CHARLES MOORE JP MP (1804-69), son of Arthur Moore, of Crookedstone, County Antrim, by Mary O'Hara his wife, purchased Mooresfort, County Tipperary.
He married, in 1835, Marian Elizabeth, daughter of John Story, and had issue,
Charles Henry O'Hara, deceased;Mr Moore's second son,
ARTHUR JOHN, of Mooresfort;
Helena Blanche, a nun;
Laura Mary, m George A Vaughan, nephew of John, 3rd Earl of Lisburne.
COUNT ARTHUR JOHN MOORE JP DL MP (1849-1904), of Mooresfort,
MP for Clonmel, 1874-85; and for Londonderry, 1899-1900; High Sheriff, 1877; created a Count by HH Pope LEO XIII in 1879; Commander of the Order of St Gregory, and chamberlain to His Holiness.He wedded, in 1877, Mary Lucy, daughter of Sir Charles Clifford, 1st Baronet, of Hatherton Hall, Staffordshire, by whom he had issue,
Arthur Joseph Clifford, 1878-1900;Count Moore's younger son,
CHARLES JOSEPH HENRY O'HARA, his heir;
CHARLES JOSEPH HENRY O'HARA MOORE MC JP (1880-1965), of Mooresfort, and of Aherlow Castle, married, in 1917, Lady Dorothie Mary Evelyn Feilding MM, daughter of 9th Earl of Denbigh.
He was awarded the Military Cross; Captain, the Irish Guards.
MOORESFORT HOUSE, near Lattin, County Tipperary, was built in 1725 as a three-storey structure.
The house was remodelled in the 1850s by Charles Moore MP, converting the house to a two-storey building in order to have higher rooms.
The Italianate remodelling of the house included the addition of an ornate portico and pediment to the front elevation and canted-bay windows flanked by classically influenced pilasters giving the building an overall Victorian character.
The decorative stained glass window is due to the addition of a chapel designed by George Ashlin also added about this time.
The house retains notable interior features including timber shutters and graceful plasterwork to the drawing room depicting musical instruments.
The extensive ranges of outbuildings adjoining the house are still used to serve a working farm, and contribute positively to the over all setting of the house.
AHERLOW CASTLE, near Bansha, County Tipperary, was also a seat of Arthur Moore MP.
This small castle stands in the Glen of Aherlow.
It has a polygonal tower with loops at one end; a square tower at the other.
Former town residences ~ 64 Prince's Gate, London; 10 Grafton Street, Dublin.
First published in August, 2013.