This family claims descent from a distinguished chieftain of the 12th century, Rhirid Flaidd, Lord of Penrhyn, Merionethshire, within the ancient kingdom of Powys, who took the surname of Blaidd, or the wolf, from his maternal ancestor, Blaidd Rhudd, or the Bloody Wolf, Lord of Gest, near Penmorfa, Gwynedd, whose standard bore a wolf passant on an azure ground.
LEWIS GWYNNE AP CADWALLADER AP RYDDERCA AP DAVID, of Bala, wedded Sidney, daughter of Robert Wynne, of Maesmochnant, Denbighshire (of the Gwydyr family), and had issue,
OWEN;The elder son,
OWEN WYNNE (c1620-70), the first who settled in Ireland, High Sheriff of counties Leitrim and Roscommon, 1659, married Catherine, widow of James Hamilton, son of Sir Frederick Hamilton, and daughter of Claud, 2nd Baron Strabane, by Lady Jane his wife, fourth daughter of George, Marquess of Huntly, and the Lady Henrietta Stewart, daughter of Esmé, Duke of Lennox, and by her (who married 3rdly, John Bingham, of Castlebar) had issue,
James, killed at Malplaquet;The second son,
LEWIS, of whom hereafter;
Owen (1665-1737), MP, lt-gen in the army;
Catherine; Lucy; Dorothy.
LEWIS WYNNE, married Rebecca, daughter of John Bingham, and was father of
OWEN WYNNE MP (1686-1755), of Hazelwood, High Sheriff of County Sligo, 1723, and of Leitrim, 1724, who wedded Catherine, daughter of John ffoliot, and had three sons,
James, m Susanna, daughter of Sir A Shaen Bt;The second son,
OWEN, of whom we treat;
John, died unmarried 1778.
THE RT HON OWEN WYNNE MP (1723-89), of Hazelwood, High sheriff of County Sligo, 1745 and 1758, espoused, in 1754, Anne, sister of Robert, Earl of Farnham, and by her had issue,
OWEN, his heir;The Rt Hon Owen Wynne was succeeded by his eldest son,
Robert, of Rathmines Castle;
William, barrister, MP;
OWEN WYNNE MP (1755-1841), High Sheriff of County Sligo, 1819 and 1833, who married, in 1790, Lady Sarah Elizabeth Cole, eldest daughter of William, 1st Earl of Enniskillen, and by her had issue,
JOHN ARTHUR;The eldest son,
William Willoughby (Rev);
Anne; Sarah Frances; Elizabeth; Florence.
THE RT HON JOHN ARTHUR WYNNE JP (1801-65), MP for Sligo, privy counsellor, Under Secretary to the Lord Lieutenant of Ireland; served as High Sheriff for counties of Sligo and Leitrim.
He married, in 1838, Lady Anne Wandesforde Butler, daughter of James, 1st Marquess of Ormonde KP, and by her had issue,
OWEN;His elder son,
Sarah; Grace Florence.
OWEN WYNNE JP DL (1843-1910), of Hazelwood, High Sheriff of County Sligo, 1875, and Leitrim, 1880, married, in 1870, Stella Fanny, youngest daughter of Sir Robert Gore-Booth Bt, and by her had issue,
MURIEL CAROLINE LOUISA;Mr Wynne, the last of his family in the direct male line at Hazelwood, succeeded his father in 1865.
Evelyn Mary; Madeline Mary; Dorothy Adelaide.
His eldest daughter,
MURIEL CAROLINE LOUISA, MRS PERCEVAL, of Hazelwood, wedded, in 1892, Philip Dudley Perceval, second son of Alexander Perceval, of Temple House, County Sligo, and had issue,
DOROTHY SOPHIE PERCEVAL, born in 1903.
I have written about the family's other seat in County Sligo here.
DRUMLEASE HOUSE (also known as Lurganboy), Manorhamilton, County Leitrim, is a three-bay, two-storey over basement former glebe house, built in 1834, with a two-bay extension to the north and entrance porch.
The house was built by the original Owen Wynne who acquired land in the area, probably in the later 17th century. It was noted as a lodge belonging to Owen Wynne in 1786.
The Rev Wilby Wynne was occupying Drumlease Glebe, barony of Dromahaire, at the time of the Griffith's Valuation.
The house, sometimes known as Lurganboy Lodge, was damaged by fire in 2002.
Former M-profile roof destroyed with ashlar chimneystacks; Snecked sandstone walls with limestone quoins and limestone string course to basement; tooled limestone block-and-start window surrounds and tooled sills set into segmental-headed blind arches to rear and side elevations; courtyard to north with renovated coach house and outbuilding.The modest design and regular form of the former glebe is enhanced by the detailing in the stonework and the retention of many original features.
The house is located down a long private driveway and is nestled in a wooded area by the banks of the River Bonet.
Unfortunately the house was extensively damaged in a fire in 2002, although some interior joinery and fireplaces still survive.
First published in August, 2013.