This family originally came from Dykebar in Renfrewshire.
JAMES CLARK (1747-1829), of Paisley, Renfrewshire, son of William Clark and Agnes Bryson, married Margaret, daughter of Andrew Campbell, in 1768.
His occupation was thread manufacturer.
This James started out in business as a heddle harness, heddle twine and lash twine manufacturer. He started making cotton thread in 1813 and, together with his son James (1782-1865), built a mill at Seedhill, Paisley, Renfrewshire.His younger son,
This mill was acquired in 1819 by his sons James and John, who formed J & J Clark, thread manufacturers, Paisley, Renfrewshire. Their father continued to run a separate business at Cotton Street and Thread Street, Paisley and died in 1829.
JAMES CLARK (1782-1865), of Chapel House, Paisley (below), married Agnes, daughter of James McFarlane, in 1830.
The eldest son,
JAMES CLARK (1831-1910), of Chapel House, married firstly, Jane, daughter of George Smith, in 1858; and secondly, Katherine, daughter of Major-General George King, in 1871.
Mr Clark was Provost of Paisley, 1882-85.
His second son,
GEORGE SMITH CLARK DL (1861-1935), wedded Frances Elizabeth, daughter of Henry Matier, in 1881.
He was educated at Merchiston Castle School, Edinburgh, and apprenticed to Harland & Wolff, Belfast.
In 1877, he opened his own shipyard on the River Lagan in association with Mr Frank Workman.
His uncle, George Smith, provided capital for this initial venture.
In 1891, the firm became Workman, Clark & Co. Ltd.
Charles Allan (a cousin of Clark's and a member of the Allan Line family) also joined the firm.
By 1902, the shipyard comprised fifty acres in extent.
Mr Clark was created a baronet in 1917.
DUNLAMBERT HOUSE, a large Victorian villa in north Belfast, was built for Sir George's father-in-law, Henry Matier. The architect was James Hamilton, of Glasgow.
The house and lodge were swept away for Dunlambert Secondary School.
The school was established in 1958, so the house must have been demolished ca 1956.
Dunlambert House was located off Fortwilliam Park (remains of the grand entrances built by George Langry, who owned the estate in the early 1800s, remain).
A picture from the Lawrence Collection provides an indication of the dwellings within the park, including the Clarks' gate lodge and drive (above).
More information about the career of the 1st Baronet is available here.
Sir George Ernest Clark DL (1882-1950), 2nd Baronet,
Graduated from Cambridge University with a MA; Member, Institute of Naval Architects; Commissioner of Irish Lights; Deputy Chairman, Great Northern Railway Company; Honorary Colonel, 3rd Searchlight Regiment, Royal Artillery (TA), 1939-46; High Sheriff of County Antrim, 1940; High Sheriff of County Down, 1941.Sir George Anthony Clark DL (1914-91), 3rd Baronet,
Educated at Canford; MP for Belfast Dock, 1938-45; captain in the Black Watch; fought in the 2nd World War; Senator in the Stormont Parliament, 1951-69; Imperial Grand President of the Imperial Grand Orange Council of the World, 1958-61; High Sheriff of County Antrim, 1954.Sir George and Lady Clark lived at Tullygarvan House, near Ballygowan, County Down.
Sir Colin Douglas Clark MC (1918-95), 4th Baronet, who succeeded to the baronetcy as the 3rd Baronet's younger brother,
Educated at Eton; major, the Royal Engineers; fought in 2nd World War, where he was mentioned in despatches; graduated from Trinity College, Cambridge in 1939 with a MA; awarded a Military Cross (MC); managing director of G Heyn and Sons Ltd, Belfast; Director of Cladox Ltd, The Ulster Steamship Company Ltd, The North Continental Shipping Company Ltd, and the Mountain Steamship Company Ltd.Sir Jonathan George Clark (b 1947), 5th and present Baronet, was educated at Eton; captain in the Royal Green Jackets, 1966; retired from the Army in 1978; managing director of Paragon Homes Ltd in 1992.
In 2003 he lived in Cheshire.
First published in July, 2010.