time of the Plantation.
All the records of the family (originally Ogilvie) were destroyed by fire in Scotland in 1784.
The original residence was at Calhame, Aberdeenshire.
DR JOHN OGILVIE, of Aberdeen, who settled in Limavady, a great friend of the celebrated Bishop Burnet, married Elizabeth Agnew, of the Scottish family of that name, who settled in County Antrim.
He was succeeded by his son,
ALEXANDER OGILBY, who changed the spelling of the name from Ogilvie.
He married firstly, Ann Smith, and by her had issue,
ALEXANDER, his heir;
ALEXANDER OGILBY, who wedded Mary, eldest daughter of James Alexander, of Limavady (whose family came originally from the shire of Clackmannan in Scotland), by his wife Elizabeth Ross, and had issue,
JOHN, his heir;Mr Ogilby was succeeded by his eldest son,
Robert, of Pellipar;
Leslie, of Strangemore;
Ann; Elizabeth; Mary; Jane.
JOHN OGILBY, of Ardnargle, near Limavady, born in 1746, who married Jane, daughter of James Simpson, of Armagh, and had issue,
Alexander, dsp;Mr Ogilby was succeeded by his third son,
JAMES, his heir;
ROBERT LESLIE, of whom presently;
Ann; Jane; Mary.
JAMES OGILBY, of Ardnargle, who espoused Bridget Rush, and dsp 1849.
Mr Ogilby was succeeded by his brother,
ROBERT LESLIE OGILBY JP DL (1798-1872), of Ardnargle, High Sheriff, 1854, who married, in 1844, Elizabeth Matilda, daughter of Major William Henry Rainey, of the East India Company, and by her had issue,
ROBERT ALEXANDER, his heir;
John W H;
Margaret Harriet; Jane Ann;
Elizabeth; Mary Isabella.
ROBERT ALEXANDER OGILBY JP DL (1850-1902), of Ardnargle, and Pellipar House, Dungiven, High Sheriff, 1887; Captain, 4th King's Own Regiment; served in Zulu War.
Under the will of his great-uncle, Robert Ogilby, he succeeded on the death of his cousin, James Ogilby, to the Limavady, Pellipar, Tyrone and Woolwich estates.
Mr Ogilby married, in 1875, Helen Sarah, second daughter of the Rev George Bomford Wheeler, Rector of Ballysax, County Kildare, and had issue,
ROBERT JAMES LESLIE;Mr Ogilby was succeeded by his only son,
Ethel Maude; Mabel Norah;
Esther Gladys; Mildred Constance.
LIEUTENANT-COLONEL ROBERT JAMES LESLIE OGILBY DSO JP DL (1880-1964), of Ardnargle, Limavady, and Pellipar House, Dungiven, co. Londonderry.
Colonel Ogilby was a kinsman of both the Earl Alexander of Tunis and the Viscount Montgomery of Alamein, through the line of the Alexanders of Limavady.
He was also brother-in-law of Brigadier-General George Delamain Crocker.
Colonel Ogilby entered the Army as a 2nd lieutenant, 4th (Royal Irish) Dragoon Guards 1903-1905; a lieutenant, 2nd Life Guards; High Sheriff, 1911; 29 Aug 1914 joined the Special reserve Officers as lieutenant; 29 Feb 1915, captain (Royal Irish) Dragoon Guards; 1916, Major and 2nd in Command of the 7th Norfolk Regiment; 1916, lieutenant-colonel commanding 2/114 London Regiment (London Scottish). He served with the British Expeditionary Force (dispatches London Gazette); served 1916-1919 in the war; Belgian Croix de Guerre, Star, 1914; DSO and bar, 1917.The Woolwich estate was bought at public auction in 1812 by Robert Ogilby (younger brother of John Ogilby), who also leased, in 1803, the Skinners estate at Dungiven and lived at Pellipar House.
Ardnargle was not strictly, therefore, a dower house for Pellipar, although it was used as such when R A Ogilby (1850-1902) inherited both properties from 1885 onwards.
The Ogilby family has had a proud military tradition: Major Robert Alexander Ogilby married Sarah Wheeler, daughter of Rev George Bomford Wheeler, a founder of the Irish Times, TCD classic scholar and contributor to Dickens' magazine, "All Year Round"; a DL for County Londonderry; captain 4th King's Own Regiment; and took part in the Zulu war (1879, medal).In 1902, Maurice Marcus McCausland, of Drenagh, married Eileen Leslie, daughter of R A Ogilby DL, of Pellipar.
PELLIPAR HOUSE, near Dungiven, County Londonderry, was originally owned by the Skinners' Company, one of the livery companies of the city of London.
However, the Skinners did not run the estate.
Instead, they leased the estate to an undertaker (someone who undertook the responsibility of bringing English & Scottish people over to live in Ulster).
The undertaker had also to build a bawn and castle for the safety of the new planters, should they come under attack by the native Irish.
The first undertaker of Pellipar Estate was a gentleman called Sir Edward Doddington.
He built the bawn & castle on the site of Dungiven Old Priory.
Then, after Doddington & his wife, Lady Cooke leased Pellipar, a family of undertakers called the Careys took over the estate.
They moved from Skinners hall (on the site of the Old Priory) and built a castle nearer the town.
By this time all danger of attacks by the Irish had subsided and the Careys did not need to make their castle a bawn for protection and safety against the Irish.
Next, the Ogilby family leased Pellipar. During this time the estate fell into decline.
Their other seat was Ardnargle.
After the Ogilbys' lease expired, the Skinners Company moved in as direct landlords.
They were enraged with the mistreatment of their land and took the Ogilbys to court. Their case was unsuccessful.
They sold their estate and left Pellipar.
The last of the Ogibys, Lieutenant-Colonel Robert James Leslie Ogilby DSO JP DL, then owned Pellipar House and some land surrounding it.
The present demesne dates from the late 18th century. The house is from that date with many additions, the last major one in 1907.
The River Roe flows near the house. There are fine trees along the Derryware Burn and an avenue of beech and lime.
There is a small conservatory and a small modern ornamental garden at the house. There were six gate lodges pre-1830s, two of which survive, though one is ruinous.
First published in January, 2012. Photo credits: Bixentro.