FRANCIS MacLAOISIGH, MacLYSACH, MacLYE, or LYE, petitioned for a lease of the dissolved monastery town and lands of Killeigh, near Geashill, King's County, in 1551, and obtained a lease of them the following year.
Two months later, in 1552, he obtained a grant of English liberty to enable him to hold the lands.
He married the daughter of John O'Carrol, and had issue,
JOHN, his successor;Francis MacLaoighsigh or Lye was dead in 1573, and his lands were in possession of his eldest son,
JOHN MacLAOISIGH or LYE,
who having a perfect knowledge of the English language as well as the Irish, was appointed Interpreter to the State, and was granted for his services as interpreter, in 1584, in the reign of ELIZABETH I, the fee of the monastery of Killeigh, which he then held under the lease of his father, and obtained a grant of Rathbride, County Kildare, dated 1591.He married Amy, daughter of George FitzGerald, of Tircroghan, County Meath, and sister of Sir Edward FitzGerald, Knight, of the same place, and had issue,
JOHN, his heir;He died in 1612, and was buried at Kildare Cathedral, where his tombstone still remains.
Katherine; Mabel; Mary;
Margaret; Bridget; Amy; Ellen.
He was succeeded by his eldest son,
JOHN LEIGH, of Rathbride, who with mother having alienated some of his father's lands, got a pardon for alienation dated 1613.
He had by his wife, whose name was Dowdall, the following issue,
FRANCIS, his heir;John Leigh died abroad and intestate. Administration was granted in 1660 to his eldest son,
FRANCIS LEIGH, of Rathbride, who was appointed Escheater-General of Leinster in 1663; and MP for Kildare, 1689.
Having supported King JAMES II, he was attainted of high treason in 1691, when all his lands were forfeited.
He espoused, in 1662, Judith, daughter of Henry Spencer, by whom he had
Robert, died unmarried;The fourth son,
John, of Dublin, died unmarried;
Andrew, of Friarstown;
FRANCIS, of whom hereafter;
Judith, died unmarried.
FRANCIS LEIGH, of Rathangan, County Kildare, succeeded his brother in the Wexford estate, and became of Rosegarland.
He married firstly, in 1699, Alice, widow of John Rawlins, of Rathangan, by whom he had no issue; and secondly, Miss Carew, by whom he had issue,
JOHN, his heir;Mr Leigh died in 1727, and was succeeded by his eldest son,
Cecilia; Judith; Mary.
JOHN LEIGH, of Rosegarland, MP for New Ross, 1727-58, who wedded, in 1727, Mary, daughter of John Cliffe, of Mulrancan, County Wexford, by whom he had issue,
ROBERT, his heir;Mr Leigh, whose will was proved in 1758, was succeeded by his only son,
Grace, m to Anthony, 8th Earl of Meath.
ROBERT LEIGH DL (1729-1802), of Rosegarland, MP for New Ross, 1759-1800, Lieutenant-Colonel of the Wexford Militia in 1763.
He espoused, in 1750-1, Arabella, daughter of Robert Leslie, of Glasslough, County Monaghan, by whom he had issue,
FRANCIS, his heir;Mr Leigh was succeeded by his eldest son,
FRANCIS LEIGH (1758-1839), of Rosegarland, Collector of Wexford, 1794, Sovereign of New Ross, 1799.
He married, in 1788, Grace, daughter of Richard Baldwin, by whom he had issue,
John Robert, father of FRANCIS AUGUSTINE;Mr Leigh, who was MP for Wexford from 1793 to 1802, was succeeded by his grandson,
Charles, died unmarried;
Francis, of Sion;
Cecilia; Grace; Mary.
FRANCIS AUGUSTINE LEIGH JP DL (1822-1900), of Rosegarland, High Sheriff, 1867, lieutenant, 10th Hussars, who wedded Augustine, daughter of Monsieur Charles Perrier, of Metz, Lorraine, France, and by her had issue,
FRANCIS ROBERT, his heir;Mr Leigh was succeeded by his eldest son,
Rose Jane; Frances; Jane.
FRANCIS ROBERT LEIGH JP (1853-), of Rosegarland, 3rd Battalion, Royal Irish Regiment, who espoused, in 1903, Elizabeth Scott, daughter of Barton Bell, of Black Hall, Lanark, and had issue,
FRANCIS EDWARD (1907-), his heir;
Augustine Anne Leigh;
and two other daughters.
ROSEGARLAND HOUSE, Wellingtonbridge, County Wexford, is an early 18th century house comprising two storeys and a high basement.
It stands beside an old tower house, once the seat of the Synnotts.
In the late 1700s, a bigger two-storey, gable-ended range was added at right angles to the original mansion house; thus providing the building with a seven-bay front.
There is a fine doorway with fanlight and columns.
To the rear of the house there is a notable office courtyard, close to the old tower-house which was transformed into a kind of folly, with crenellated turrets.
The estate today is renowned for its equestrian and shooting activities and extends to 650 acres.
The house itself is private, though self-catering accommodation is available for rent.