THEOPHILUS SANDFORD, descended from a good family in Yorkshire, obtained grants of land in Ireland for his services during the civil wars, as a captain in Reynolds' regiment.
He settled at Castlerea, County Roscommon; and from him lineally descended
COLONEL HENRY SANDFORD, of Castlerea, who married, in 1692, Elizabeth, daughter of the Rt Hon Robert FitzGerald, and was succeeded at his decease by his eldest son,
ROBERT SANDFORD, MP for County Roscommon in 1715.
This gentleman wedded, in 1717, Henrietta, second daughter of William, 3rd Earl of Inchiquin, and had issue,
HENRY, his heir;Mr Sandford was succeeded, at his decease, in 1777, by his eldest son,
Robert, major-general, and governor of Galway;
HENRY SANDFORD, MP for County Roscommon in 1745, who married, in 1750, Sarah, eldest daughter of Stephen, 1st Viscount Mount Cashell, and had issue,
HENRY MOORE, of whom we treat;Mr Sandford died in 1797, and was succeeded by his eldest son,
William (Rev); father of HENRY, 2nd Baron;
GEORGE, 3rd Baron;
HENRY MOORE SANDFORD (1751-1814), who was elevated to the peerage, in 1800, by the title of BARON MOUNT SANDFORD, of Castlerea, County Roscommon, with remainder, in default of male issue, to his brothers and their male descendants.
His lordship espoused, in 1780, Catherine, eldest daughter of the Rt Hon Silver Oliver, of Castle Oliver, County Limerick; but dying childless, in 1814, the barony devolved, according to the limitation, upon his nephew,
HENRY, 2nd Baron (1805-28), MP for Roscommon in 1745.
This nobleman being brutally slain in a riot at Windsor, and dying unmarried in 1828, the barony reverted to his uncle,
GEORGE, 3rd Baron (1756-1846).
The title became extinct in 1846 following the death of the 3rd Baron.
CASTLEREA HOUSE, near Castlerea, County Roscommon, was a large 17th century (ca 1640) block of three storeys over a basement, with 19th century wings of two storeys over a basement.
The main block of seven bays was plain; while the wings had balustraded parapets.
The three-bay side of the left wing served as the entrance front.
The house is now demolished and the demesne serves as a public park.
Mount Sandford arms courtesy of European Heraldry. First published in January, 2012.