Tuesday, 26 June 2018

Lawderdale House

THE LAWDERS OWNED 3,748 ACRES OF LAND IN COUNTY LEITRIM

WILLIAM LAWDER, of West Barns, Dunbar, Haddingtonshire, younger son of Sir Robert Lauder of the Bass, and Isabella, his wife, daughter of John, 1st Lord Hay of Yester, married Jonet Liddell, and had issue,
MAURICE, his heir;
Robert;
Hugh;
William;
John.
Mr Lawder died in 1556, and was succeeded by his eldest son,

MAURICE LAWDER, of Balhaven and West Barns, Bailie of Dunbar, 1561, MP for Dunbar, 1585, who wedded firstly, Nichola Home, and had issue,
WILLIAM, his heir;
John;
Robert;
Jonet; Helen; Margaret; Nichola.
He espoused secondly, Margaret Hamilton, who dsp 1580; and thirdly, Alison Cass, by whom he had issue,
Jonet; Isobel.
Mr Lawder died in 1602, and was succeeded by his eldest son,

WILLIAM LAWDER, of Belhaven and West Barns, Bailie of Dunbar, 1602, who married firstly, Elizabeth Hepburn, and had issue,
ALEXANDER, his heir;
William.
He wedded secondly, Margaret, daughter of James Hume, of Friarlands, Dunbar, and had issue,
James.
Mr Lawder died in 1618, at Clonyen, Killeshandra, County Cavan, and was succeeded by his eldest son,

ALEXANDER LAWDER, of Balhaven, West Barns and Clonyen, who espoused Katherine Pringle, and had issue,
GEORGE, his heir;
Violet.
Mr Lawder died in 1631, and was succeeded by his only son,

GEORGE LAWDER, of Balhaven, West Barns, Haddingtonshire, and Mount Lawder, County Cavan, who married firstly, Elspeth Lawder, and had issue,
Robert;
Jane.
He wedded secondly, Agnes Bothwell, and had issue,
James, of West Barns;
Catherine.
Mr Lawder espoused thirdly, Isobel ________, and had issue,
WILLIAM, of whom hereafter;
Launcelot;
Andrew;
John;
George.
Mr Lawder died in 1649.

His third son,

WILLIAM LAWDER, of Bawnboy and Drumalee, County Cavan, High Sheriff of County Cavan, 1681, was, with his nephew Launcelot, attainted by the parliament assembled by JAMES II at Dublin in 1689.

He married Dorothy Trench, and had issue,
William;
FREDERICK, of whom hereafter;
James.
Mr Lawder's second son,

FREDERICK LAWDER, of Cor, County Cavan, High Sheriff of County Leitrim, 1705, wedded Rebecca, daughter of David Rynd, of Derryvolan, County Fermanagh, and had issue,
William;
Thomas;
FREDERICK, of whom we treat;
Christopher;
James.
The third son,

FREDERICK LAWDER, of Mough (or Lawderdale) House, County Leitrim, espoused, in 1744, Rebecca, daughter of Christopher Rynd, of Fenagh, County Leitrim, and had issue,
RYND, his heir;
Henry;
Frederick;
James;
Deborah; Phœbe; Rebecca.
The eldest son,

RYND LAWDER (1746-1811), of Mough House, married Mary, daughter of John Beatty, and had issue,
JOHN, his heir;
Frederick, settled in the USA;
Rynd, surgeon, 7th Hussars;
James, surgeon, East India Company;
William Henry;
Rebecca; Maria; Marcella; Margaret.
The eldest son,

JOHN LAWDER (1776-1853), of Mough, wedded, in 1816, Ellen, daughter of Matthew Nesbitt, of Derrycarne, County Leitrim, and had issue,
Rynd, dsp;
MATTHEW NESBITT (Rev), succeeded his brother William;
John, dsp;
James, dsp;
WILLIAM, of whom next;
Francis;
Henry;
Edward;
Ellen; Margaret.
The fifth son,

WILLIAM LAWDER JP DL (1824-76), of Mough, succeeded his father and changed the name of his residence to Lawderdale.

Mr Lawder died unmarried, and was succeeded by his brother,

THE REV MATTHRE NESBITT LAWDER (1820-81), of Lawderdale, who espoused, in 1848, Anne, daughter of John Gumley, though the marriage was without issue, and he was succeeded by his cousin,

JAMES ORMSBY LAWDER JP DL (1847-), of Lawderdale, High Sheriff of County Leitrim, 1909, who married, in 1872, Jane Eliza, daughter of the Rev Edwin Thomas, Vicar of Carlingford, County Louth, and had issue,
CECIL EDWARD;
Violet; Pearl Edith.
The only son and heir,

CECIL EDWARD LAWDER, born in 1877, Lieutenant, Royal Fleet Auxiliary, wedded, in 1909, Violet Wood, second daughter of J Basden Orr, of Kelvinside, Glasgow.


LAWDERDALE HOUSE, Ballinamore, County Leitrim, is a plain two-storey, three-bay house, built ca 1850, with a gabled projecting entrance bay.

A hipped, corrugated-iron roof with brick and ashlar chimneystacks, bargeboards and a tower, were built in 1983.

The walls are roughcast and cement rendered.

There are two-storey stone outbuildings to the rear yard.

A range to the east was built in 1875, abutted by a lean-to outbuilding built about 1980.

Walled garden to east of house.

Ruinous private chapel to adjacent field.

Part of the former estate is now the Lawderdale Furniture Company.

1 comment :

Demetrius said...

Ah, a Nesbitt. Any connection to Cairncross Nesbitt?