EGBERT MONTGOMERY, of Glenarm, born in 1711, married, in 1742, Isabella Stewart, and by her had issue,
HUGH MONTGOMERY (1743-1832), of Glenarm, who wedded, in 1785, Margaret, daughter of John Allen, of Kilmandle, and had issue,
John, his heir, of Benvarden, Co Antrim;Mr Montgomery's second son,
HUGH (1794-1867), of whom we treat;
Alexander, of Potter's Wall, Co Antrim;
Thomas, JP, of Birch Hill, Co Antrim;
Barbara, m 1st, Richard Staples, son of the Rt Hon J Staples, of Lissan; 2ndly, 1826, Sir A MacDonnell;
Isabella; Marion; Victoria.
HUGH MONTGOMERY (1794-1867), of Ballydrain, County Antrim, married Emily, daughter of John Ferguson, of Ballysillan, and had issue,
Hugh (1830-54), killed in action;Mr Montgomery's fifth son,
John Ferguson (1832-76), accidentally killed;
Alexander Richard, d 1861;
James Charles, d 1870;
THOMAS, of whom hereafter;
George, b 1843, captain, RHA;
Emily Sarah; Mary Isabella; Florence Jane;
Eva Victoria; Blanche Marjorie;
THOMAS MONTGOMERY JP DL (1837-1909), of Ballydrain, High Sheriff, 1885, wedded, in 1866, Isabella, daughter of the Rev Thomas Walker, and had issue,
HUGH FERGUSON, his heir;
Emily Sarah; Mary Isabella; Florence Jane;
Eva Victoria; Blanche Marjorie; Ellen Georgina.
GEORGE MONTGOMERY (1843-c1881), wedded Blanche, third daughter of John Eveleigh Wyndham, of Sock Dennis, Somerset, and had an only son,
HUGH WYNDHAM MONTGOMERY (1875-1965), of Ravensdale, County Kildare, High Sheriff, 1911, who married, in 1898, Annie Selina Emma, daughter of Thomas Benyon Ferguson by his wife, the Hon Emma Amelia Cary, sister of 12th Viscount Falkland, and had issue,
GEORGE WYNDHAM CLAUD, his heir;The eldest son,
Noel Hugh, b 1910;
Shelagh Blanche; Daphne Lena.
GEORGE WYNDHAM CLAUD MONTGOMERY (1899-1978), espoused, in 1923, Estella M Crane, of Dorchester, Dorset.
The Montgomerys sold Ballydrain in 1918.
BALLYDRAIN HOUSE, Dunmurry, now Malone Golf Club, is situated opposite Sir Thomas and Lady Dixon Park on the outskirts of south Belfast.
The early history of the demesne, from the beginning of the 17th century until 1834, is bound up with that of the Stewart family. The first house to be built on the site was a bawn (or fortified farmhouse) by William Stewart, whose family was of Scottish lesser royal blood, in 1608.
Little remains from those early days, except the family tombstones in Drumbeg Parish Church and a stone inscribed 'A Free Howse 1675' in the church porch. John Stewart died in 1691. The property then passed to his son Thomas (1660-1715); and later to Thomas's son John (1701-84), who married Jane Legge (1698-1778).
John and Jane had seven children. One of the grandchildren, George, inherited Ballydrain. George married Martha Rainey and had two sons, William and Robert, both of whom died abroad in early life.Shortly before his death in 1805, George sold Ballydrain to his cousin, John Younghusband.
|Photo credit: Hugh Montgomery, of Benvarden|
The present house is said to have been built in 1835, though documents of 1837 record that Montgomery was in the process of erecting 'a fine castle' on the estate, an indication that the house was still incomplete in 1837.
On Mr Morrison's death in November, 1947, Ballydrain became the property of his son, John Maynard Morrison, of Mullaghbuoy, Donaghadee and his (John Barbour's) brother, James Morrison, of Balloo, Groomsport, County Down.
Though the land continued to be farmed, the house lay empty for several years, until the estate was purchased by Malone Golf Club in 1960.
Play was commenced on the course on the 2nd June, 1962, and the house was officially opened, as Malone Clubhouse, on the 19th September of that year, by the Rt Hon Sir Basil Brooke Bt, Prime Minister of Northern Ireland.
Part of the grounds and the house were changed considerably by the golf club: One of the main alterations was the removal of the flower garden to make way for a car park; while the walled garden was turned into tennis courts and a bowling green.
The gate lodge at the main entrance was demolished. However, while the character of the estate - with its magnificent trees and lake - has been allowed to remain reasonably intact, this unfortunately has not been the case with the house: the Tudor chimneys and balustrades have been removed, as have the mullioned windows; and the main entrance has been altered considerably.The present Ballydrain site is Malone Golf Club's fourth location since it was founded in 1895, moving from Newforge Lane to Stranmillis to the Upper Malone Road and finally to its current location at the Ballydrain Estate on the Upper Malone Road.
First published in December, 2010.