Friday 27 July 2018

Guards Insignia


The cap badge of the Irish Guards and the bearskin plume are both based on the star and sky-blue sash colour of the Most Illustrious Order of St Patrick.

The Princess Royal is pictured presenting the Regiment with shamrock.

The badge consists of a star, within which is a shamrock with three crowns on its leaves (the historic kingdoms of England, Ireland and Scotland), the shamrock being placed on a cross of St Patrick.

The centre is surrounded by a circle which bears the legend QUIS SEPARABIT ~ who shall separate ~ and the Roman numerals MDCCLXXXIII ~1783 ~ the year that the Order of St Patrick was established.

First published in November, 2009.

5 comments :

Anonymous said...

Do you recall being given shamrocks to wear at BHS? It always struck me even then as a slightly idiosyncratic gesture, but I guess it reflected the nature of the school.
Cheers,
J

Timothy Belmont said...

Hello J,

Curiously enough, I don't; that said there were a few delightful idiosyncrasies at BHS!

Anonymous said...

I remember being both surprised and underwhelmed by the shamrocks - they looked like cress, and were wrapped in tinfoil. Pretty tricky to attach to the blazer too. I'm pretty sure this would have been when you were there, you were only a couple of years above me.
Cheers,
J

Christopher Bellew said...

There are more recent pictures of the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge presenting shamrock to the Irish Guards. Prince William, as I'm sure you know, is Colonel of the regiment.
Christopher

Timothy Belmont said...

Indeed Christpher,I really must update it. In the meantime I'll look for an appropriate image of the Cambridges.