CHARLES VILLIERS, A GREAT-GRANDSON OF THE 7TH MARQUESS AND MARCHIONESS OF LONDONDERRY, HAS SENT ME INFORMATION ABOUT A BALL HELD AT LONDONDERRY HOUSE, PARK LANE, LONDON, ON THE 23RD OCTOBER, 1959.
Lady Mairi, in tangerine paper-taffeta and fabulous tiara and necklace of square-cut diamonds and emeralds, stood at the top of the imposing staircase of Londonderry House - her childhood home - to receive her guests.
It was a wonderful setting for a ball, though Lady Mairi told me that she thought Elizabeth might well be the last of the Londonderry family to have a coming-out there.
In the gold-and-white ballroom the gay colours of dresses glowed softly under the chandeliers.
The young men, the Earl of Portarlington, Mr Alexander Cadogan, Mr William Lindsay-Hogg, Mr Paul Channon MP, and the Hon John Jolliffe, found that they had only to walk a few yards from the dance-floor to sit out in rooms hung with fine old paintings.
As Elizabeth is the eldest of her branch of the family, there were many relatives present:-
Her father, Viscount Bury; the Earl & Countess of Albemarle, her cousin the Hon Camilla Jessel, the Dowager Viscountess Chaplin and the Hon Walter & Mrs Keppel.
For the older generation it was an evening of memories - memories of some of the greatest pre-war parties when Prime Ministers and future Prime Ministers argued long after dinner.
The hostess on these occasions was Lady Mairi's mother, the late Dowager Marchioness of Londonderry.
- Hon Elizabeth Anson
- Elizabeth Blakiston-Houston
- Hon Sarah Boyle
- Lady Elizabeth Charteris
- Lady Rose Chetwynd-Talbot
- Lady Carey Coke
- Lady Diana Douglas-Home
- Lady Anne, Lady Mary & Lady Sarah Fitzalan-Howard
- Belinda Guinness
The Hon Lucinda Lambton
- The Duke & Duchess of Abercorn
- The Viscount & Viscountess Allendale
- Lord Annaly
- The Earl & Countess of Antrim
- Mr Mark & Lady Annabel Birley
- Lady Perdita Blackwood
- Viscount Bury
- Marquess of Clydesdale
- The Earl of Dudley MC
- The Marchioness of Dufferin & Ava
- The Lord & Lady Glentoran
- Colonel & the Hon Mrs Grosvenor
- Lt-Cdr & Hon Mrs O King
- Raffaele, Duchess of Leinster
- Mr & Mrs John Profumo
- The Duke & Duchess of Sutherland
- The Lord Talbot de Malahide
- The Lord & Lady Wakehurst
- The Hon Helen Ward
- The Dean of Windsor & Mrs Hamilton
- Viscount Anson
- Paul Channon MP
- Viscount Chelsea
- The Marquess of Dufferin & Ava
- The Lord Dunleath
- Viscount Dunluce
- The Earl of Gowrie
- Marquess of Hamilton
- Lord Anthony Hamilton
- Viscount Jocelyn
- The Lord O'Neill
- Andrew & Gavin Perceval-Maxwell
- Lord Sudeley
- The Viscount Sudeley
- The Earl of Suffolk
Londonderry arms courtesy of European Heraldry. First published in December, 2011.