Monday, 25 June 2018

Rokeby Hall

THE ROBINSON BARONETS OWNED 2,941 ACRES OF LAND IN COUNTY LOUTH

GRACE ROBINSON (1718-76), youngest daughter of Thomas Robinson, of Rokeby, Yorkshire, and sister of Sir Thomas Robinson, 1st Baronet,  and of the Most Rev Richard Robinson, Lord Archbishop of Armagh (created BARON ROKEBY), married, in 1739, the Very Rev Dr William Freind, of Whitney, Oxfordshire, Dean of Canterbury, and had, with other issue,
William Maximilian;
Robert;
JOHN, of whom we treat;
Grace.
The youngest son,

JOHN FREIND (1754-1832), who assumed, in 1793, his maternal surname of ROBINSON.

Mr Robinson was created a baronet in 1819, denominated of Rokeby Hall.

This gentleman wedded, in 1786, Mary Anne, second daughter of James Spencer, of Rathangan, County Kildare, and had issue,
RICHARD, his successor;
William;
John;
Henry James;
Charles;
Robert Spencer (Admiral Sir), KCB;
Jane; Louisa; Charlotte; Mary Anne; Henrietta; Grace Alicia; Emily;
Caroline; Frances; Sophia; Selina; Isabella Esther.
Sir John was succeeded by his eldest son,

SIR RICHARD ROBINSON, 2nd Baronet (1787-1847), who espoused, in 1813, the Lady Eleanor Helena Moore, daughter of Stephen, 2nd Earl Mount Cashell, and had issue,
JOHN STEPHEN, his successor;
RICHARD HARCOURT, 5th Baronet;
Helena Esther Florence; Elizabeth Selina.
Sir Richard was succeeded by his eldest son,

SIR JOHN STEPHEN ROBINSON, 3rd Baronet (1816-95), JP DL, High Sheriff of County Louth, 1849, who married, in 1841, Sarah, only daughter of Anthony Denny, of Barham Wood, Hertfordshire, and granddaughter of the celebrated Lord Collingwood, and had issue,
Richard Collingwood;
GERALD WILLIAM COLLINGWOOD, his successor;
Maud Helena Collingwood.
Sir John was succeeded by his eldest surviving son,

SIR GERALD WILLIAM COLLINGWOOD ROBINSON, 4th Baronet (1857-1903), who was succeeded by his nephew,

SIR RICHARD HARCOURT ROBINSON (1828-1910), Lieutenant-Colonel, 60th Rifles, who died without male issue, when the baronetcy expired.


ROKEBY HALL, Dunleer, County Louth, is a mansion built in the neo-classical style ca 1785 for the Most Rev Richard Robinson, Lord Archbishop of Armagh (later 1st Baron Rokeby).

The original design of the house was probably by Thomas Cooley.

Rokeby Hall comprises two storeys over a rusticated basement.


There are two bays on either side of the central pedimented feature, which is of three bays.


The pediment apex is adorned with Lord Rokeby's coat-of-arms.

This elegant and noble house is topped by a high roof parapet.

The front is constructed with a fine, crisp ashlar; and the steps leading up to the front door curve elegantly, too.

No comments :