Friday, 15 May 2015

Ardgillan Castle

THE FAMILY OF TAYLOR WERE MAJOR LANDOWNERS IN COUNTY MEATH, WITH 9,000 ACRES


THE REV AND HON HENRY EDWARD TAYLOUR (1768-1852) was the youngest son of Thomas, 1st Earl of Bective KP.

This nobleman's brothers included Thomas, 1st Marquess of Headfort KP, and Clotworthy, 1st Baron Langford.

He married, in 1807, Marianne, eldest daughter of the Hon Richard St Leger, and by her (who died in 1859) had issue, his eldest son,

THE RT HON THOMAS EDWARD TAYLOR JP DL MP (1811-83), of Ardgillan Castle, County Dublin; MP for County Dublin, 1841-83; captain, 6th Dragoon Guards; Lieutenant-Colonel, Royal Meath Militia, 1847-74; Honorary Colonel.


Colonel Taylor, who was a Lord of the Treasury 1858-59, and Joint Secretary of the Treasury 1866-68, was appointed in the last-named year Chancellor of the Duchy of Lancaster, and again in 1874-80.

In 1862, he married Louisa Harrington, second daughter of the Rev and Hon Hugh Francis Tollemache, rector of Harrington, Northamptonshire, and had issue,
EDWARD RICHARD, of whom we treat;
Basil Reginald Hamilton, Lieutenant RN;
Cecil Cornelia Marianne St Leger;
Beatrix Virginia Louisa Tollemache, twin with her sister.
Colonel Taylor died in 1883 at his sister's house at 15 Fitzwilliam Place, Dublin, and was buried in the family vault at Balbriggan, County Dublin.

He was succeeded by his eldest son,

EDWARD RICHARD TAYLOR JP DL (1863-1938), of Ardgillan Castle; captain, Grenadier Guards; married Ada, daughter of William Howe Bodley, in 1935, in a childless marriage.



ARDGILLAN CASTLE, near Balbriggan, County Dublin, is set in the 200-acre Ardgillan demesne.

Featuring castellated embellishments, the building overlooks Barnageera Beach, the Irish Sea and Dublin (Balbriggan).

The castle consists of two storeys over a basement, which extends under the south lawns.

When occupied, the ground and first floors were the living accommodation; while the west and east wings were servants quarters and estate offices.

The basement was the service floor, the kitchen and stores.

The castle has now been restored and the ground floor rooms and kitchens are open to visitors for guided tours. Tea-rooms are located off the main reception area and serving light snacks are open in conjunction with the Castle opening times.

Upstairs, the former bedrooms are used for classes and exhibitions including a permanent and unique exhibition of the "Down Survey" colour maps and text.

Ardgillan demesne is a popular local park, with a mix of woodlands and large grass open spaces. The park contains a walled herb garden, rose garden, Victorian conservatory, tea rooms and an ice house.

A children's playground was added in 2006.

Ardgillan Castle provides guided tours and hosts exhibitions throughout the years. A new Holistic Centre is set in the former Gardener's House in the corner of the Rose Garden.

The previous owner of the land was Robert Usher, a wine merchant from Tallaght.
When the Very Rev Robert Taylor bought the land it was quite a wooded area, so he employed some out of service soldiers from Bangor, County Down, and paid them one penny and a meal per day, as well as bed every night. They also received a tot of Bushmills whiskey, which was brought in for 2/2 a gallon.
The Castle was built by the Very Rev Robert Taylor in 1738.

The Very Rev Robert Taylor, Dean of Clonfert, was born in 1689 in Cheshire.

In 1714, having studied Holy Orders at Trinity College Dublin, he was appointed Archdeacon of Kilmacduagh in the Province of Tuam.

In 1722, he was appointed Precentor of Clonfert, where his brother-in-law Dr Fitzgerald was Dean.

By 1726 he was appointed Dean of Clonfert, only to resign within months.

Robert Taylor died unmarried in 1744 and Ardgillan, together with its estate, became the property of his eldest brother Sir Thomas Taylor, 2nd Baronet.

Ardgillan remained in the Taylor family until 1962, when the estate was sold to Heinrich Potts, of Westphalia, Germany.

In 1982, the estate was sold to Fingal County Council, which renovated the house.

It was officially opened to the public in 1992.

First published in April, 2013.

No comments :