Tuesday, 27 April 2021

Killinchy

EDITED EXTRACTS FROM THE PARLIAMENTARY GAZETTEER OF IRELAND, PUBLISHED IN 1846


KILLINCHY, a post-town and parish, partly in the barony of Dufferin, but chiefly in the baronies of Upper and Lower Castlereagh, County Down, nine miles from Downpatrick.

It contains 13,686 statute acres, of which 6,437¼ (including Dunsy Island and Islandmore in Strangford Lough, and 75¾ acres in that lough) are in the barony of Dufferin.

Bawn Island, and some other insulated ground on the island-powdered bosom of Strangford Lough, belongs to the parish.

The land is chiefly in tillage, and in a high state of cultivation; there is no waste land and but little bog; clay slate abounds, and a thin seam of coal is visible at the lough.

There are several corn-mills; and fairs are held in the town on January 5th, April 6th, July 6th, and October 5th.

Killinchy has a constabulary police station, and has a sub-post office to Comber and Killyleagh.

Petty sessions are held in the court-house on alternate Saturdays.

At Whiterock is a small but excellent harbour, with a small pier, at which vessels of 80 tons can load, and from which a considerable quantity of agricultural produce is exported.

THE living is a rectory, in the diocese of Down, and in the alternate patronage of the Viscount Bangor and the Earl of Carrick.

The church, a large and handsome edifice with a square, embattled tower, situated on an eminence, was built in 1830, at an expense of £900 [£105,000 in 2020], whereof one half was raised by subscription, and the remainder by parochial assessment.

The glebe house was built in 1789, by the then incumbent, and there is a glebe of 12 acres.

The parochial schools are principally supported by the Rector; the school-house, built in 1825, is a good plain edifice containing separate school-rooms for boys and girls, and residences for the master and mistress.

There are ten other public schools, six of which are connected with the National Board; the remaining four are aided by annual donations from Lord Dufferin, the Gordon family, and the Rector.

The Earl of Limerick, about 1730, gave part of the townland of KIllinchy to the Incorporated School Society.

HERE are the remains of Balloo Fort, near which many silver coins of the reigns of KING JOHN and other monarchs were found in 1829.

The ancient castle of the family of Whyte stood on the site of Killinchy Fort, and in 1802 many silver and copper coins were found in its vicinity.

In the church-yard is the tomb of the family of Bruce.

No comments :