The family of UPTON was seated at Upton, Cornwall, about the time of the Conquest.
From John Upton, of Upton, descended in the fourth degree,
RICHARD UPTON, who married Agnes, daughter and heir of Walter Carnother.
JOHN UPTON, their son, wedded Margaret, sister and co-heir of John Mules; their son,
THOMAS UPTON, espoused Joan, daughter and heir of John Trelawney, by whom he had issue,
JOHN UPTON, of Treslake, his second son, who married Elizabeth, daughter and heir of William Mohun, of Portlinch, Devon. Their second son,
JOHN UPTON, was father of
WILLIAM UPTON, seated at Lupton, Devon. His great-grandson,
ARTHUR UPTON, was father, besides his son and heir, of the first member of this family that settled in Ulster,
HENRY UPTON, his second son, a captain in the Earl of Essex's army in 1598.
Captain Upton was great-nephew of Sir Nicholas Upton, one of the knights of Malta.
He fixed his abode in County Antrim, and was returned to parliament for the town of Carrickfergus.
Mr Upton married Mary, daughter of Sir Hugh Clotworthy, knight, and sister of John, Viscount Massereene, by whom he had four sons and three daughters, and was succeeded by the eldest,
ARTHUR UPTON, of Castle Upton, MP for County Antrim for a series of forty years.
This gentleman wedded Dorothy, daughter of Michael Beresford, of Coleraine, and was succeeded by his fourth, but eldest, surviving son,
CLOTWORTHY UPTON, of Castle Upton, MP for County Antrim.
This gentleman, raising a party of men, joined the standard of WILLIAM III, at the siege of Limerick, and was taken prisoner there, after entering the breach sword in hand, and almost alone, his followers, nearly to a man, being cut to pieces.Mr Upton married firstly, Mary, only daughter of Roger Boyle, Earl of Orrery, by whom he had no issue.
He married secondly, Margaret, daughter of William Stewart, of Killymoon, County Tyrone, who died also without issue; and thirdly, Jane, daughter of John Ormsby, of Athlacca, by whom he had an only daughter,
ELZABETH, who wedded the Rt Hon Hercules Landford Rowley, and was created a peeress of the realm, as Baroness Langford.
Mr Upton was succeeded by his brother,
JOHN UPTON, of Castle Upton, MP for County Antrim, a military officer.
He distinguished himself at the storming of the citadel of Liège, and at the battle of Almansa, under Lord Galway; where, for his spirited conduct, he obtained the command of a regiment, upon the fall of Colonel Killigrew.Colonel Upton wedded, in 1711, Mary, only daughter of Dr Francis Upton, of London, by whom he had three sons and five daughters.
He was succeeded by his eldest son,
ARTHUR UPTON, of Castle Upton, MP and deputy governor of County Antrim.
This gentleman married firstly, Sophia, daughter of Michael Ward; and secondly, Sarah, daughter of Pole Cosby, of Stradbally; but dying without issue, in 1768, the estates devolved upon his brother,
FRANCIS UPTON, a naval officer; at whose decease, unmarried, they passed to a younger brother,
CLOTWORTHY UPTON (1721-85), who was elevated to the peerage, in 1776, by the title of Baron Templetown.
JOHN HENRY, 2nd Baron (1771-1846), was advanced to the dignity of a viscountcy, as VISCOUNT TEMPLETOWN, in 1806.
his lordship wedded, in 1769, Elizabeth, daughter of Shuckburgh Boughton, of Poston Court, Herefordshire, by who he left issue,
JOHN HENRY, his successor;
Arthur Percy, CB, lt-gen in the army;
Elizabeth Albinia, m 1st Marquess of Bristol.
The 5th Viscount married firstly, in 1916, Alleyne, daughter of Captain Henry Lewes Conran RN, of Gordon Downs, Queensland, Australia, and had issue,
- George Frederick Upton, 3rd Viscount (1802–90);
- Henry Augustus George Mountjoy Heneage Upton, 5th Viscount (1894–1981).
HENRY ERIC PATRICK MOUNJOY SPALDING (1917-57), dsp;His lordship wedded secondly, in 1975, Margaret Violet Louisa, widow of Sir Lionel George Arthur Cust.
Alleyne Evelyn Maureen Louisa.
On the decease of the 5th Viscount the titles expired.
The ancestral seat of the Templetown family was Castle Upton, Templepatrick, County Antrim.
Templepatrick, County Antrim, is near the half-way point on the main road from Antrim to Belfast.
The demesne lies on the north side of the village; and the house contains numerous features which are of historical and architectural import.
th century priory of the Knights of St John (Hospitallers) - monks who joined the Last Crusade, sailing from Carrickfergus in County Antrim.
The said monks were expelled from Templepatrick during the Reformation; and the Knights' vaulted refectory was reconstructed, when the mansion was extended by Robert Adam in 1783 for the 1st Viscount Templetown.
th and beginning of the 17th centuries by Sir Robert and Sir Henry Norton Bt, who named it Castle Norton.
The castle was sold in 1625 to Captain Henry Upton, who promptly re-named it Castle Upton.
From 1783 Clotworthy Upton, 1st Baron Templetown, and his son (later 1st Viscount Templetown) employed Robert Adam to modernize the interior and give the exterior a "castle air".
Adam raised and machiolated the pair of round towers from the original castle and gave them high, conical roofs, adding a wing with another tower.
Adam also designed a Classical mausoleum in the church-yard and a splendid castellated stable range, in 1789.
In 1837 Edward Blore was employed by the 2nd Viscount to re-model the Castle, inserting mullioned windows and eradicating most of Adams' interiors; raising and panelling the hall; and refurbishing the main reception rooms in a restrained Elizabethan style, with fretted ceilings.
The Castle was sold by the Upton family early in the 20th century; and the subsequent owner re-roofed the main building, an act which ruined Adam's romantic skyline.
Adam's additional wing was allowed to fall into ruin.
In 1963, the 300-acre estate was purchased by Sir Robin Kinahan who, with Lady Kinahan, restored the Castle most sympathetically.
Their most notable achievement was the rebuilding of the ruined Adam wing, which now contains an elegant ballroom; and an Italian marble chimney-piece formerly at Downhill Castle in County Londonderry.
The demesne itself is now diminished, with trees near the house, a small artificial lake and lawns where a 19th century formal garden was once laid out.
The walled garden is used as a field. Robert Adam’s stable block is approached via a contemporary gate lodge of 1820.
The impressive village entrance to the house is by Edward Blore (1837) and has a gate lodge hidden behind it.
Today the demesne is home to Sir Robin and Lady Kinahan's son, Danny Kinahan DL MP, and his family, though it is currently (April, 2016) for sale.
I have met the late Sir Robin several times: When he was Lord-Lieutenant of Belfast at ceremonies in the Ulster Hall; and as chairman of the board of Belfast Cathedral. I recall him well. A true gentleman indeed.First published in March, 2010. Templetown arms courtesy of European Heraldry.