Following the restoration of CHARLES II, Sir Thomas White, of Rickmansworth, settled in Ireland, where he purchased land debentures granted by CROMWELL to his army officers during the civil wars, and had a son,
SIMON, of whom we treat;Mr White was succeeded by his son,
SIMON WHITE, who married, in 1760, Frances Jane, daughter of Richard Hedges, of Mount Hedges, County Cork, and predeceased his father, leaving issue,
RICHARD;Mr White died in 1816, and was succeeded by his eldest son,
Helen; Martha; Frances.
This gentleman was presented with a gold medal by the city of Cork for his spirited exertions on the arrival of the French forces in Bantry Bay, in 1797.
He was consequently created Baron Bantry in 1797; and elevated to the dignity of Viscount Bantry, in 1800.
RICHARD, 2nd Earl;
WILLIAM HENRY HARE, 3rd Earl;
WILLIAM HENRY HARE, his successor;
Elizabeth Mary Gore; Olivia Charlotte;
Emily Anne; Ina Maude; Jane Frances Anna.
Many of the settlers became disenchanted with the lonely farming life and the lands granted to Lord Anglsey and his officers were bought by a member of the White family.
The bulk of the fleet arrived successfully, but several ships, including the flagship Fraternité carrying General Hoche were delayed.
Tone wrote of the expedition in his diary, saying that "We were close enough to toss a biscuit ashore".
Look-outs were posted on Both Mizen Head and Sheep's Head to send warning of an invasion.
The weather was too severe, and even ship to ship communication was too difficult. Ten ships were lost.
One of these vessels, the Surveillante, remained on the bottom of Bantry bay for almost 200 years.
A viscountcy followed in 1800 and, in 1816, he was created Viscount Berehaven and EARL OF BANTRY.
Lord Bantry was succeeded by his son, the 2nd Earl, who sat on the Conservative benches in the House of Lords from 1854-68.
It now comprises one hundred acres, mainly woodland.
In 1750, Councillor Richard White bought Blackrock from Samuel Hutchinson and changed its name to Seafield.
The main block of the mansion consists of a square, three-storey, five-bay house built about 1740 for the Hutchinson family.
A wing was added on one side later in the 18th century after the House was acquired by Richard White, being the same height as the original block, though only of two storeys with a curved bow at the front and rear; and a six-bay elevation at the side.
In 1845, Richard White,Viscount Berehaven and later the 2nd Earl, enlarged and remodelled Bantry House. He travelled extensively throughout Europe, building an enviable art collection.
The 2nd Earl added the long, fourteen-bay front at the opposite side of the original block to the late 18th century wing, comprising a six-bay centre of two storeys over a basement; and three-storey, four-bay bow-ended wings lined with huge Corinthian pilasters of red brick.
The House is entered through a glazed Corinthian colonnade, similar to the one on the garden front.
The Library, sixty feet long, has four scagliola columns which support the compartmented ceiling.
The Blue Dining-room (below) has life-sized portraits of GEORGE III and Queen Charlotte in sumptuous frames, presented to the 1st Earl by royal command.
The Aubusson tapestries were manufactured for Marie Antoinette following her marriage to the Dauphin, later LOUIS XVI.
Inspiration was taken from their travels across Europe.
The gardens contain seven terraces; the house is located on the third.
One hundred steps are located behind the house and are built to appear to rise out of a fountain and are surrounded by azaleas and rhododendron.
The gardens are constantly tended and maintained.