JAMES CALDWELL (c1634-c1717), who settled at Rossbeg, afterwards called Castle Caldwell, County Fermanagh.
Mr Caldwell was created a baronet in 1683.
Sir James wedded a daughter of Sir John Hume Bt, of Castle Hume, County Fermanagh.
In 1671, Sir James purchased the estate of Wellsborough, close to the present village of Belleek, County Fermanagh.
He was Captain of Horse and High Sheriff of County Fermanagh, 1677.
In 1689, Sir James was attainted by the Irish Parliament of King JAMES II.
He was Colonel of Foot in 1689.
Sir James was succeeded by his son,
SIR HENRY CALDWELL (d 1726), 2nd Baronet, Sheriff of County Fermanagh, 1693, who was a merchant, in 1714, at Ballyshannon, County Donegal.
SIR JOHN CALDWELL, 3rd Baronet, in 1719, married Anne, daughter of the Very Rev John French, Dean of Raphoe, by whom he had five sons and two daughters.
The third son, Hume, was a very distinguished officer in the Austrian service, and attained the rank of colonel. He was killed in a sally from the fortress of Schweidnitz, in 1762.
Sir John died in 1744, and was succeeded by his eldest son,
THE RT HON SIR JAMES CALDWELL, 4th Baronet (c1722-84), who being in the service of the Empress Maria Theresa, was created by that princess COUNT OF MILAN, in the Holy Roman Empire.
In 1766, Sir James, in passing through Vienna, having had an audience of leave of the Empress Queen, Her Imperial Majesty, in a very gracious manner, charged him with a magnificent gold box, to present to the Dowager Lady Caldwell, mother of Colonel Caldwell, as a testimony of Her Majesty's gratitude for the signal services performed by that gallant officer.
Sir James raised, in 1759, at his own expense, a body of light horse comprising 250 men, which he commanded for some years.
He married, in 1753, Elizabeth, daughter of the Most Rev Josiah Hort, Lord Archbishop of Tuam, by whom he had, with four daughters, three sons,
JOHN, his successor;He was succeeded by his son,
SIR JOHN CALDWELL, 5th Baronet (1756-1830), of Castle Caldwell, and a Count of Milan in the Holy Roman Empire.
He wedded Harriet, daughter of Hugh Meynell, and had two daughters, of whom the elder, Louisa Georgiana, espoused firstly, in 1823, Sir Josiah William Hort Bt, of Hortland; and secondly, Major John Colpoys Bloomfield, of Redwood, County Tipperary.
Sir John was Governor of County Fermanagh, 1793; lieutenant-colonel in the Fermanagh Militia; Sheriff of County Fermanagh, 1798; Captain in the Belleek Infantry, 1802.
On his death, his Holy Roman Empire Countship became extinct.
SIR JOHN CALDWELL, 6th Baronet (1775–1842), born at Quebec, married Jane Davidson, daughter of an army surgeon, in 1800; buried at St Matthews, Quebec; called to the Canadian Bar, 1798; member of the Legislative Assembly of Lower Canada, 1810-23 Receiver-General, 1823.
SIR HENRY JOHN CALDWELL, (1801-58), 7th Baronet, was a Seigneur and political figure in Quebec.
He represented Dorchester in the Legislative Assembly of Lower Canada from 1830-34.
Sir Henry was born in Quebec City, the son of John Caldwell, who was the son of Henry Caldwell, and Jane Davidson.
He inherited the seigneury of Lauzon after the death of his grandfather.
Sir Henry was a Justice of the Peace in 1816.
He married Sophia Louisa Paynter, the niece of Matthew Whitworth-Aylmer.
In 1826, the seigneury of Lauzon was sold to clear his father's debts, even though it had not been part of his father's property; Caldwell's appeal was unsuccessful.
He later operated a sawmill in the seigneury of Île-Verte.
The title became extinct on the 7th Baronet's death in 1858.
|Photo credit: David Gore|
It overlooks the shore of Lough Erne.
The facade is in the pasteboard Gothic style, with quatrefoil pointed windows, two small projecting turrets, and a battlemented pediment-gable at either end, surmounted by a pointed arch rather akin to a belfry.
The main block is linked by battlemented curved sweeps to a pair a tower-pavilions.
There is an octagon temple in the grounds near the lough.
Castle Caldwell passed to the Bloomfield family through the marriage of Frances, daughter and co-heiress of Sir John Calwell, 6th Baronet, to John Bloomfield, in 1817.
The house became ruinous by the end of the 19th century.
THOUGH Castle Caldwell today is largely covered with forest planting, having been developed for this purpose since 1913, it remains an outstanding site, both for its peninsular position on the shores of lower Lough Erne and for the remnants of the dwelling and garden.
The demesne was established in the early 17th century and the original gardens were in a formal layout, with straight avenues and canals aligned upon the house, known as Castle Hassett.
Extensive changes were undertaken in the grounds in the 18th century, which was by then heavily wooded, though there were views of the lough from the house.
Portions of these features still can be found in the undergrowth. The decline of the ornamental and productive gardens preceded the acquisition of the grounds early in the 20th century for forestry.
The forest planting itself has become historic: There is a noted large Sitka spruce in the car park planted in 1921.
The gate lodge, known as Railway Gate, was built ca 1866 into the newly-constructed railway embankment.
Trains rumbled overhead and carriages entered the demesne underneath and arch beside the castellated porter's house.
Within the demesne there is a 17th century ruined church and graveyard.
Bloomfield ordered a geological survey of his land and was informed that the clay contained all of the necessary raw materials to make pottery (feldspar, kaolin, flint, clay and shale).
He took on two partners (Robert Williams Armstrong and David McBirney), talked the government into building a rail spur to near-by Belleek (4 miles to the west) and built a pottery factory, Mrs Bloomfield laying the first foundation stone in 1853.
Thus were the beginnings of a very successful business and a line of pottery now known the world over as Belleek Pottery. Unusual in its lustre and beauty, it has been a prized possession of royalty and many others for many years.
Blanche Caldwell Grierson (nee Bloomfield) was the only daughter of John Caldwell Bloomfield DL, of Castle Caldwell, a former High Sheriff of County Fermanagh. She was also related to the Brookes of Colebrooke.
During the First World War, Mrs Grierson was an active enthusiastic worker on behalf of the UVF Hospital, where many beds were endowed through her efforts.
She died in 1920.
The Griersons had a daughter, Ula, who married Henry Kinahan and died on 24 February, 1949.
First published in September, 2010.