Saturday 6 October 2012

Gran Canaria: XIV

I had an informal meal at a bar-restaurant called Gio's last night. I fancied risotto again, so ordered the mushroom risotto with Porcini; and some garlic bread with Mozzarella cheese.

I had a similar meal several nights ago at Mamma Mia's, which was of a good standard, though ungenerous in its portion.

Gio's risotto was generous in size, though, with plenty of mushroom and parsley on the side. Its deficiency, however, was that it lacked the finesse ~ the viscosity, if that's the word ~ of Mamma Mia's.

I asked for the bill and it came to €22.50, which included the risotto, garlic bread and a soft drink.

I gave them a €50 note.

When the waiter brought me my change, he did indeed count it at the table. However, within seconds of his leaving, I realised that he had short-changed me by €10.

It was quite busy. I eventually beckoned him over and he went through the usual rigmarole of counting it out in front of me, seeing his error and correcting it.

In fairness, were one to give him the benefit of the doubt, it was a simple error; though one always suspects dishonesty.

I am of the opinion that if there is an opportunity for more profit, some unscrupulous folk might just take advantage; whether it be short-changing or over-charging.

Bear in mind that consumers can also be overcharged, in the form of adding an "extra" to a large bill, if they think they'll "get away with" it, especially for large parties.

In my case, I had a large bank-note and paid for a small amount; ergo, room for error.

Caveat Emptor!

The moral is: Be ever vigilant, Tourist.

No comments :