Wednesday 5 June 2013

Caisson Gate

I mounted the trusty two-wheeler this morning and cycled into Belfast, via Titanic Quarter.

Dismounting at Fountain Street, I ambled in to Sawers in order to see if they had any of their fine scampi ~ affirmative.

Once again, my mission was largely accomplished within the hallowed walls of the Linenhall Library, where I managed to obtain an image of Lord Lismore's arms.


Also on the agenda was the lineage of the Leslies of Ballibay.

I purchased a birthday-card at Paperchase, in Arthur Street, for an old pal I'm visiting in London soon.

 TAXIS PARKED ON THE NEW BUS-LANE AT DONEGALL SQUARE NORTH

SS Nomadic is looking well and having a bit of a spruce-up. The ancient Caisson gate (top), built in 1867, sits in front of Nomadic's bow.

To a blissfully unaware cove like me, this "gate" is more like a plain, rather ugly, boat of some kind. Seemingly it plugged the entrance to the Hamilton dry dock, before permanent gates were constructed.

1 comment :

Anonymous said...

you are underestimating the importance of the gate : it was given a yard number by Harland and Wolff the builders, and in fact its construction is a very interesting and rare example of ship construction of the 1860s