Wednesday 13 July 2016

Mermaid Kitchen


I've had mixed weather at Portballintrae, one of the Province's seaside resorts on the Causeway Coast in County Antrim.

Earlier I motored into Portrush, arguably our principal resort, and made the customary beeline for the celebrated Ramore group of restaurants at the harbour.

They must have five or six distinctive restaurants, included the latest, Neptune & Prawn, across the road.

The Wine Bar was very busy and buzzing, as ever. 

I heard the patrons in front of me in the queue being advised that they might have to wait 45 minutes for a suitable table.


It was suggested that I go upstairs to The Mermaid Kitchen and Bar.

I was shown to a low counter at the bar, table-height, where one has a good view of the staff making cocktails.


Tonight I opted for the Royal Fish Pie, comprising scallops, prawns, cod, salmon and lobster, served with a rich, creamy Thermidor sauce and a medley of fresh vegetables.

 I enjoyed it. 


For pudding I had the salted caramel and toffee tart with chantilly cream and chocolate; another good choice, not too heavy and delicious.

The bill came to £1.40 for tomato juice; £14.95, the seafood pie; and the pudding, £5.95.

No comments :