LUKE WHITE (c1750-1824) was born at Bell's Lane, Belfast.
This bookseller, lottery operator and Whig politician was once known as "the Smithfield Millionaire".
He started as an impecunious book dealer, first in the streets of Belfast; then, from 1778, at an auction house in Dublin, buying and reselling around the country.
By 1798, during the Rebellion, he helped the Irish government with a loan of £1 million (at £65 per £100 share at 5%).
He then purchased Luttrellstown Castle from Henry Luttrell, 2nd Earl of Carhampton, in 1800, and changed its name to Woodlands in order to eradicate the memory of its previous owner.
Mr White was High Sheriff of County Dublin in 1804 and High Sheriff of Longford, 1806.
He was MP for Leitrim from 1818-24.
Mr White married firstly, in 1781, Elizabeth de la Mazière, and had, with other issue,
Thomas, Colonel, of Woodlands;He espoused secondly, in 1800, Arabella Fortescue, daughter of William Fortescue, and had issue, one son.
HENRY, of whom hereafter;
Matilda, m 4th Baron Massy.
White died at his town residence in Park Street, Mayfair.
Mr White left properties worth £175,000 per annum which eventually devolved to his fourth son
HENRY WHITE (1791-1873), of Woodlands, County Dublin, and subsequently of Rathcline, County Longford, who wedded, in 1828, Ellen, daughter of William Soper Dempster, of Skibo Castle, Sutherland, and had issue,
LUKE, his heir;Mr White was elevated to the peerage, in 1863, as BARON ANNALY, of Annaly and Rathcline, County Longford.
Charles William, of Cahercon;
He was succeeded by his eldest son,
LUKE, 2nd Baron (1829-88), KP, MP for Clare, 1859-60, for Longford, 1861-2, and for Kidderminster, 1862-5, who espoused, in 1853, Emily, daughter of James Stuart, and had issue.
The Heir apparent is the present holder's only son, the Hon Luke Henry White.
- Luke White, 2nd Baron (1829–88);
- Luke White, 3rd Baron (1857–1922);
- Luke Henry White, 4th Baron (1885–1970);
- Luke Robert White, 5th Baron (1927–90);
- Luke Richard White, 6th Baron (b 1954).
The 1st Baron's fifth son, the Hon Charles William White (1838-90), of Cahercon, inherited the County Clare estates comprising 18,226 acres, and 5,731 acres in County Tipperary.
CAHERCON HOUSE, near Kildysart, County Clare, is situated on the banks of the River Shannon, the seat of the Scott family until at least the 1850s.
The sale rental of 1854 gives a detailed description of the house which included 16 bedrooms.
Cahercon, variously known as Cahircon, Caheracon and Cahiracon, is a late-Georgian block of three storeys over a basement, with two-storey, mid-19th century wings and other additions.
The house faces across the Shannon estuary.
The main block is of five bays, with an Ionic porch; the wings have three-sided bows. The roof is prominent.
Cahercon was the seat of the Scott family until at least the 1850s and was constructed around 1790.
In 1873, the wings, conservatory and single storey bay were added.
By the 19th century James Kelly held the house in fee.
The Hon James William White, son of Lord Annally's son, lived in Cahiracon in the mid 1870s and it was still a seat of the family in 1894.
The Vandeleurs lived in Cahercon at the beginning of the 20th century.
In 1920, it was purchased by the Maynooth Mission to China, and they in turn sold it to the Salesians Sisters of St John Bosco in 1962.
Until 2002, Cahercon House operated as a secondary school, boarding school and convent.
First published in July, 2012.