This is a junior branch of the noble house of BROWNE, Barons Kilmaine, which is supposed to have sprung from a common ancestor with the extinct Brownes, Viscounts Montagu, in England.
WILLIAM BROWNE, of The Neale, County Mayo, was father of
RICHARD BROWNE, captain of an independent company in the reign of ELIZABETH I, and first High Sheriff of County Mayo.
This gentleman was succeeded by his son,
JOHN BROWNE, captain of an independant company, in the time of ELIZABETH I, and the first high sheriff of Mayo.
By his own account, he was "the first Englishman that in the memory of man settled himself to dwell in the county of Mayo."
Mr Browne married Anne, daughter of Nicholas Cardiffe; and dying in 1589, was succeeded by his only son,
JOSIAS BROWNE (c1579-1634), of The Neale, who was succeeded by his son,
JOHN BROWNE, who was created a baronet in 1632.
Sir John married Mary, daughter of Sir Dominick Browne, Knight, of Galway, by whom he had
George, his heir and ancestor of the Barons Kilmaine;Sir John's second son,
JOHN, of whom presently;
JOHN BROWNE, a colonel in King James's service, and one of the capitulators of Limerick, where (being originally bred a lawyer) he had a principal hand in drawing up the celebrated articles of capitulation.
By his second wife Maud, daughter of Theobald, 3rd Viscount Bourke, he had two sons and three daughters: Bridget, Lady Athenry; Elizabeth; and Elizabeth.
He died in 1705, and was succeeded by his elder son,
PETER BROWNE, who wedded Mary, daughter of the Rt Hon Denis Daly, one of the judges of the Court of Common Pleas in Ireland, and was succeeded by his son,
JOHN BROWNE (1709-76), MP for Castlebar, who was elevated to the peerage, in 1760, by the title of Baron Monteagle, of Westport, County Mayo.
Lord Monteagle was advanced to a viscountcy, as Viscount Westport, in 1768; and further advanced to the dignity of an earldom, as Earl of Altamont, in 1771.
He wedded, in 1729, Anne, daughter of Sir Arthur Gore Bt, and sister of Arthur, 1st Earl of Arran, and had issue,
PETER, his successor;The 1st Earl died in 1776, and was succeeded by his eldest son,
Arthur, colonel in the army;
PETER, 2nd Earl, who married, in 1752, Elizabeth, only daughter and heiress of Chief Justice Kelly, of the island of Jamaica, and had issue,
JOHN DENIS;His lordship was succeeded by his eldest son,
Denis, a privy counsellor;
Anne; Elizabeth; Charlotte.
JOHN DENIS, 3rd Earl, KP (1756-1809), who wedded, in 1787, the Lady Louisa Catharine Howe, youngest daughter and co-heiress of Admiral the Earl Howe, by whom he had an only son, HOWE PETER.
His lordship was created MARQUESS OF SLIGO, in 1800.
The 6th Marquess was the last Lord-Lieutenant of County Mayo, from 1914 until 1922.
The heir apparent is the present holder's son Christopher Ulick Browne, styled Earl of Altamont.
- John Denis Browne, 1st Marquess (1756–1809)
- Howe Peter Browne, 2nd Marquess (1788–1845)
- George John Browne, 3rd Marquess (1820–96)
- John Thomas Browne, 4th Marquess (1824–1903)
- Henry Ulick Browne, 5th Marquess (1831–1913)
- George Ulick Browne, 6th Marquess (1856–1935)
- Ulick John Browne, 7th Marquess (1898–1941)
- Arthur Howe Browne, 8th Marquess (1867–1951)
- Terence Morris Browne, 9th Marquess (1873–1952)
- Denis Edward Browne, 10th Marquess (1908–91)
- Jeremy Ulick Browne, 11th Marquess (1939–2014)
- Sebastian Ulick Browne, 12th Marquess (born 1964)
WESTPORT HOUSE, near Castebar, County Mayo, ancestral seat of the Marquesses of Sligo, is located west of the Shannon and is one of Ireland's most historic country houses open to the public.
It was designed by the famous architects Richard Cassels and James Wyatt in the 18th century.
The original house was built by Colonel John Browne, a Jacobite, who was at the siege of Limerick, and his wife Maud Bourke.
Among the pictures are portraits by Sir Joshua Reynolds of the 1st Earl of Altamont; the Rt Hon Denis Browne, brother of the 1st Marquess and a member of Grattan’s Parliament, by Beechy; Howe Peter, 2nd Marquess, who spent four months in jail for bribing seamen in time of war, to bring his ship, full of antiquities from Greece to Westport.
First published in June, 2011. Sligo arms courtesy of European Heraldry.